Sign in to follow this  
Guest missamo80

Landing in snow on Denali misson?

Guest missamo80

Anyone have any tips for how to and and stop at the medical camp in the Denali mission? I've tried about 10 times and can't seem to stop sliding even though I come uphill.It's complicated by the fact that after I land FSX draws my plane IN the mountain, which makes it nearly impossible to see what's going on. The plane's tail, for example, is through into the mountain. Sometimes the whole plane is inside and it looks like everything is upside down :(Neil

Are you remembering to raise the skis after touchdown? If you don't, you'll slide forever.HTHVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest possum

I have only tried the mission once, but when I raised the skis it crashed my plane? Maybe to much speed or something, I'm not sure but man it sure made me mad lol

Guest missamo80

It took me about 20 tries today but I finally got it. I had to come in and land across the face of the glacier, facing slightly uphill. One one attempt I actually crashed by running *into* the injured hiker. Once I stopped I pulled up the skis and that held me stopped long enough for the sim to register I was there. Then I started sliding backwards, but that was fine. Drop the skis, throw the throttle forward, and get the heck out of there.Never did figure out the "falling through the mountain" thing though. Very ugly bug.Neil

Guest sjuk72

Hi all,I had the same "aircraft intersecting the landscape" problem, but I had forgot to put my ski's down, so partly my fault but FSX shouldn't render under the landscape no matter what.As for the medical site part of this mission, I've only attempted it once, without success (ended up sliding into the mountain, I'll try the tip about retracting the ski's after landing).I'm glad to hear people enjoying the missions as much as I am. It's a great addition to FSX. I will look into writing a mission in the near future, I'm thinking a simple one to start with... Taking tourists on a castle seeing tour around the UK.Regards,webmaster@fsxhome.comwww.fsxhome.com - Home of the Mission Logger add-on for FSX.

It is very difficult to land at medical camp. Even after doing to many times It may still take me 2 or 3 tries before I get it. The secret is to come in as slow as possible without stalling. The trouble is that at high altitude you're hanging on the edge of stalling at relatively high speed. Land as close to the ridge as possible, raise your flaps immediately and use the hill to your advantage.Usually I come in a little too fast and slide right past the camp, go up the hill, turn around and slide right by him again going down hill then takeoff and try again... However a few times I've been able to come in slow enough and land early enough to actually stop at the camp on the first try. It is possible.As for going into the mountain, the scenery is loading in and what looks "solid" isn't yet. If you have tweaked the fiber frame setting in FSX.CFG to get higher frame rates, you may have the scenery loading too slowly to keep up. Although it would be a bit of an immersion killer, you can pause before landing and wait for the scenery to fully load in first. I don't like that solution, but it's better than going into the mountain.

Guest Ichinin

>One one attempt I actually crashed by running>*into* the injured hiker. Well, that takes care of the problem doesnt it? *splat* -"Base.. the hiker has dissapeared. Returning to the airfield." :DI took the mission a few days ago, i landed below the spot and kept going up, turned around as i started to glide backwards. Got some speed downwards and the nose turned downhill, but i turned the airplane back towards the mountain and gave full throttle and managed to stop and slowly go back up.All that work for some pancakes...

Guest atlantic73

if this makes any sense land of the shorter side of the slope and not on the longer side as u fly up to it, i cant remember what direction this was but it worked first time stopping me rite at the camp and then just hold the plane with medium throttle and then ease round the camp and off the cliff we go.

Guest Captain Dad

This is what I do for a living (911) so I really enjoyed this mission.Remember, you are at 7,000 and 14,000 ft. (not sea level) Land with the flaps UP and Skies DOWN or you'll stall like a dead duck. Lock the Tailgear and keep 'er straight. NOW drop the flaps after touchdown.Maintain the Camp level and let the ground come to you as slow as possible, (about 60 knots) then RAISE the skies as you taxi across the slope. Look for the Orange Traffic cones at Base Camp.I slid like crazy anyway: crashed into the tents once! OUCH!The 14,000 ft landing is tough, but can be done if you come in across the high snow field, not along it. Fly parellel to the Camp, then hard left to make the approach. Good Luck. You'll get a Hero's Medal of Courage later by the King Air at the airfield.::-spacecraft

Guest US95Smitty

I did it on the second time for the base camp and first the rescue.The way I did it was. 1) fly in low2) slow as much as possable and stay in the air3) just before landing Drop flaps full to slow more at touch down4) point plane in direction I want to skid and give throttle as needed to straighten plane out.5) I choose a slope to stop at: Even if slight slope (I used propeller thrust to hold me in place and keep from sliding back)Key is using throttle right

Guest froggy

Hi,In the information on landing with skis, there is a remark, that you should raise the skis when you land. They should sunk in the snow and prevent sliding. But somehow this dosen't work :)For this landing, after 5 or 10 attempts, I found that there is a flat spot near the injured guy, on the opposite side than the camp (I think it is to the north).It can require a few attempts, if you doesn't stop sliding then turn downhill, set full throttle and takeoff. After a few times you should find the right spot.

Guest nickle

Here's my solution:Leave the wheels down.MS advice to lower the wheels for control always ends up in termination.At base camp, 80mph during the turn to final, full flap.Touchdown needs to be as close to the far end of the orange strip markers as possible.Only braking is gravity from running uphill so late touch won't stop it.I've stopped both sides of base camp.Pointing uphill and using power to hold.It will slide backwards.If above 80 or long, go around.If moving too fast by camp ease the nose around and downhill run to TO and try again.Medical Camp.The a/c has one 177lb pilot, 427 lbs cargo and 50pct fuel. That combo is 75 lbs less than max weight.The weight isn't off loaded at Base.The A/C is overloaded by far for 14k landing.I increased prop and engine scalar so that the same loaded a/c will climb at 500 fpm 14k to 15k wings level in A/P and 90 mph.Service Ceiling is 20k so 500 fpm at 15k isn't unreasonable.Scalar is 1.05.Landing is a matter of luck.I've tried the snow field to the right of the camp and was able to U turn for TO and another try.Second was right at the camp, over a hill, down, up and stop with power by the camp. Just luck.On return, nasty Xwind Talkeetna and the Maule isn't a good X wind a/c.I would use zero or no flap.

Guest nickle

My mistake on weight.The total weight pilot and cargo is 437lbs.Cargo is 260lbs.Find in Missions file.

I stopped by using water to zig-zag back and forth. That drops the speed almost as quickl as using the breaks. It is also a very effective manuever in the DHC-2 Beaver.:)