Sign in to follow this  
Guest viking77

when to use "arealanding"

Guest viking77

I was attempting to use this trigger at an airport instead of a proximity trigger.. but it doesn't seem to work as I thought it would. I linked a rectangle area of course. So.. what is the intention of this trigger? Is there a time to use it rather than a proximity trigger?

Guest rightnumberone

Here's how I use these three triggers (someone else might use them differently, but this seems to make the most sense to me anyways):If I want to trigger an event based on someone landing at a specified predictable airport (because I "directed" them to it) then I use an "AirportLandingTrigger" ..... this trigger allows you to check to make sure they landed on the correct runway (among other things).If I want to trigger an event based on someone landing ANYWHERE else that I might direct them to(for example, on a helipad that isn't at an airport), then I used an "AreaLandingTrigger" and link it to a predefined Area Definition that encompasses that helipad.If I want to trigger an event based on someone just ENTERING an area, then I use a ProximityTrigger. A good example of this is when you want to fire off a sound when someone approaches an LZ in a chopper (nears it, but isn't required to land to fire off the event). I used this one time to fire off a siren when someone approached an LZ that had an ambulance sitting next to it. I also use it to fire off sounds when the Player comes near the airport I directed him to to fire off dialog based on his approach (tower dialog, that sort of thing).Hope that's helpful.

Guest archtx

Good explanation. One additional point made by P-12C is that on tripping an airport landing trigger, the user must slow to a certain speed before turning off of the runway onto a taxiway.