Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sebriviere

Helico mission 12: landing on the Yatch

Guest Sebriviere

That is where I am stuck. I have successfully "landed" about 10 to 15 times on this pad, but each time:It is a collision with object,and the yatch keeps going and disappear from under my chopper.As anyone got some info on why it does that?Cause when I "crash" according to it, I hit the pad, more or less centered.Any advise? (my settings for flying are per hoversafe guidelines...)Thanks.

Guest Captain Dad

Hmmm,That's a good question. I had fun with this mission.Pursue the Yacht until it travels in a straight line. I set my Realism on "medium" with collision enabled. If you don't, you may just sink into the Yacht instead of landing on it.It appears that the only place you can land successfully is on the pad...and I landed on the very rear-end of it. Did it several times.Save at regular intervals and save often. You will receive a pair of Titanium Wings for the Reward.:-spacecraft

Guest IanP

I actually landed successfully, in the middle of the pad, and completed the mission, then FS announced I had crashed despite my being absolutely stationary on the helipad!I do think that mission has problems, but it is do-able. Just keep trying. :-)Ian P.

Guest Captain Dad

A lot of Simmers have expressed that FSX has bugs in it.Good ol' Microsoft...:-spacecraft

Land softly...Otherwise it will register as a crash...You want to be basically hovering over it and set it down every so softly...I don't know what VSI that corresponds too but way under -100 FPM....guessing like 10-30fpm....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just completed this today after MANY hours of trying. All sliders max'd to the right for realism. Really hard, I thought.The key for me, in the end, was to land with a little forward pitch, so as not to drop the tail end onto the deck. Not sure, but I got the impression that I was clanging the tail rotor as I came down, previously - and like an earlier poster I thought I'd got it on a dozen occasions before finally getting there.I also saved immediately, for posterity, once the "complete" or "success" or whatever notice came up... and once I returned from the save, hoping to fly off, the bird fell off the back of the boat and crashed (without any input from me) immediately. Kinda took the shine off the achievement!

Paul Skol

Guest rightnumberone

This one is especially difficult, primarily for two reasons:1) It's a difficult landing. The yacht is always moving, so it's very difficult to hover over. If you land with too much speed, it will crash you.2) The collision granularity needed for this mission is a bit off.It took me many times before I got success on this one; and I fly helo's a LOT in FSX.Very frustrating one ... but once you get success, boy does it feel good!Cheers,Kevin D. Greenehttp://fsxmissions.blogspot.com/

Guest IanP

I actually saved the flight with me about 100yds in trail of the yacht and just kept trying until I got it. Like Kevin, I've got hundreds if not thousands of hours in FS helos, yet this one eluded me.When it said I had succeeded, then with me stationary on the pad a second later said I had crashed, I was just glad to get rid of it. The green tick is there and I ain't planning on doing it again! :-hahCheers,Ian P.(edited to fix broken smiley...)

Guest JasonV

I find this one of the hardest mission. can never land it haha

Guest Sebriviere

Thanks everyone for your support, I guess once again training and practise again and again is the key, with some luck at the end...I've done other successful ones, like oil rig mission, where the landing on the walkway is to me as tricky as the yatch, so I am not worried for my skills, just will keep on trying from time to time...

Guest Captain Dad

I actually found myself perspiring trying to do this missions' ending. Geez!:-spacecraft

Guest IanP

Just out of interest, there is definately a bug in the way FS handles landing on moving objects. If I land the R22 on an aircraft carrier, let alone the yacht, and completely power down, the helo still slides backwards as the carrier moves until such time as it falls off the back of the carrier (or side if it turns).Hopefully that's something for SP1, although I suspect there are things ACES will consider more important unfortunately.Ian P.