Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Problem with keyboard in DOS

Guest Stratus_Fractus

On my backup PC, whenever I press , it gives me an "a" with an accent. This makes it hard to do a lot of the DOS functions. How can I turn this off? Regional settings or something like that? It's running Win98SE.

Hi Greg, that's hard to tell exactly, if you don't mention what keyboard (USA, UK, French, German etc) you are using. There is some utility (on your Win98SE CD Tools->Reskit->Config->Chdoscp) that allows you to change the code page for DOS and you have to insert a rule likecountry=032,437,c:windowscommandcountry.sysin your config.sys and a rule likekeyb fr,437,c:windowscommandkeyboard.sysin your autoexec.bat. More than 10 years MS is switching our character set to a useless codepage containing characters, only used in the very north countries of Europe. So we have them to switch back to the standard USA code page (437).hm

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Hmm. I'm using the US English keyboard.

Hi Greg,In that case your keyboard decoding is wrong. I would open the keyboard and clean the printed circuit board inside. Maybe some dirt is shortcutting some paths on it. Use a cannister compressed air to blow all dirt away or a brush, no water. That may help.hm

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Hi,I'd rather not go that far. The key works fine in Windows, just not in DOS. It was working fine before I reformatted, and I remember that there was something I had to change as it was doing that when I first got the computer. This was my first reformat since then.Thanks