Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kamatz

Altitude issues in Denali Base Camp

Guest Kamatz

Alright... So I made it up to the base camp easily enough, but when I opt to try and pick up the injured climber I find the plane just downright underpowered. I'm supposed to fly up to 15000 feet, and I can't get it above 10,500. Is there something I'm missing here? I know the air is thin up here and it's hard to get lift. I fly full throttle, rich mix, prop at 100% (What's that for anyhow? I assume it's prop angle but which way is which? 100% is sharp angle and 0 is flat/feathered?)Flaps up, and maintaining a very gentle rate of climb, perhaps 100 feet per minute. But I just can't get up there... What the heck?

Guest Gunner_CAF

It just takes time to get up there, even at rich mixture. Lean your fuel mixture at higher altitudes for more power.Check out the Learning Center, Controlling the Engine in FSX. It has a good information on Prop and Mixture controls.Gunner

Guest Kamatz

Thanks, that helped a lot. My logic was right about the prop thing, though it didn't seem to make much difference when I tried it. Didn't know about the mixture though.

Guest Gunner_CAF

I guess I had the auto mixture setting "on" in my realism settings, so when I first did this mission, I didn't adjust the mixture settings. But it still took a long time doing circles to get up to that altitude. And make sure your high enough when you go in for a landing, you will only have one shot at it :)One tip, save the mission right before you try the landing, it is a bit tricky to find a place to land. It will save a bunch of time climbing back up for anogher try. I think people who would do this in real life have to be crazy :)Glad it helped, good luck!Gunner

I had to circle about 12 times to gain enough hight for that landing, fortunately I pulled it off first go, taking off again was interesting, the area I chose for the take off run seemed long enough but it soon became apparent it wasn't !!! it was a sheer drop so I just went for it anyway, dipped the nose after going over the cliff edge and picked up airspeed that way, pulled up with plenty of room before going home.Great mission :)

Did you have the Alternate Air on? That makes a big difference. (If you have already completed the CAP Rescue mission you probably know this):)