Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bes

Limited Options- Possible to make it to Mali?

Guest Bes

Hi I have tried this mission about 5 times but always end up ditching about 5 miles from Mali, using -1700Ft/Min descent. I can make it to the other airport fine.Is is even possible to make it to Mali?Thanks

I have made it to Male. Here is what I did:As soon as the first engine cuts out I put the other one up to almost full power and I might have climbed but I'm prety sure I didn't. Here is the other thing that helped me, when I had tried for Male before, I had hand flown it, this time I set the autopilot on a direct course for Male and set the altitude hold switch for "10000" (THAT DOESN'T MEAN TO MAKE A STEEP DESCENT TO THAT ALTITUDE! You must do it very gradually). You then spend the rest of the flight tweaking the feet per minute dial back and forth to maintain the best glide speed (190kts I believe). One last trick, when you are just starting to descend , you should have a lot of speed, set the auotopilot for a very shallow descent (try -500 feet per min) until your airspeed drops to about 200kts. Then constantly adjust the rate of descent so that you are always at 190kts (the autopilot should be on for the whole flght until final approach. You don't lose as much altitude that way). As a side note, it is possible to land the 737 at the closer airport, I've done it. I hope this helps and good luck on completing the mission!

Guest Bes

Cool I have made it to the closer one easily and the landing was fine, just wanted to know if the Mali option was a red herring.Will give it a go later :D

Meh, no wonder... I've kept making it to the original destination even with enough fuel to taxi to the gate, and wondering why it never completes (just throttle back to 200kias and set descent to -500ft/min; coast the rest of the descent at idle). I'll have to try Male instead! :D

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Ummm, BOTH of your engines are supposed to quit. If yours are still on, something's wrong with your mission file.

Guest kd001

I was surprised that I could still use the spoilers after the both the engines quit. Don't the spoilers stop working in reality after dual engine failure?