Sign in to follow this  
Chase

ILS Landings in 0 Visibility

I haven't really tinkered around with auto land before, but I am able to get AP to line up with the runway. I just don't know how I'm supposed to know how much to descend in zero visibility. So is there a way for the AP's FD to do a vertical guide too?I hope this makes sense...This is in the 747 Landing in a monsoon! :)

Guest eivlevo

In the monsoon approach you can utilize the autopilots approach hold mode.The NAV1 radio should have the frequency for the runways localizer dialed in (make sure you have "the switch of death" nav/gps in nav mode. Once the tower gives you radar vectors to intercept the localizer (horizontal course) activate approach mode. watch for the needle on your MFD to begin to swing in. As soon as the needle begins to move across horizontally the autopilot should automatically disengage the heading hold switch. Then, once the glideslope comes alive (vertical course) the approach mode should disengage the altitude hold and begin your descent. Once you reach minimums (typically 200ft for most ILS approaches but it can be found on the approach plate) if you see any one of 10 items (which i wont get into in great detail) you may continue the approach. Essentially if you see the runway, disengage the autopilot and continue to the runway. If you are at 200ft (or whatever the minimums are) and you do not see the runway you MUST MUST MUST execute a missed approach.I've done the mission though. You'll see the runway. If you set you're autobrake to max. you'll stop in no time. Even if you botch the landing.~DAVE