Sign in to follow this  
Wnuk

Avalanch Rescue Mission in Acceleration

Ok, so after completing the avalanche portion, I can find the injured climber but can't seem to rescue him. I hover over him for about 20 seconds but nothing happened. I tried lowering the hoist cable yet there was no animation showing it dropping. What am I missing here??Jim

Are you within the right height parameters? I've not tried this one yet but from what I've seen you need to be within a certain height range.I think you need to attach/release the hoist cable as well, key press O I think.

Guest deltatango

>Ok, so after completing the avalanche portion, I can find the>injured climber but can't seem to rescue him. I hover over him>for about 20 seconds but nothing happened. I tried lowering>the hoist cable yet there was no animation showing it>dropping. What am I missing here??>>JimI'm also having this problem in this mission and in the Baltic sea rescue mission. I have been hovering at different heights, etc for about 45 mins. The brief says you must hover (for the baltic mission) at "about 100ft". I tried this and nothing. the cable is also longer than 100ft too. Although I can hover real good now, nothing is happening. Anyone completed these two missions? Any tips?

Guest Gunner_CAF

I have completed the Avalanche mission. Jim, you should see the cable lower. Make sure the Hoist Arm is extended (CTL U), then lower the cable (J). Make sure you see the message on the upper left part of the screen that will tell you when the cable hook is open or activate (I can't remember the exact message). Toggle this with the O key.You need to make sure the cable is out far enough, and you don't have too much cable out. It is hard to see this, but the cable will curl at the end when it touches the ground. You need to get the end of the cable near the people you are trying to pick up.Getting the right view to see what is going on is hard. You can't see the horizon, so the outside view is difficult. Someone posted 2D panels for the MFDs that can be used in the outside view. Some people open a window with another view, but this kills my frame rates. Another way I did this was to put it in a hover, then pause. Go to the outside view to see what is going on, then back to the cockpit to adjust my position and repeat. When you get him on the cable, raise the cable (K). When he is all the way up, release the hook (O) to get him inside.Gunner

Guest deltatango

Thanks for the reply Gunner. That all sounds about right and that's how it's supposed to work. It does work like that for me in the slingload tutorial (I can pick up the diver, etc). But in the two missions mentioned above, nothing happens...

Guest NeXTer

Both of the mentioned missions work just fine. Just make sure the end of the hoist cable is within a meter or so of the person to be lifted. I recommend the hoist view window open over the empty panel space.Hover at a comfortable altitude and lower the cable. Watch the tip curl as it hits the ground or water and stop the cable. Increase altitude a tad until it uncurls and note the altitude on the radio altimeter.Keep a steady hover over the target at this exact altitude and it should lock on and you can start reeling in the catch.

I'm going to go back & try this one again. I know it must be me! I also tried opening a new "top down" window to help aid with the visual clues but it does take a toll on overall frame rate on my end too.Jim

Jim,When I did the Baltic Sea Rescue, I "discovered" that I needed to be at approx. 315ft on the radar altimiter for the hoist. I too struggled at 100ft but my discovery came after I managed to hookup one individual off the boat (at about 100ft) and the cable acted like a bungee chord, rocketing the hapless fellow up thru the rotor blades of the EH101. After that I noticed, when spooling out the hoist cable, below approx. 300ft on the RA the cable would start to coil up on the surface of the water... so I adjusted my height to where the cable end first seems to clear the water's surface.My deep frustration comes from (and resulting plea for help)... how to get the individual inside the helicopter so that he clears the the EH101's right sponson/wheel well. My technique of maintaining a "tight" hover (minimal lateral/fore-aft movement) then tipping the aircraft slightly nose down just prior to the hoisted individual reaching the sponson... just a couple degrees below the horizon/not enough to gain any forward momentum... worked well in the Baltic mission. Not really working so well in the Avalanche mission... like 1 out of 4 attempts. Very frustrating as the cable seems to "naturally" angle rearward even in 0 degrees of pitch attitude.Another thing, make sure you don't accidently hit "O" a second time after hitting it the first to release the individual. This will break the hook and cause the rescued individual to be ejected from the helicopter. In the Baltic mission if you do this and go back to "continue flying" after mission failure, you can actually hear the dude meister splash in the ocean after watching him fall.Btw, if you end up using only 20 secs to hook the guy... that would be impressive. I mean, in the Baltic I was fairly successful at hooking quickly, but up there on Mt. Hood it has taken me a number of minutes to hook the guy. Of course, I think having to fly using an Xbox 360 controller makes things much more difficult.Again try about 315ft on the RA... hope this helps.Rob O.

I got the guy on Mt Hood in about 10-15 seconds, but then again I have been flying FS helos for several years so I have all the maneuvers down including the autorotation. I actually hover as low as I can so there is less cable to swing around. I used the "Slingload" view in the "Aircraft" category for most of the time I was winching the guys off the boat. It only 3-5 minutews to get the 4 guys on the boat into the chopper but finding the guy in the water and keeping him in view when trying to hook him was REALLY hard. Here's a tip, when you're rescuing the guy in the water (if it's dark) set up your postion and view so that he is in the middle of the glare of the sun on the water. That way he is somewhat illuminated because the landing lights don't light him up.The one problem I had with the Mt Hood mission was that, when I landed on the hospital pad in Portland but I didn't get the "Success"announcement...

Guest snowpilot123

what are the coords for the ship in the baltic sea rescue mission...I cant even find it lol

Guest KG64_Cnopicilin

Bump bump bump.I can't find the ship neither.

Guest KG64_Cnopicilin

OK I found it but the floating fisherman is nowhere to be found.