Sign in to follow this  
Guest seker2k

Resort Supply Mission Last Part

Guest seker2k

In the last part of the mission when the engine fails, I feather the engine as suggested but I still cannot gain any altitude or get speed past 80 knots. I followed the river all the way to the end but then I am forced to crash since I can't get altitude above the docks and buildings.How does one complete this mission?

I finished the mission and was actually able to gain enough altitude to get over the mountains and landed ok. Just fly straight and level till you get speed, climb a little and repeat, that is how I did it...Good Luck!

Follow the river and don't try to climb over the mountains. You can set up a key command for the alternate air since induction icing is part of the problem on this mission and there are no provisions on the Baron's FSX panel for this switch, in the real aircraft it is automatic.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest NeXTer

Oh! So that is the problem with the Baron? I've always had issues flying that plane in less than perfect weather since it gets iced up and falls out of the sky just by thinking of going near a spot of bad weather...I'm sure it's a good thing to learn that icing is an important factor, but when you find yourself running as fast as you can in the other direction when there's a hint of clouds in your flightpath, it's gone a tad too far I believe...Will definitely have to try that.

Guest blackie7319

I flew the mission a while back and didn't remember problems. After reading this post I flew the mission again and I did notice that,right after the engine failed when I trimmed the rudder, the RPM's dropped a little.I simply pulled back on the throttle then shoved it back forward all the way.The one good engine went back up to full power. You can actually climb 300 to 500 FPM and maintain 90-100 knots. You need to do this anyway gain as much altitude as you can whether you fly the river valley or shortcut over the mountains because in a real life situation you don't know that the other engine won't fail. and the the more altitude you gain the more options you have in the worst case scenario. Anyway your problem may be hardware related or maybe there is a slight glitch in the software. But if you can't gain altitude, try resetting your throttle by doing what I mentioned. It worked for me so it may work for you. Good luck!Blackie

Guest blackie7319

Zfehr,FYI, there are switches for Pitot, Prop and Boot in the Baron. You need to switch from Vitual cockpit to regular cockpit view. Then you can turn the switches on and off with the mouse. Just as there is no 'Engine off' Key assigned, You can, in the the regular cockpit, turn the engine(s) off and also start them if they are off with ignition key.(mouse activated)Blackie

Hi Blackie,FYI, I'm using a PFC Cirrus Cat II hardware that has all the switches on it. I will use pitot heat, prop heat and cycle boots like I would when really flying. The bug in MSFS in the Baron and other fuel injected piston engines has been around since FS2002, cycling carb heat even though this is not a true feature in a fuel injected engine is the only way out of it. In the real aircraft the alternate air intake is automatically triggered by spring loaded doors in the engine compartment when the primary induction starts to ice up, therefore the Baron is correctly modeled by not having a cockpit control for this feature.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest blackie7319

Zfehr,I,m not sure I'm understanding what you are telling me. I was responding to your message "there are no provisions on the Baron's FSX panel for this switch, in the real aircraft it is automatic."And in the Baron's (FSX Simulator) Cockpit, the three switches are fully functional. So doesn't that make the model incorrect if they don't exist in the real plane?Blackie

Hi Blackie,The switches in which you refer do exist in the real aircraft. You have a pitot heat, fuel vent, stall warning, prop heat, windshield and wing boots (which is labeled surface). The functional ones within FSX are pitot, prop and surface. None of these switches has to do with the engine operation. Carburated aircraft will use carb heat when the induction system encounters icing which I have had happen flying over Long Beach, CA before. In a case such as that you pull the carb heat knob to change the air intake to a different inlet which pulls warmed air from around the engine to melt the ice... the side effect is you produce less power. In a fuel injected aircraft such as the Bonanza and Baron this is not an option but you do have an alternate air intake which as I explained is automatic on those engines. When the induction system starts to ice up the added suction will cause an alternate air intake to automatically open keeping air going into the engine. Other fuel injected aircraft sometimes have this a pilot operated switch or pull lever like found in a Seneca or Maule. MSFS modeling of fuel injected engines should not cause a need for carb heat but it is a bug in the flight dynamics engine that will cause this to happen in the correct circumstances. The work around is to have a key command for carb heat so you can activate this feature when the need arises. My Cirrus II has a pull switch which activates carb heat in carburated aircraft and alternate air when flying a fuel injected aircraft. In turbine aircraft this switch activates the inertial seperator which is to prevent sucking something foreign into the turbine engine and damaging it, when flying in conditions prone to ice buildup you turn this on.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest blackie7319

Hi Zfehr,Thanks for the detailed explanation. It was my misunderstanding of your first post that caused my dilemma. The radio operated in mission referred to the pitot heat and boot and I was thinking you were referring to those switches. I see the error of my ways.I will have to admit that the only real planes that I've flown had carburetor heat but no pitot heat or boot. Old 46 T-craft, a little time in an Aeronica champ and several hours in the J3. I did enjoy the right seat of a Cessna 421 flying with our corporate pilot but no takeoffs or landings. That was the only multi engine plane I have had my hands on. And that was limited. Anyway thanks for bringing me up to date on the Baron and good flying!Blackie

Guest Shalomar

I had no problem with induction icing after I turned on four gold switches above the mags in the VC. Engine RPM almost imediately returned to normal.This mission is a blast, don't let the "beginner" category scare you off...Best Regards, Donald T. :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.