Sign in to follow this  
Guest blackie7319

Kwazulu Rhino Rescue

Guest blackie7319

Has anyone ever caught the poachers when they turn south? I think there must be a glitch in the southern scenario. I don't have a problem when they turn north, but when they turn south, It's okay when you land on the side road but when you land the second time landing on the road they are on, their truck come right thriough the helicopter. I've tried landing various distances from the intersection but it makes no difference the poachers either get away or disable your aircraft with gunfire. So my advice would be , if they turn south don't even try to land on the road. Just keep your distance until they get away, then go to the airstrip and complete the mission in the DC-3. If you haven't flown this mission before and they do turn north, after they turn on the side road and try to hide in the trees, don't hover over them or they'll shoot you down. You need to dive over the trees at high speed untill they flush out, then you can follow them to the trap.Blackie

Guest NeXTer

Had to refly the mission a few times myself. The tricky part is getting to the second crossroad as quickly as possible. You pretty much need to be in the air the moment they cross the first one, fly at top speed to the second and do a hard 180 to stop and land before they get too close.Never tried catching them going the other direction since I thought it was a bug...

Guest fsxmissionguy

The poachers can be caught no matter where they go if you are a Bell Jedi Master.

Guest NeXTer

I'll give it a try sometime. Just need to get my new video card delivered first. Somewhat tricky to fly without one...

>The poachers can be caught no matter where they go if you are>a Bell Jedi Master.I caught them, does that mean I get to be a Jedi Master of the Agusta-Westland order?:-wedge :-lol I modified the mission cfg to use the EH101 instead of the Bell 206, it's a lot more fun!

Guest fsxmissionguy

Snip: "I modified the mission cfg to use the EH101 ..."No need to do that ... just check the box "Enable Changes in Selected Mission."You won't earn the reward ... but then again, you wouldn't want to earn it by cheating anyway, right?Right?;)(BTW: Finishing Kwazulu gets you into the Padawan program. You have to save all the victims of Palm 90 to actually become a Jedi.)

Guest NeXTer

Where (or what) is this "Palm 90" mission I've heard about a couple of times, fsxmissionguy? I think you've mentioned it before together with another mission as well...

Guest fsxmissionguy

Palm 90 was a mission I gave away as freeware in late 2006. It is a documentary mission of the last flight of Air Florida Flight 90, and the ensuing rescue of its passengers. It is a helicopter mission featuring the Bell Jet Ranger.You can still get it here:http://www.box.net/shared/q8t46n4hkqCheers,Kevin

Guest NeXTer

Thanks! I'll fly that as soon as my video card arrives on Friday (hopefully). I'm a real sucker for missions and helicopter missions in particular.On another note, I read up in the accident and was quite shocked by the lack of competence displayed by the captain. A real shame that so many people lost their lives. Accidents due to unexpected events is one thing, complete disregard for safe aircraft handling and passenger safety is quite another...

Guest fsxmissionguy

I was shocked by the seeming indifference of the crew to the de-icing procedures. According to the cockpit voice recordings, both of these pilots ... who really were not accustomed to flying in weather of this type ... commented that they didn't believe deicing was useful.You will hear, recreated in the mission, much of the cockpit conversation that most people are unaware of.Here's a report of the disaster that I found on YouTube:Part 1:http://youtube.com/watch?v=m2ww2rCbX94&feature=relatedPart 2:http://youtube.com/watch?v=ASBb-oMT5EU&feature=relatedPart 3:http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iz34reivAqc&feature=relatedPart 4:http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oycu1pXxfaU&feature=related

Using the EH-101 isn't cheating, it just means that the game park has supporters with deep pockets.:-lol I completed the Mt St Helens Rescue mission, the Baltic Sea Rescue mission, the Avalanche mission, and all the other rescue missions in the game on full realism settings, does that count enough to make me a Jedi?:7 :-wave BTW, I'm downloading the Palm 90 mission.

Guest fsxmissionguy

"I'm downloading the Palm 90 mission ..."Once you finish that one, you will be a Jedi (perhaps not a Jedi Master ... but you can wear the cloak.)

Guest jnel

Wow, thanks Kevin! That was a fantastic mission, and such a great tribute to two incredibly brave guys. I felt, in a way, like I was honoring them to complete it.Morser

Guest fsxmissionguy

Morser,Thanks a lot for your kind comments. The word hero is bandied about a lot in this day and age. What I find satisfying is that when real heroes reveal themselves, we all seem to instinctively see the difference.There were a lot of them that day ... just ordinary citizens who acted with total selflessness to come to the aid of their fellow human beings - all the while at significant risk of death to themselves.True heroes all.As I was designing that mission, I realized that one day maybe, the people who participated, the people who survived, might see it. I wanted to make sure they would feel nothing but honor.I hope I succeeded.Cheers,Kevin

Guest jnel

Kevin, you surely did succeed, and admirably so. In my opinion one of the best designed and executed missions in fsx, and one of the most satisfying to complete. A true work from the heart by someone who recognizes and is rightly moved by the the genuine acts of heroism and selflessness that some individuals are capable of performing in crisis to help their fellows.Lucky for me to discover it buried in this Rhino thread...I've since found and read the longer thread from January 2007 when it was released. As was said then, and deserves to be said again, truly one of the most amazing projects ever executed in a flightsim.Morser