Sign in to follow this  
Guest swin27

Need Help with ACCEL Resort Supply Mission

Guest swin27

Ok... I dont know what I am doing wrong, or what I have overlooked. But for some reason, after many many attempts, I just can NOT get this plane to succefully climb over the mountains, to get to the final airstrip, to drop off the co-pilot at the Maul. I have been looking through all the Forum, and can see that for the most part the rest of you have had NO trouble... THEN WHY ME!! errrr. Anyway, I dont do much high altitude mountain flying so this might contribute.... PLEASE anyone out there with an idea HELP! :)Scott

Guest fsxmissionguy

This was a tough, tough, tough one for me too, so don't feel bad.I doubt that I did it correctly, but I eventually made it over the mountains by searching for the lowest point that I could find to get over them. I went way, way out of the way to get over them. Maybe 20 miles out of the way ... just because I could not figure any other way to get over.I'd be interested to hear how other people solved the problem of the Maule's lack of power at this altitude.Cheers,

Guest swin27

WOW.... you mean to say I aint the only one!! lolThen riddle me this Batman... I decided to even do some test flighs with the Baron, to see what altitude I could get... all things considered, being that I could figure that the max altitude I was seeing in this mission was around 11000 or so. So during my test flights, I got up to over 18000 with only adjusting the mixture manually, be it all the way thin out. Well I would still like to find out the trick.Scott :)

Guest j-mo

Disclaimer: I'm not a RW pilot.I've flown this mission multiple times. This is the only tricky leg. I suspect icing is the issue.Make sure you use your pitot and prop heat. I also used the di-ice boots, although I have no clue as to the correct procedure, nor if they are even modeled correctly in the sim. Turning on the terrain on your GPS is also helpful.I have done it a couple of different ways. There is a pass to your right soon after you takeoff on this leg. Take a deep breath and turn into it (you may wish to save at this point). You'll be heading roughly south at this point. Very quickly it bends west. I continued to follow this pass, and I get one of three outcomes:1. Engine maintains power. This has happened to me a couple of times. When it does, I am able to climb to 9,000 feet and easily fly over the tops of the mountains. If this happens to you, you're lucky!2. Engine begins to lose power between 5,000 and 6,000 feet. This is my usual outcome. Manage your rate of descent carefully and make sure to follow the the lowest path through the pass . The engine can spring back to life and you can gain altitude again, although 6,000 seems to be the max. You only need to accomplish this a couple of times. If you do everything correctly, you'll just barely make it at a couple of points, but you'll eventually be able to descend toward Stahekin. Slow down at this point- you have a lot of altitude to use. Go for a short field landing- there are trees at the end of the runway!3. Just like number two, except I crash into the terrain because I can't maintain altitude at the critical spots.Good luck! You'll feel a pretty good sense of accomplishment when you get this one.Cheers,AlexP.S. Kevin- I'm sure you meant to type Baron instead of Maule. It's the 58 in this mission!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/189538.jpg

Guest j-mo

I just flew this one again... and I learned something. Feeling kind of sheepish, too.I had been switching to the 2d cockpit out of convenience to turn on de-ice. Guess what: if you then look at the de-ice switches in the virtual cockpit, you see that they aren't on. So, you have to turn on de-ice in the virtual cockpit, not the 2d, for it to work correctly.Once you do this, you'll have no difficulty climbing above the mountains. THAT'S why this is in the beginner category!If you want to make this more challenging, simulate de-icer failures above the mountains and try to make it!

Guest swin27

WOW... I NEVER noticed that... that must be a error in programming,... because, I almost always have to swich over to 2D, for some of those wittches..Thanks, Scott

Guest j-mo

Hi, Scott-Maybe you already figured this out, but just in case, since you know in advance you'll be climbing over mountains in winter, cycle through the VC views while on the ground before you takeoff. You'll find a convenient view for flipping the de-ice switches.As I said in my last post, the mission is very straightforward now, as long as you manage the landing.It becomes REALLY challenging (as we all know now)without using de-ice. In fact, it's now one of my favorite flights! This is one of the few instances in FS that I really get caught up in a sense of urgency. And a real feeling of accomplishment when I make it.I don't know if it's supposed to be done this way because the narrator tells me to approach the same way as the last airport- totally unnecessary because the pass gives you plenty of time to figure out the landing, unless you've mismanaged your descent. In fact, although the flight is hair-raising, I think the landing is much easier!Regards,

Guest jbos

Also when you start climbing over the mountains without de-ice the copilot reminds you enable it. By default, the engine de-icer (whether it is carb (h)eat, alternative intake, or inertial system is toggled with the H key.

Guest j-mo

Interesting... I never heard anything from any copilot. But what this mission taught me is to pay attention to temperature and moisture... Once that is learned, one tends to check these things without prompting if one wants to keep the plane safe!

I know this is an old thread, but for any of you who are suffering the problem of being unable to climb back to the designated altitude to make it through after taking off from the airport where you drop off the Maule pilot here is a solution (as is standard with single engine failure procedures on all multiple engined aircraft, the baron being no exception to the same).1. After take off, point the plane in the direction of the valley ahead and do not try to climb over the mountains. Immediately retract gear, lift up flaps to 0 degrees and climb at VYSE (about 120knots).2. Once your engine fails, go to the engine controls view and feather the dead engine. (this stops the propeller blades from turning, thereby reducing drag)3. Close the failed engines cowl flaps (in the same engine controls view)4. Cross feed fuel from dead engine to working engine (this is optional as you will still have enough fuel left in the working engine's tank to get you to your destination)5. Set bank trim towards the dead engine to compensate for imbalanced power.6. Ensure that you climb slowly (at around 90-100knots)Even at this rate you will be able to climb very slowly. So dont try to climb very hard. Remember, the barons stall speed is around 73 knots, so keep that in mind. Always better to ensure that props heat, boots and deice are all switched on in colder climes, especially at higher altitudes. Adjust fuel mixture if you plan to go higher. Cheers

Interesting... I never heard anything from any copilot. But what this mission taught me is to pay attention to temperature and moisture... Once that is learned, one tends to check these things without prompting if one wants to keep the plane safe!