Sign in to follow this  

Slow Downloading

Guest dodger

Hello, Can someone tell me why i'm only getting 12.5 KB's a second for downloading in the file library , Thanks.

Do a tracert on our library server, and that will tell you where the problem lies. Usually, it does not lie with the AVSIM server. It usually is a bottleneck between your PC and our server somewhere.

Guest Binncott

As someone who (due to rural location) is stuck on dial-up modem, I can only dream of getting 12kb/sec.I don't know, some folks just don't know when they're well off (joke)BC

Well, you make a good point, joke or not. We forget where we came from (download speed that is). The AVSIM staff to a man, not too many years ago, did all of our work on the site with dial up. It is a shame that expectations have grown so much, uncoupled from the reality of checking their own systems, connections, hops, etc. to see where the real bottle neck is. The expectation seems to be; if I am getting lousy download speeds, it must be the host site, which is more times than not, not the case.

Guest possum

>As someone who (due to rural location) is stuck on dial-up>modem, I can only dream of getting 12kb/sec.>>I don't know, some folks just don't know when they're well off>(joke)>>BCI hear ya there. I'm doing good to get 4 kbps most of the time. Usually my big downloads are started about 10:00 and then I go to bed and install it the next morning lol.

Guest dodger

Hi Tom, I'm not having a go at you or the site Tom and infact yesterday i was getting 150Kb's , i just asked why i was only getting 12Kb's but also i understand that if the site [or any site] has a lot of users on it will cause them to slow down. And yes i have been on dial up for many years as it took BT [british Telecom] an age to get a connection for Broadband to where i live so i understand exactly how you feel BC :-(. Cheers.

Oh, I didn't interpret your message as "having a go" at AVSIM. I was just expressing more my wonder at how far we have come and that some in our community are quick to jump to the conclusion that it is the site, rather than the connection that is causing the slow downloads. That wasn't meant to be a personal dig at you. :)

Guest dodger

Hi Tom, No problems mate and while i'm talking to you, i have been a Flight Simmer for many years and Avsim was the first site i ever visited when i started, i visit nearly everyday and i just thought i would say a very big thank you for the site ,its always helped with questions i may have and still have about Flight Simming. Cheers from UK.

Guest Dr_Krall

>Oh, I didn't interpret your message as "having a go" at>AVSIM. I was just expressing more my wonder at how far we have>come and that some in our community are quick to jump to the>conclusion that it is the site, rather than the connection>that is causing the slow downloads. That wasn't meant to be a>personal dig at you. :)Well, here is my point. I have made a thoroughly

Guest jacob001

Although I know it's not Avsim's fault - what can they do about my connection? - I've just spent nearly an hour downloading a 28MB file at about 13KB/s, whilst on most sites I'll get 150KB/s or so. Then, as if just to spite me, I got an error whilst unzipping the file: 'unexpected end of file.' Downloading it again at 5KB/s... It's time to go and harass AOL I think :-)!

Guest jhfisk

>It's time to go and harass AOL I think :-)!It's not just AOL, my downloads have been especially slow lately as well. I'm not an AOL user.

Guest charithra

oh yh i get the problem as well not sure if otehrs get it. Really slow downloads only on this site. i get around 5-10kbs worse!!!

Ok everyone this is not a problem here on AVSIM. It is a setting on your machine. Please read the FAQ on this problem. I have never had problems. And no I do not get better speeds just because I work here.