Sign in to follow this  
Guest pjwhite

Avalanche Rescue mission

Guest pjwhite

This might be a dumb question, but in the Avalanche Rescue mission, I have trouble with the helicopter losing power and sinking, even when I'm at full throttle. A red warning light and a yellow warning light are lit in the cockpit, and I don't know why (and I can't read them--they're blurry).It's probably something obvious, but I'd appreciate anyone's help.Thanks

Guest fsxmissionguy

Pause the sim ... zoom in on the warning lights, and take a screenshot and post it here. I'll try to help. Can't remember any warning lights coming on in this mission.

Guest pjwhite

I changed my settings so I could read the light, and it says "rotor rpm". My throttle (and prop lever on my yoke) are in the full-forward position, so I don't understand this. I tried flying with the prop lever towards me, but that didn't fix the problem (but it did make the engine sound different). Bottom line, I'm full throttle, but descending over 1000 fpm.I'm sure it is something very obvious, probably pertaining to my lack of understanding of flying this chopper.Thanks again.Pete

Guest NeXTer

The problem you're experiencing is most likely caused by pulling too much pitch, something that will cause the rotor RPM to drop. The EH101 in FSX can be a bit tricky to fly since the gauges can be a tad hard to read depending on the zoom setting, combined with a governor issue that will cause the RPM to hunt (a search for "EH101 FSX governor fix" is recommended).Normally you don't want to pull more than about 75-85% pitch unless flying at extreme altitudes. Higher settings will give too much torque and would overstress the rotor system in a real helicopter.I would probably go as far as to suggest some more flight-time in the R22 to experiment since it has the same "problem" but has more readable gauges that will show exactly what is going on.

Guest pjwhite

Thanks!When you said "a search for "EH101 FSX governor fix" is recommended", do you mean that there's a configuration file that will fix the governor problem? I tried searching in the file library and couldn't find anything.Thanks again for your help.

Guest NeXTer

There are two lines in the aircraft.cfg file that can be fiddled with to stabilize the EH101 and make it behave more like it's supposed to.The lines are:governor_pid = 0.85, 0, 10.0, 0.01, 0.45And:weight_to_moi_factor= 0.26Try with those values and see where that takes you. Should make hoist- and slingload missions a bit more manageable.