Sign in to follow this  
rightseater

Editing default missions

Hi all,Is it possible to edit one of the default missions? I really enjoy racing the Red Bull practice course, but the touch-and-go takes away from the realism. I am more than willing to study up on how to do the work myself, I just wondered if it is possible so that I know whether or not to put forth the effort.

Guest fsxmissionguy

It is possible (it is vastly easier if you use Acceleration.)Now ... having said that ... you will not be able to distribute the edited mission unless you get permission from Microsoft and they're not going to give it to you.Instead, you could also design your own course (which is what I'm doing). It's a blast to come up with your own design and the Acceleration expansion pack makes it trivially easy.To see a preview video of the course I'm designing, look here:http://fsxploration.blogspot.com/search?up...0&max-results=1Cheers,

Great looking course you're working on. I think I will go ahead and study up on mission design, it seems like fun. I really want to recreate the courses with authenticity. A touch and go just doesn't cut it, and serves only to slow me down, which can be accomplished much more accurately with a chicane.

In the first few years of Red Bull racing, a touch and go in a small area of chalk was usually part of the course. This was the case when I designed the mission for FSX.As far as I know they stopped including this "maneuver" when the pilots started complaining about it.

You're absolutely correct, in fact, if I'm not mistaken I believe that the touch-and-go was removed in 2005. Of course since then courses over land have been very rare, and Monument Valley doesn't yield itself to a touch-and-go.I'm exstatic that Aces has brought the Red Bull Air Race to FSX. It would certainly be difficult to keep up with the rule and format changes, but I would like to see a few modifications in the next FS. 1. More courses to run without an AI opponent. 2. Practice courses over water, again without an AI opponent.//these first two would better reflect the real-world environment where racers take the course individually. It would be neat to have one racer in the holding pattern while the other takes the course//3. A chicane on at least one of the practice courses mentioned above.4. All races begin parked, as opposed to having to quickly setup for the race with little time.5. More leniency going vertical. In the Red Bull Air Race the half-cuban often separates racers by a second or more depending on whether they choose to go high and build speed into the gate, or go low and sacrifice airspeed.6. Penalites re-defined to reflect a real-world environment. If I am to high through a gate I should be penalized as opposed to having to go back through the gate. The same goes for incorrect level of flight, which should be a 3 second penalty.7. Deviating from the course should be an automatic disqualification.8. And if I haven't already asked enough, I would like to see an entire season of racing. It would blow me away to be able to recreate each race by having to qualify in the top four and going head-to-head building points along the way.Regardless of what, if any changes are done for the next FS, I just hope that Aces keeps the Red Bull Air Race around. I think it is an enormous improvement in the sim. And of course my thanks to everyone who worked so hard on bringing the air race to FSX.

It sounds like you need to buy FSX Acceleration as many of your requests are already accounted for there.It is very expensive to build high-detail course locations to the standards we did in Acceleration, so it would be virtually impossible for us to do an entire season that way. But as Kevin mentioned, it's quite easy to build the logic for new courses using the mission system components added for Acceleration.In all honestly we have found that the skill level required to fly the Red Bull courses (even the easier courses) is higher than most Flight Simulator users can handle (especially if they have any PC performance issues). As a result there doesn't seem to be very much interest in Red Bull Air Racing or air racing in general, so it isn't very profitable for us to build out new courses anytime soon.Thanks for your enthusiasm for the subject!

My apologies, I do have Acceleration. The discrepancies I was refering to was for the practice course.I'm very sorry to hear that the courses have not garnered more interest. I will be taking your advice and start working on some courses of my own. I figure it will take me some time to get the hang of building missions, but once I do I plan on recreating the entire 2007 and 2008 seasons as authentically as possible. Will the Red Bull Air Races stay in the next version?

In all honestly we have found that the skill level required to fly the Red Bull courses (even the easier courses) is higher than most Flight Simulator users can handle (especially if they have any PC performance issues).
I've found this as well in the beta testing for the course that I built. There is a fine line between making a mission very challenging and just really chapping a user's butt where they get so frustrated with the mission that they end up not enjoying it.To combat the problem, I took a hint from Microsoft and designed three missions ... each getting progressively more difficult. This allows the Player to sort of "learn the course" and the skills required to fly it before making it more difficult by adding aerobatic skills or difficult turns.My biggest problem with the Red Bull courses (as Paul mentions) is that my computer is not up to the task, especially in places like Istanbul. That scenery is so gorgeous, and so meticulously done, that it just brings my system to its knees. The race isn't flyable, unfortunately, with gear a lowly mission designer can afford.:(