Sign in to follow this  
Guest harlanpepper

BSOD - Free flight while changing views

Guest harlanpepper

Setup a free flight from Hobart, Tasmania to the South Pole Station. I was at cruising altitude ~30,000 feet in the Learjet and as I was cycling through the views (using the joystick thumb button on top - MS FF2 stick), I suddenly only had 2 view options - chase plane and the "undercarriage" view. Hitting the joystick button would toggle between these, but I couldn't get to the cockpit view any more. I hit the toggle a couple more times, confused, then the game locked up and I got the blue screen.Asus A8N-SLI PremiumAMD X2 3800+ @ 2.55GHzOCZ 2GB @ DDR466XP Pro SP2

Guest firehawk44

If you got the "BSOD" it more than likely was hardware/operating system related rather than your flight simulator. Check your memory/performance settings as it appears you were running out of memory which caused the joystick to start going whacky just before the BSOD. Did you write down the details of the error message on the BSOD? It contains some very important information which can help you pinpoint the exact cause of a BSOD (in most cases)(you can probably retrieve this info by checking your Event Viewer at the date/time the BSOD occurred. For instance, if a specific file name is identified, you can probably trace that file to a driver for a specific hardware device by searching on Google and maybe rolling back that driver to an earlier version will fix the problem. If you get an error msg with something like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL", you can try googling it or going to the MS Knowledge Base and looking for exactly what causes this error (a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location without authorization). In any case, DO NOT take a BSOD lightly, even if your system restarts and it appears the problem went away. I did and, if I had done some research (as I suggested above), I would have discovered by main harddrive (less than 6 months old) was beginning to fail and I could have taken some action to repair it instead of letting it fail and subsequently losing several personal documents and photos (RAID 0 config). Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim