Sign in to follow this  
KERNEL32

Windows 2000 crashes? Any ideas? Pls. Help!

Due to an OS crash, I replaced my Win'98 with Win'2000. In some ways, it's better: it seems like higher frames, and graphics seem smoother (except perhaps more jittering with VC cockpits). I'm still trying to optimize the display - I was having patches of black textures on some planes and ground scenery but am getting this under control. The problem is system crashes - far more frequent that 98 which might have 1 of 10 sessions crash somehow (the system; not my plane!) In Win 2000, 9 of 10 sessions end by crashing - sometimes this seems related to switching between views too quickly, but that's not always it. Any ideas? It's an AMD 850 with a 32-M Nvidia G-Force. I really want to fly . . . Ted K.

IMO you picked the wrong OS to upgrade. I believe WinXP would have been a better choice, in that, Microsoft will support it better than Win2000.However, you have Win2000, what can you do to improve the Crashes (CTD). Have you installed all the Service Packs for Win2000; installed updated drivers for your controller chips, i.e., VIA, Intel, SiS, AMD, ALi; installed updated drivers for sound, graphics adapter, NICs, modems, etc.Those are the areas I would concentrate before trying to use fs2002.

I assume you're using a Duron/Athlon system. Besides upgrading to the latest service packs and patches for W2K, it's mandatory to install the "Microsoft Windows

Thanks guys - I'm putting the package together and will try it tonight.Ted K.

That is very weird. Unless there's something wrong with 3rd party software that's running Windows 2000 rarely crashes at all. As said, it might be AMD related, or maybe you're running non-Win2000 videodrivers?

Guest Dominik Mann

Well, like Harald, I am a very satisfied Win 2K user, and since I installed it in place of Win 98SE after a total system crash about one year ago it has rarely ever acted up on me. In fact, all the games I have currently installed seem to be working just fine with 2K. I guess I'll have no choice but to go for XP some day in the future (unless Linux might have overtaken M$ by then :( ), but as long as I can keep going with 2K, you bet I will keep it on my system.

Win2K is OK choice for upgrade..anyway the only thing I can think of is, if you have a mobo with the VIA chipset it is a must ,or very advisable to install the VIA 4in1 patch. That is if Win2K crashes in games...also check, if you have DX9 installed, get the latest drivers or you might get crashes as well. I got the latest beta driver from www.guru3d.com since the oficial nvidia driver bluscreened my machine at bootup... :)

Guest Grey_Wolf

I've been running win 2000 since about 2 months after it came out, I upgraded from win 98se. These days XP might be considered a better upgrade choice, but as I've seen it XP has had its own learning curve and is still getting there. For me, win2000 had been the best thing I've ever done to a pc, short of installing flight simulater.I NEVER installed any of the microsoft updates, every time I do it seams everything goes a bit wonky. I've only had system crashes or freezes after installing microsoft updates, modifying winnit files I know I shouldnt really be playing with, or running far too much at one time. Its been like this for both my new and old computer.Drivers. Drivers has always been my biggest problem. if something isnt working I start looking for newer drivers and that has so far always fixed my problems. Sound blaster drivers has had a huge impact on improving stutters, and even gave me a few extra frames a second. the drivers that sfeldi mentioned sounds like a likely prospect as well. Personally I'd start by making sure ALL your drivers are updated. Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Language: English System Manufacturer: VIA694 System Model: AWRDACPI BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1535MHz Memory: 512MB RAMPrimary File System: NTFS DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0901)Sound card 1&2: Sound Blaster Live mp3Video card primary: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200Video card secondary: Maxi Gamer CougarHaving FunGrey_Wolf

IMO he picked the right OS to upgrade. No activation technology, supported until 2008, leaner and there are pleny of copies out there to make it prudent for MS to support it adequately--IMO.FS is running super smooth in every situation with complex aircraft, weather, FSFlightMax and Flight Deck Companion. Win2K is handling this beautifully. Never a crash--that ain't pilot error of course! I play Tiger Woods 2003 too and it's running awesome.Enjoy!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

>That is very weird. Unless there's something wrong with 3rd >party software that's running Windows 2000 rarely crashes at >all. >>As said, it might be AMD related, or maybe you're running >non-Win2000 videodrivers? That's what I was thinking.In my experience Windows 2000 is the most stable OS out there. I upgraded to it a few years ago and never looked back! :)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

>I've been running win 2000 since about 2 months after it >came out, I upgraded from win 98se. These days XP might be >considered a better upgrade choice, but as I've seen it XP >has had its own learning curve and is still getting there. >For me, win2000 had been the best thing I've ever done to a >pc, short of installing flight simulater. >>I NEVER installed any of the microsoft updates, every time I >do it seams everything goes a bit wonky. I've only had >system crashes or freezes after installing microsoft >updates, modifying winnit files I know I shouldnt really be >playing with, or running far too much at one time. Its been >like this for both my new and old computer. >>Drivers. Drivers has always been my biggest problem. if >something isnt working I start looking for newer drivers and >that has so far always fixed my problems. Sound blaster >drivers has had a huge impact on improving stutters, and >even gave me a few extra frames a second. the drivers that >sfeldi mentioned sounds like a likely prospect as well. >Personally I'd start by making sure ALL your drivers are >updated. >> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional > Language: English >System Manufacturer: VIA694 > System Model: AWRDACPI > BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG > Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, >~1535MHz > Memory: 512MB RAM >Primary File System: NTFS > DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0901) >Sound card 1&2: Sound Blaster Live mp3 >Video card primary: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 >Video card secondary: Maxi Gamer Cougar >>>Having Fun >Grey_Wolf DON"T FORGET to update to Service Pack 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest Grey_Wolf

I'm very hesitant to upgrade to any service pack. As I stated it seams with every service pack or update something gets goofed up. it hansnt been just on this computer either, my older pc (AMD 500)seamed much more sensitive to updates while on the new one (AMD1800) has semed to tolerate things like IE6 and a security patch.Lots of people have cringe when I told them for me the updates dont work. But for some people they find the newest NVIDIA drivers seam to worsen their performance. For me and my two computers they seam to run best with out microsoft updates.I'm not even sure what SP3 will do for me.Having Fun(if its not broke dont fix it :) Grey_Wolf