Sign in to follow this  
lensman

View change causes CTD

Hi all,I have a new problem with FSX. Everything worked fine for the first three or four months. Then, for no obvious reason, on view changes via the menu bar I randomly have CTD. There is no time dependence - it may crash while setting up free flight, or after 3 or 4 hours of missions or free flight. I removed Documents and Settings/.../FSX folder, did a "repair install" on the program, but the CTDs continue. Again, they only happen, when changing views off the menu bar.Is there any known fix for this?Thanks very much!

Guest rprhendriks

Hi, I have exactly the same thing as you describe but here it also crashes when watching the instant replay, going back to the mail menu, in fact every screen resolution change causes a CTD. I also reinstalled directx, checked it with dxdiag, removed FSX completely including the subdirectories that remain after deinstallation en run a registry clean using ccleaner. I also tried to use FSX using another login profile, nothing seems to work. I also tried to set the display settings to the absolute minimum and turned off the high resolution virtual cockpit. Also, because in april everything still worked, I removed all the Windows updates since that time.It keeps crashing on the file ATIUMDAG.DLL which is a part of the driver for mij ATI Radeon X1950 PRO. That's why I tried to roll back the driver to version 7.2 in stead of 7.4. Also this doesn't work. That's why I send an email to ATI describing this problem.My config:Intel E6600Gigabyte motherboard 965-DS42 Gig RAM PC4200ATI Radeon X1950 Pro with Catalyst 7.4 driversWindows Vista Home premium 32 bit dutch OEM versionAll Windows updates installedRegards,Rob

Guest afcn

Same thing here. Looks like a problem with ATI drivers... have got the ATI1950XTX, running Vista 32bit Ultimate.Any news from ATI yet?

Ah, that triggers a memory. The problem started about the time Microsoft pushed out an automatic update that included the ATI drivers. That messed up a lot of things, and I rolled back the driver. It still didn't work, so I downloaded the latest driver set from ATI and installed that. The number of CTDs went down, but did not stop. Thanks for the insight that it's a change of resolution on crashes. I'm going to go back to my November through January monthly driver backups and see if one of those will help the system become stable. When I do I'll report the driver version here.danDell Dimension 8400, 1GB, 3GHz P4 "HT" (looks like 2 processors)700 GB disk, ATI Radeon X300/X550 series 3/2/2007, version 8.351.0.0, digitally signed: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Guest rprhendriks

No, nothing yet. I am going to try to roll-back my drivers to an even earlier version to see if it makes a difference, keep you posted!Rob

Guest rprhendriks

Good news (for now), I found out that the Catalyst 7.1 are stable. Every driver newer than version 7.1 gives problems. How to do this:Go to the control panel/add/remove software. Remove the ATI software using the Express uninstall function. After that go to the control panel/system/device manager and manually remove the display driver.Download the Catalyst 7.1 driver from ati.amd.com and install it. Now you should have a stable system again using FSX. Note that other application can have problems (Second Life won't start at all for instance). The real solutions of course has to come from ATI, which I already sent an email about this. Hopefully version 7.5 does not have these problems anymore.Regards and good luck,Rob

I just installed ATI7.5 driver package. Now I also can join the club on Crash To Desktop. My previous driver set was 6.9 with no issues. Will try 7.1 which I never installed first and then, if necessary, regress to 6.9 . I noticed that 7.5 does absolutely nothing for my lowly 9800SE card anyhow.Dick Boley near 5G8>Good news (for now), I found out that the Catalyst 7.1 are>stable. Every driver newer than version 7.1 gives problems.>How to do this:>>Go to the control panel/add/remove software. Remove the ATI>software using the Express uninstall function. After that go>to the control panel/system/device manager and manually remove>the display driver.>Download the Catalyst 7.1 driver from ati.amd.com and install>it. Now you should have a stable system again using FSX. Note>that other application can have problems (Second Life won't>start at all for instance). The real solutions of course has>to come from ATI, which I already sent an email about this.>Hopefully version 7.5 does not have these problems anymore.>>Regards and good luck,>>RobRegards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi all,Sorry for the long delay in getting back to all y'all. I've beenhospitalized a couple times, which really slowed me down. Somewhere around the end of August I received a "get-well-soon"present of a nVidia 7300 that wasthe maximum my Dell Dimension 8400 power supply could handle.Amazingly enough, the CTD on resolution change still happens, andcontinues to happen. However, the CTDs are very specific. Theyseem to happen only if simconnect is in use. CTDs do not appearto happen if FSIUPC is in use (e.g. FS2Crew). Another kind persongave me FSX Deluxe, which has multiple different simconnects, soI need to keep looking at that.With one exception, the CTDs have decreased greatly after themost recent nVidia forceware update. I don't have the numberhandy, I'm on a Mac at the moment.Thanks all,dan "lensman" davison>I just installed ATI7.5 driver package. Now I also can join>the club on Crash To Desktop. My previous driver set was 6.9>with no issues. Will try 7.1 which I never installed first and>then, if necessary, regress to 6.9 . I noticed that 7.5 does>absolutely nothing for my lowly 9800SE card anyhow.>>Dick Boley near 5G8>>>>>>>Good news (for now), I found out that the Catalyst 7.1 are>>stable. Every driver newer than version 7.1 gives problems.>>How to do this:>>>>Go to the control panel/add/remove software. Remove the ATI>>software using the Express uninstall function. After that go>>to the control panel/system/device manager and manually>remove>>the display driver.>>Download the Catalyst 7.1 driver from ati.amd.com and>install>>it. Now you should have a stable system again using FSX.>Note>>that other application can have problems (Second Life won't>>start at all for instance). The real solutions of course has>>to come from ATI, which I already sent an email about this.>>Hopefully version 7.5 does not have these problems anymore.>>>>Regards and good luck,>>>>Rob>>>Regards,>Dick Boley>>A PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

Guest supervc10

It's not just ATI cards. I've got an NVidia Quadro NVS 110M (it's a laptop) and I'm having the same CTDs. They happen every time I change into the VC, and most times when I change into the 2D panel. Changing among the exterior views is no problem, and I can change to view AI aircraft as well perfectly happily. Any ideas?

Guest simtim

Hi All,Unfortunately, I too am joining the CTD club when changing views. I run an Alienware M5790 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon X1900 video.I guess I won't be changing views...- Tim

Hi all,I still get CTDs if I have a "senior moment" and change views from the menu bar. However, I have found two ways to change views with aminimum of CTDs:1) Use the keyboard and only the keyboard. - I haven't figured out how to do Options|Simulation Rate| from the keyboard - "R" is listed but apparently doesn't cycle through the sim rates2) A new utility, freeware (thanks TweakFS!) appeared in the AVSIM library two or three days ago. It's called "Menu Mate for FSX" by the folks at TweakFS (specifically Fermin Fernandez). If I had the faintest idea how to get the link, I'd paste it in, but sign into the library, search "FSX Utilities" with the word "Menu" or "Menu Mate", and the utility will appear in the first few hits. It lets you go directly to the menu item you want without using the menu. Sorry, the documentation explains it much better. I've had about 50% less CTDs since I started using it. 3) Don't upgrade to the very latest and greatest driver (forceware or catalyst). For my card, a 7300, the last two driver updates have halved the frame rate and drastically increased the the CTDs. I apologize for not having the version number handy, but if you constantly update your video driver you may want to wait. The exception is if you have installed the Deceleration Pack from Microsoft - nVidia is constantly tweaking their drivers to make it work better with the pack. Given the discussions in other threads about the growing pains for video drivers + Acceleration Pack, it's your call...best of luck with it. I'm going to wait a few more months before installing it. lensman aka Dan DavisonDell Dimension 8400 P4 HT 3GHz, 2GB Ram, 1TB disk, nVidia 7300, Saitek AV8R; usually running Autosave for FSX and FS2Crew.