Sign in to follow this  
Guest gregul

msvcr80.dll crash after SP1

Guest gregul

The SP1 shows very good performance increase and I would be very satisfied if it also would be stable. My fsx crashes now quite often - always with the following message:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Microsoft Flight Simulator X has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvenience.What data does this error report contain? ( <-- click )Error signature:AppName: fsx.exe AppVer: 10.0.61355.0 AppStamp:4643ee0aModName: msvcr80.dll ModVer: 8.0.50727.762 ModStamp:45712238fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001755e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This did not happen at all before SP1!And yes, I did a clean install of FSX before SP1. No additional extensions...I also installed the latest video drivers, but with no change...I tried it also with all other applications like firewall and virus scanner disabled - no change...The sim starts just fine. I can force the CTD usually within a minute: switch views (s-key), look around, change different display settings. The crash occurs usually but not always just after saving the flight or when I move my mouse inside the windows taskbar (!?)I keep sending the error reports to Microsoft... I just wonder if anyone else has the problem or even a possible workaround.My setup:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, GeForce 7800 GTX, 2GB RAM, Windows XP pro SP2Greg

Guest gregul

After a few hours of try and crash I found a workaround for my problem! In the end it looks like a race condition during loading, where some settings are not initialized properly. Here's what I do now:- After the flight sim loads initially do not select or load a flight yet!- First navigate to 'settings' and press the 'customize' button- In the 'Scenery' tab set the 'Level of detail radius' to 'Small' and 'Mesh complexity' to '0'; Both sliders to the left edge. Confirm with 'OK'- Now load or select a flight and let the flight sim load it- When it's ready go to menu 'flight|save' and save the flight (any name you like..) (do not omit this step!)- Now go to menu 'Options|Settings|Display' and move the two previously changed sliders to a position you like. Press 'OK'- That's it! After another loading phase it should work as advertised! No more crashes!This workaround may or may not work for you... Please try it out and write some feedback here.Happy flyingGreg, Switzerland

Ive had the same problem and its an absolute nightmareive spent almost all day trying to solve the problem.I first installed the patch by removing all my addons but not re install FSX so i thought that may be why so completely un installed FSX then re installed ran it once as per instructions i read in another post then installed the patch and started getting the same error every time i loaded a flight.I just tried the method described above and it seems to work for me.you can also delete the FSX config file and then restart fsand it loads ok but you loose all your preset settings . its a pain to set them all each time you start FSX. I think the above idea is easier although not ideal. lets hope some one comes up with a fix.Performance is much better with the patch installed especially the auto gen when you eventually get it up and running.shame about this issue as i had no problems before the patch except the normal performance issues.RegardsRichard

Guest Jim Knows

What I would do if I was faced with this problem, I'd just reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. Usually, more times than not, the fixer of all problems. Good luck.

Guest Jim Knows

Ooops, I see you found a solution. Missed that post.

I think that reformatting the hard drive is a bit drastic.The problem only occurs with FSX when the patch is installed and i dont get any problems with XP or any other programs,or FSX pre patch.Hopefully plenty other people are getting this problem and microsoft becomes aware of it and finds a fix. otherwise its use the rather long winded methods stated above. At least you can fly though!.Regards Richard

Guest 186groundhog

At last!I thought I was going insane trying to track down this problem since Friday.I will try your fix.Thanks GregGH

>Happy flying>Greg, Switzerland>Greg, many thanks! I was hit by a very specific problem, being unable to load a saved flight with my retrofit of one commercial jet. It always gave me a terrible noise during the loading of the flight situation and always ended up with CTD. Thus I always had to go indirectly, loading a default plane first, then my retrofited jet and only then the situation in pre-SP1 and post-SP1 versions. Now following your find, I can do it almost in one pass - LOD and MESTH to 0 in the UI, choose my ready FLT and load it, then LOD and MESH back to my preference. That's it. Thank you very much for sharing this, frankly I was lazy even to read your thread first. :). Your SAVE step is not really needed if you have a saved flight already. Just make sure to smother those 2 settings, that take on all the bandwidht during the loading. You're definitely on to something important.Dirk.

It does seem to be a common problem with the patch.im surprised it hasnt been reported before .There are so many posts about problems with the patch but havent seen this one posted anywhere else.As i said before hopefully microsoft will pick up on it and fix it.It must be a bug.Richard

Ive done further testing with this issue and find its very touch and go as to whether it works first time .isome times have to do it 2 or 3 times before success.It seems to me if you try to load a saved flight with multiple windows open with different views it crashes.It seems to work first time if you use the create a flight screen,load the flight you just created and then turn the sliders back up. the SP1 patch certainly has stability problems with loading saved flights.Any further findings please post.Many thanks Richard

Guest fireflyfx

I've been having multiple crashes since installing SP1 (over clean install of FSX). Previously never had a crash. These are two of the error messages:AppName: fsx.exe AppVer: 10.0.61355.0 ModName: ntdll.dllModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00001010AppName: fsx.exe AppVer: 10.0.61355.0 ModName: terrain.dllModVer: 10.0.61355.0 Offset: 000b25e8 Anyone know what's going wrong here?

Guest bmac61

Hi AllI just tried greg's method and although it was more stableI still CTD'ed.No issues before SP1But after random CTD's especially when changing view, but sometimesfor no reason just locks up.But this has fixed it. I turned off High res 3d Cockpitin the Aircraft area of settings. This is not ideal as High res is preferable, but I can fly nowfor 2 hours with no CTD.Obviously some issues for some intoduced by this patch, hopefullythey fix it with a second patch. (Hopefully not 6 months?)But must say their work is appreciated as it does run smoother.My comp is a 24inch IMac running windows XPwhich in reality is a Intel 2.16 core duo 2 with 7300 Nvidia, 2 gig of ram, and realtek audio. Tks bmac

>Hi All>>I just tried greg's method and although it was more stable>I still CTD'ed.>>No issues before SP1>>But after random CTD's especially when changing view, but>sometimes>for no reason just locks up.>>But this has fixed it. I turned off High res 3d Cockpit>in the Aircraft area of settings. >>This is not ideal as High res is preferable, but I can fly>now>for 2 hours with no CTD.> I kept getting CTD's with all my payware AC (FSD & RealAir) whenever I would cycle views and return to the VC or click the screen to check AI aircraft and return to the VC cockpit. After trying just about everything I decided to run the sim in windows mode and my CTD problem was solved.....I don't like the FSX banner at the top of the screen but I guess I'll get use to it. Note: I never had a CTD with the default aircraft.

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Guest gregul

I must admit, I was a bit too optimistic pretending to have 'No more crashes' with my workaround. After a few more days of fsx experience, I still do have the msvcr80.dll crashes - but less often. I found that the more left my sliders are the less crashes occur, even if my hardware setup is good enough for more details.My configuration is now 'Medium Low' in the drop-down setting from the 'Scenery' 'Global settings' control with two adjustments:- Autogen density: None, which also eliminates most of my stutters- Scenery complexity: Very dense, which gives me some extra buildings on airports and urban areasI do not use the 'workaround' any more, but start with just these settings. The crashes are still there, but a lot less often...Then I registered the full version of FSUIPC. There is a feature, which allows you to autosave your flight periodically. The standard setting of 'every minute, keep last 10 saves' is just fine for me, so I can recover from a crash quite quickly. This is especially important while flying online. Still annoying but better than nothing...The msvcr80.dll crash seem to plague only very few users; most are complainig about stutters, blurries or memory problems... I still wonder, why some of us have the crashes and most other not. I tried to eliminate any specific piece of software (like some programs residing in the tray) or hardware (like the second monitor I have) to pinpoint the problem but with no result so far.What I'm sure about is that before SP1 there were no crashes and after SP1 there are plenty... I'm not very optimistic about Microsoft to fix this problem soon as too few of us are affected. On the other hand, who knows... I keep sending the error report with every crash!Happy flyingGreg, Switzerland

>The SP1 shows very good performance increase and I would be>very satisfied if it also would be stable. My fsx crashes now>quite often - always with the following message:>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->Microsoft Flight Simulator X has encountered a problem and>needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvenience.>>What data does this error report contain? ( <-- click )>>Error signature:>>AppName: fsx.exe AppVer: 10.0.61355.0 >AppStamp:4643ee0a>ModName: msvcr80.dll ModVer: 8.0.50727.762 >ModStamp:45712238>fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001755e>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>This did not happen at all before SP1!>>And yes, I did a clean install of FSX before SP1. No>additional extensions...>I also installed the latest video drivers, but with no>change...>I tried it also with all other applications like firewall and>virus scanner disabled - no change...>>The sim starts just fine. I can force the CTD usually within a>minute: switch views (s-key), look around, change different>display settings. The crash occurs usually but not always just>after saving the flight or when I move my mouse inside the>windows taskbar (!?)>>I keep sending the error reports to Microsoft... I just wonder>if anyone else has the problem or even a possible workaround.>>>My setup:>AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, GeForce 7800 GTX, 2GB RAM, Windows XP>pro SP2>>Greg>>Hi Everyone I think I may have found the problem. I was getting the same CTD as Greg with the msvcr80.dll etc. I remembered when the SP1 came out the article said something about getting the Microsoft C++2005 (X86), as the Service Pack would need it. So, At M/S downloads I found the file named Visual C++2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)I d/loaded the file and replaced the C++ 2005 that came with FSX. The good news is that I have tested 5 flights using 2D V/C and all other views several times without a CTD. (SO FAR) I don't know if this will help anyone else but thought I would share with you my findings.Best Regards,JimMy setupP4 3.6HT BFG 7900GTX 512mb, Bose Sound, Windows XP SP2,Dell 30" FP Monitor