Sign in to follow this  
Guest gregul

msvcr80.dll crash after SP1

Guest Samalet

Hello everyone.This is my firs ever post on AVSIM (or any FS related web sites) even though I

Guest AltimateOne

this is not happening just to people with NVIDIA cards. I have an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro... but I fixed the msvcr80.dll CTD by following the procedure in my earlier post.

Guest Samalet

I followed the steps in you post

I can confirm that I am also a fellow 'sufferer', using 2 x 7800GTX's (non-SLi) for dual monitor setup.For me, the problem predominantly seems to be using any non-default aircraft with AA switched on in FSX and/or the NVidia control panel and then either starting a flight with the aircraft or switching views/task switching.I will also continue to spam Microsoft with error reports everytime I CTD, but will also be raising the issue with NVidia which I don't believe anyone here has done or commented on yet.Vox

Guest Nismo35

Unfortunately, you can count me in as well for the freezing screen and fatal error message. Happens when I change views. I'm a brand new flight simmer, just installed last week with SP1, and didn't have any problems before I started moving sliders to the right. I'm going to play with those sliders and see what happens. Here's my specs:E66002GB RAM7900 GSFrame rates are ok...if I could just stop this screen freeze about 80% of the time I change views. I'm getting addicted and frustrated at the same time...not a good combo!!Todd

Guest Nismo35

I just ran a short flight from Torrey Pines to KSAN. I didn't get a fatal error but did get a freeze for about 5-7 seconds, then resumed flying...I'll explain....her are my settings and what I did. My scenery settings were:Scenery and Autogen - Very DenseSpecial effects - HighMesh Rez - 5mMesh Complex - 75Texture Rez - 60cmWater - Low 2.xWith these settings I was freezing up most of the time when changing views. I adjusted mesh rez to 19m and mesh complex to 50. Switched views a bunch of times with no problems...it was nice :) When I turned on final with the 2D cockpit (F10), The screen did it's usual thing, it FROZE and when this happens, I continue to hear the engine noise. As I began cursing and getting PO'd, after 5-7 seconds as I said, FSX continued to work and I was able to land!!! It was strange because every symptom of the actual freeze was there, but instead of getting the fatal error and having to reboot, the sim came back. It was almost as if FSX was thinking about what to do, and it allowed me to continue this time. This never happened before. If the screen froze, it was game over for sure. I don't think this is the fix, by any means, but it seems have helped a little and I'll test some more. I find FSX AMAZING, and just want to enjoy flying around. Landing at KSAN was a blast as I just learned and was using ATC and there was plenty of traffic on the 5 Freeway. Was very cool!Good luck to you all in getting this sorted out.Todd

The freezing you talk about when changing views is probablby down to insufficient RAM. I used to get the same with 1GB RAM so I upgraded to 2GB and the freezes when changing views went stopped I was also getting these freezes when flying in dense areas.How much RAM do you Have?ALso autogen is a major performance killer. Either run it at sparse or not at all.Youll see the performance improve. I dont use autogen at all on my medium system.FSX needs a minimum of 2GB even though it says 1GB minimum on the box.

Guest Nismo35

Hey Richard,I do in fact have 2gb of RAM. Again my specs are:E66002GB RAM7900 GSI have no problem with performance. The adjustments I made have worked for three flghts now, so we'll see. Hey, if anyone wouldn't mind answering a STUPID question...Where's fsx.cfg? I can't find it anywhere. Not in my documents or the FSX directory. Even tried 'Search' and couldn't come up with it. Thanks, Todd

For Windows XP its under program files/documents and settings/administrator[or what ever you have set as administrator]/application data/microsoft games/flightsimulator X.Make sure you have your windows settings to show hidden files as its hidden by default.Not sure where it is if you have Vista.Probably the same.Hope that helpsRegards

Guest smsmasters

>I just ran a short flight from Torrey Pines to KSAN. I didn't>get a fatal error but did get a freeze for about 5-7 seconds,>then resumed flying...I'll explain....her are my settings and>what I did. My scenery settings were:>>Scenery and Autogen - Very Dense>Special effects - High>Mesh Rez - 5m>Mesh Complex - 75>Texture Rez - 60cm>Water - Low 2.x>>With these settings I was freezing up most of the time when>changing views. I adjusted mesh rez to 19m and mesh complex to>50. Switched views a bunch of times with no problems...it was>nice :) When I turned on final with the 2D cockpit (F10), The>screen did it's usual thing, it FROZE and when this happens, I>continue to hear the engine noise. As I began cursing and>getting PO'd, after 5-7 seconds as I said, FSX continued to>work and I was able to land!!! It was strange because every>symptom of the actual freeze was there, but instead of getting>the fatal error and having to reboot, the sim came back. It>was almost as if FSX was thinking about what to do, and it>allowed me to continue this time. This never happened before.>If the screen froze, it was game over for sure. >>I don't think this is the fix, by any means, but it seems have>helped a little and I'll test some more. I find FSX AMAZING,>and just want to enjoy flying around. Landing at KSAN was a>blast as I just learned and was using ATC and there was plenty>of traffic on the 5 Freeway. Was very cool!>>Good luck to you all in getting this sorted out.>>Todd That's how I fixed my crashes too. I noticed when I have the global texture resolution to the max it crashes, when I put it to medium, it behaves well.This is a data synchronization issue at high settings. :)Btw, I have 3 GB of RAM so the amount of RAM does not help crashes at all.My specs:E6600 2.4ghz @ 3.6ghz3072MB RAM300GB + 500GB SATA II HDs7800GT nvidia

Hi allI'm Lucio (Italy)My config is:XP pro3 giga RamE6600 3gigaGeforce 8800gtx...I did all as AltimateOne says in his post...I uninstall FSX. Reinstalled it..and FSX it was ok...But..when I installed Super80 Flight1...and Ivap (for FSX) to fly on line...suddenly the ctd is back...then I uninstalled Ivap and Super80 of Flight1 and for now FSX it's ok again...I leave installed Level-D 767 only for FSX ...and for now it's all ok...what can you say about this?bye;-)

Guest granddanois

hilooks like it is only when using nvidia cards fsx ctd's. I have a nvidia 7600 GT, and it ctd every time i did run fsx. Then I borrowed a ati 9600 card from a friend. No more ctd. But framerate is not as good as nvidia 7600 GT. Hopefully the issue will be fixed as soon as possible.happy flights

Guest granddanois

Hi againI have been reading alot about this problem. Today I found a forum where they were talking about changes in the display.cfg. I checked in the display.cfg to see if my nvidia 76ooGT was on the list, it was not. Then I discovred that under nvidia is a line that says:NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XP;----------------------------------------------------------------------nv4_disp.dllDisable=1[nv4_disp.dll.1]MinDriverRev=5.13.01.1241Disable=2I changed it so that it ended up looking like this:NVIDIA Drivers on Win2K/XP;----------------------------------------------------------------------nv4_disp.dllDisable=0[nv4_disp.dll.1]MinDriverRev=5.13.01.1241Disable=0I have been testing it for several hours now, trying everything that usually made fsx freeze or ctd. It did not freeze or ctd anymore. Before the change it did it often.I am not a programmer, but it looks like maybe it could solution to some of the problems. It worked for me. Check if your card is on the list if not change the display.cfg like I did. Please give me some feedback so others can see if it works.Happy Flying

I tried the change to the display.cfg file--it definitely helped--thanks for the suggestion--tho a long way from completely earasing the lock up. My work around previously has sadly been to a keep air traffic low (15%) and no antialiasing. I can attain my targeted 20 fps except at the very complex major airports. I never look to the side/switch views, especially during an IFR flight. I Switch to the outside veiw to look sideways, and that has been pretty reliable.With this change I can bring airline and civil traffic to 70 and 50, and I can look around pretty well!!. Still CTD at the major airports, but with traffic decreased, I can fly in to them and switch views, which I could not do prior to your suggestion. Sort of crummy seeing only a few aircraft at the gates. I wish there was a way to just put them in as non- AI scenery.My rig is pushing two years old. I'll probably uprgrade the vid card if the 8800 prices really drop as people ar talking. (My 3800X@ was 300 at the egg in Feb 2006--50 dollars now).AMD 3800 x2 MaanchesterGigabyte K8N sli pro board2 gb Corsair 400 DDRGigabyte 6600GT 128 Vid card (I know....)Computer Associates EZ trust antivirus/firewall/antispamI've wondered if there might be a commmon antivirus thread to this crash--haven't ssen much mention of who uses which antivirus software.GaryPittsford (Rochester) NY

I've tried the display.cfg edit and so far things are looking good! Generally an fps increase, smoother play and best of all no apparent crashes as yet. I'll monitor the situation of course.Great suggestion, seems like a winner - thanks!Vox