Sign in to follow this  
Guest gregul

msvcr80.dll crash after SP1

Guest Knikolaes

Excellent theory -- I am going to make these adjustments and try this myself.

Guest jhkaye

Finally a solution to the CTD problem that works! Nothing has been as frustrating over the last several weeks as having FSX randomly and unpredictably freeze. Been trying everything I have come across on this and other forums. What worked for me was to uninstall my Nvidia driver, 6.14.11.6371, then download and install the latest driver from the Nvidia site, 6.14.11.6375. Took awhile to get my second monitor (Samsung) to work again when I dragged radios etc over, and get the resolutions properly set for the ViewSonic and Samsung dual monitors.My setup is Dell XPS, 2GB RAM, GeForce 6800 Series GPU.:-) :-) :-)

Guest jhkaye

I may have been overly optimistic about the new driver resolving my problems re CTD MSCVR80.DLL. FSX froze 3 times last night in full screen mode, used ESC key to restart. :( Jim Kaye

Guest Captain Dad

It is a ridiculous afront to the American consumer that "we" have to figure out a "work-around" to this at all.This is Microsoft's job: To put out a product that works easily and everytime for the consumer. That is us Gentlemen.Sort of like buying a car and then not being able to drive it normally, or in the rain, or at night if it is too cold. Imagine that! Would you purchase such a vehicle?Would you go to a Hospital to have Emergency Surgery; but not on Wednesdays'? Hardly!I am quite frankly surprised that MS's Flight Sim Dept. hasn't fallen under scrutiny from the Federal Consumer Protection Dept.Gentlemen: I am keeping my money in my pocket for quite a while.Thank you!:-hang

Guest Knikolaes

>It is a ridiculous afront to the American consumer that "we">have to figure out a "work-around" to this at all.>>This is Microsoft's job: To put out a product that works>easily and everytime for the consumer. That is us Gentlemen.>>Sort of like buying a car and then not being able to drive it>normally, or in the rain, or at night if it is too cold.>Imagine that! Would you purchase such a vehicle?>>Would you go to a Hospital to have Emergency Surgery; but not>on Wednesdays'? Hardly!>>I am quite frankly surprised that MS's Flight Sim Dept. hasn't>fallen under scrutiny from the Federal Consumer Protection>Dept.>>Gentlemen: I am keeping my money in my pocket for quite a>while.>>Thank you!>Unfortunately the issue with that is Microsoft can afford Lawyers. That and they test the software out on super-systems that only Microsoft - or the U.S. Govt. - could afford, and thus their expectations are that everyone must get such a computer for the sim to run fully.

Don't feel bad. I'm experiencing the same problem with FSX. I'm using a 7600GTX card. I just don't bother with FSX anymore.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Guest b737FO

Hello guys,I just installed FSX and SP1 a couple of days ago.Then PMDG 744x.Specs :Windows XP Home edition version 2002Service Pack 2Intel Pentium ® 4CPU 3.00GHz1.00 GBNVIDIA GeForce 7300GTdriver version 9.1.3.1I get CTD sometimes even when loading FSX, just after the music begins...No error messages, everything gone, just like that !Shocking to me that this thread has been going on from May and there's still no 100% answer to why this has been happening.Very dissapointing. Who's to blame ? MS ? Nvidia ?I paid good money and INSIST somebody gets to the bottom of this!(not angry at you guys :-) LOL)However, I REFUSE 'just not bothering with FSX anymore' like Bill here.Keep the Faith !

Guest Knikolaes

The big issue is that MS has already given their official standing on this -- "get better hardware", and that's what they are going to stick to no matter what.Also -- it does not appear to be localized just to Nvidia users as I have seen posts around the net by ATI users encountering similar issues.Guess we'll all just have to get better hardware.

I've had it. I am reinstalling FS9, I just can't enjoy flying anymore: FSX crashes when cycling views and when accessing menus! I waited for SP2 so the MS guys could solve the problems (yeah yeah I know they say it's a Nvidia problem), but it only introduced more crashes...My advice, just re-install FS9 with some good addons and enjoy the bumpless (+25fps) and crashfree flying!

Guest gregul

It looks like after 7 months after my original post here nvidia fixed the CTD problem with a new driver! Thank you nvidia!After installing it, I tried to get a CTD for 2 hours but didn't succeed.. ;-) I enabled 2x AA and loaded some saved flights with complex aircraft, such as LVLD-767 and rich scenery like Seattle. Then I moved all scenery sliders to the right. This setup usually crashed the sim within 1 or 2 minutes, but not this time! The frame rate was low but the sim stable.Further tests are necessary, but it looks really promising. Go give it a try!Greg

Agree--it looks like the new driver from Nvida (169.21) has fixed this dramatically. My experience was as yours, Greg. The changes to the cfg file suggested on page 8 of this thread helped some, but I found that if I had traffic/etc. up, I still had crashes.I downloaded the new driver 48 hours ago. I can push scenery or traffic to the point of slowing down frame rates a good bit, but no crashes. I can happily look left and right, even at KPHL or KSEA with scenery and traffic pretty well up (very high, 55-76%) Nice to go into the airports and see a few planes at the gates!Time will tell--we've all seen some "corrections" that haven't panned out the since SP1 came out--but this is really encouraging! Maybe we'll finally see a fix before FS11. Thanks to all of you who hold the hands of us novices.GaryPittsford NYWin xp home sp 2FSX sp1/sp2 no add onsAMD 3800 X2 WinchesterGigabyte GA- K8N-Pro Sli MB2GB Corsair RAm6600 GT PCI-express video (128 mb)CA Security Center

Guest Knikolaes

This came up in a PMDG forum and I applied a fix there from Microsoft that apparently is a hotfix for memory.IF the driver does not fix your issue and you still have CTDs, try the following. For the rest of us, though - THANK you Nvidea :-)If you still have CTDs:Apply this fix:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...other-ship.aspxAND do this as well:http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034Since I have done this I have had no CTDs, no issues with avionics (namely the lockups I was getting with the Cessna G1000 post SP1), and perfoance has improved greatly so that I may now not only run FSX, but have all sliders where they SHOULD be -- Ultra High.I hope this helps at least a little bit. Thanks to the folks in the PMDG forums for posting this information on their Wiki site. It fixed my issues -- let's hope it fixes yours.

Guest bazil

Well... I updated my Nvidia driver, but I'm still getting problems.The performance difference is great, during the 2 minutes time I get before FSX crashes! It's so annoying! As some have said, it usually happens when I switch from one view, back to the cockpit view; my puter churns away for about 30 seconds and then I get the "This program has encountered a problem and needs to terminate".Is there any other work around people can suggest? The only addon to FSX (SP1) I have is the Airbus Series Volume 2 (1b). I don't really want to try SP2 as there seem to be a tone of threads here citing problems people have had!I'm running XP Pro (32bit), btw.

In the end, the only solutions that have improved, but not eliminated this issue are:a) Install SP2. However, this causes a different CTD error (d3d9.dll) and has resulted in me uninstalling the worthless crock of s**t.:( Convert all FS9/FSX 'compatible' textures to 32bit. This elimiates most cases of the 'mvcr80.dll' CTD which I only seem to get on non-pure FSX aircraft (i.e. other than the defaults and RealAir aircraft). Unfortunately some transparent textures stop working when converted to 32bit.So it's swings and roundabouts... neither is a complete solution. Ho hum.Vox

Guest mdavis

I'm using a rather old system with FSX and I've been reading a lot of posts on the msvcr80.dll crash which I have been having. There seem to be as many solutions as systems. Perhaps the following will give some clues.My system is an "old" P4 running in hyperthreaded mode, slightly O/C at 3.2GHz, 2 gigs of RAM and an "old" nVidia FX5900 Ultra (256 megs). I ran FSX out of the box and had terrible framerates. SP1 smoothed things out and made FSX flyable, but I began getting the msvcr80.dll crashes. Installed SP2 and no difference. Crashes ranged from takeoff to midway thru a flight maybe going for 2 hours before a crash. The crash always gave the same results. The audio continued to run, but the display froze and FSX refused to respond to any keystrokes (didn't try Esc). After about 5-6 seconds, FSX rebooted automatically and gave the "Send to Microsoft" window. Concurrently running programs (ActiveSkyX and FS Commander) continue to respond and run normally, with no problems and no graphics issues.I run FSX in windowed mode by first loading ActiveSkyX (and X-Graphics), then loading my FSBuild flight plan into ActiveSkyX to calculate enroute weather, then start FSX from within ActiveSkyX. Once FSX is loaded, I startup FS Commander 8.2, link it to FSX (using FSUIPC4 registered), load the FP into FSX flight planner and go fly. I've been flying the default 737-800 on an around the world flight, nothing else recently. I run Zone Alarm Pro and Norton AV which take up a bit of RAM but don't seem to bother anything as they don't suck CPU cycles during FSX running. Turning them off does nothing to help. Scenery includes FS Genesis terrain mesh and Ultimate Terrain textures and landclass.I tried the new nVidia drivers but began getting graphics polygon issues (as though I was running out of RAM) and I lost my fonts for the menu and ATC window, so I went back to my Nov 2006 drivers.My settings are as follows:Target framerate 201024x768x32Anisotropic on in FSXAA off in FSX but on 2X in nVidia consoleGlobal texture resolution Very High (max)Lens flare onLight bloom offAdvanced animations onHigh-res 3D virtual cockpit0% panel transparencyaircraft casts shadows on ground - onaircraft " " itself - offaircraft landing lights - onLevel of detail radius - large (max)mesh complexity 79Mesh resolution 19mTexture resolution 2mWater effects low 1xLand detail texture onScenery complexity - extremely dense (max)Autogen density - normalGround scenery shadows onSpecial effects - mediumCloud draw distance 110mi (max)Thermal visualization - offDetailed cloudsCloud coverage density highWeather change rate mediumAirline traffic 15%GA traffic 10%Airport vehicle density minimumRoad vehicles 10$Ships 14%Boats 15%Now I know this is pushing things a bit for this system, but here's what happened. Temperature check of the CPU was OK. I find the CPU0 runs maxed out at 100% and CPU1 shows variable activity around 15-20% as it loads scenery and such. WindowsXP OS. Never used more than about 1.2 gigs of RAM even with all my background junk loaded.When I encountered the CTDs, I told the window to send the info to Microsoft. Because I run Zone Alarm, it prevents that outbound traffic until I allow it. Following about 5 CTDs, during one reset, I allowed the info to be sent -- all five occurances. Immediately following that transmission, FSX rebooted. Since that time, I have not had a single CTD in over 8 hours of flying time (mostly longer IFR flights). But what I am getting now is periodic pauses to a black screen with the "Loading air, land and sea traffic" window popping up, followed by a resumed flight. I haven't had a CTD since then. Did Microsoft do something? None of my settings changed unless they did something in a .cfg file or .dll that I didn't see.Since that time I have also installed the C++ redistributable code from Microsoft that was mentioned elsewhere.One other clue that may be of value: FS Commander can show AI aircraft on its moving map. During one such pause to "Loading air, land and sea traffic" window on a flight from KBHM to KIAD, there suddenly appeared two dense clusters of AI aircraft. The AI traffic scattered in all directions from the cluster. When the next pause to load screen appeared, all but a few aircraft remained and the scattered AI aircraft had disappeared as fast as they appeared. This would suggest that there is now (or maybe previously?) a problem with AI traffic generation within FSX that may overwhelm the processor and cause a system lock. This may also explain CTDs at certain airports and not near others depending on the density of AI traffic.Solution? I don't have one yet. Maybe someone will find a clue. I haven't seen much mentioned about AI traffic in these threads. I still don't know how Microsoft "changed" my system or even if they did. I'll continue to dig through the settings in the .cfg files and look at buffer sizes and such. But for now, FSX runs smoothly with excellent detail with these settings, and if the price I must pay for that is an occasional pause to load more stuff, I can live with that for the detail. If anyone is interested in some screenshots with these settings, you can find them here:http://www.pbase.com/mldavis2/fsxpics