Sign in to follow this  
Guest gregul

msvcr80.dll crash after SP1

Guest Barty

I did all things recommended:1. Clean FSX install followed by SP12. Updated ActiveX3. Deleted *.cfg file letting FSX rebuild it.4. Latest nVidia drivers for my GeForce 6600GT5. No other programs running in background. System is not overclocked.6. Copied msvcr80.dll into the directory as suggested above.Problem still persists. Crash occurs when I am flying (say 5 mins into the flight) and I open the ATC window. I think the SP1 has brought significant performance improvement but introduced this bug in my system that makes flying impossible. I hope someone will figure out what the problem is. Much appreciated!

Guest Floyd312

Hi sayaret,I tried the msvcr80.dll from that link but, unfortunately, it did not resolve the crash problem.The only solution I have found is to disable anti-aliasing within FSX. The good news is that it appears that I can enable anti-aliasing in the Nvidia control panel without getting errors. I still need to have a couple of longer sessions before I will be absolutely convinced though.On the positive side, now that I have hopefully resolved the crashes, FSX with SP1 is absolutely incredible. It simply blows away any previous version (and I have been doing this for 27 years starting with A2-FS1 for the Apple II in 1980, lol).

Guest 186groundhog

BartyI have tried all these ideas too and sadly none of them fixed it for me either.I am now flying in windowed mode as it seems the only [almost] stable way to fly in SP1 unless a new fix is discovered.I have flown several flights of about 40 mins without CTD.GH

i have virtually the same problem assd reported in this thread. it is new since installation of sp1, and occurs primarily but not exclusively when the high res 3d cockpiut option is checked. my set up uses a bfg geforce 6800 gt oc, so the problem is not limited to the 7900 series.since the sim is functioning extremely well in spite of the ctd problem, i hope microsoft can sort something out.steve chavin

Guest Floyd312

It turns out that I don't know whether I can have anti-aliasing enabled in the Nvidia control panel or not since nothing I do seems to make those settings effect FSX at all. The reason I originally thought it made a difference was because I enabled Anisotropic Filtering and this actually looked good enough to fool me into thinking that I was getting some anti-aliasing.Anyway, the bottom line is that I get no errors as long as I disable anti-aliasing in FSX (and probably in the Nvidia control panel too but I don't know that for sure).I would still like a permanent solution because it would be nice to be able to have anti-aliasing enabled. In the meantime though, I am having a lot of fun flying now.

Hi All,I'm also plagued by this annoying crash. It occurs with default planes, the Marchetti and the BeaverX. Updating drivers did not help.I'm using the FSUIPC autosave and was wondering that the last flight was always saved at exactly the time when the crash occured. Also the thumbnail of the saved flight was often garbled up.For me it looks like FSX fails when creating the thumbnail from screens using AA (no problem when AA is off). Disabling the autosave solved the crash problem for me. I save manually now. I also had crashes when saving manually, but not that often (not like every two minutes with autosave).Would be great if the thumbnails could be disabled.Hope that helps some of you guys.Alex

Guest Floyd312

I wound up purchasing an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX card yesterday. (Not because of this problem. I have been in the market for a new card for a while now).Anyway, I just wanted to report that with the new card I can run any anti-aliasing settings I want with no problems. I have not had a single msvcr80.dll crash since installing the new card yesterday.I did not change any other settings so it would appear that the msvcr80.dll problem has something to do with the way FSX SP1 interacts with the Nvidia driver concerning anti-aliasing on some 6000 and 7000 series Nvidia cards. (I do not recall seeing this problem reported by anyone running an 8000 series Nvidia card).

Guest gregul

Don, this is a good observation you made.I'm running a GeForce 7800 GTX card (driver version 94.24) and can confirm that these crashes have to do with anti-alias. The 'solution' for me is to enable AA (no more that 2x) in the driver settings of the card and disable AA in the fsx graphics settings. Additionally I have to apply the settings in the nvidia driver dialogue after every reboot of my PC, otherwise fsx does not recognize it... strange... (I have the AA settings applied in 'global' and 'application' section as well).This is annoying but still a lot better than the crashes...Greg, Switzerland

Guest AltimateOne

Hi everyone, I read this thread as a guest as I was having the same issues with msvcr80.dll crashing FSX to the desktop every 5 minutes. I decided to write an email to Microsoft technical support about the issue. Here was the response:Hi Adam,Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Support. My name is Althea and I will be helping you with Flight Simulator X Deluxe.As I understand, after installation you receive an error message: "Microsoft Flight Simulator X has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Wow, thank you, Adam, and thank you, Althea! This is classic and should become sticky. Nothing very special or different from what I thought, but sounds right to the degree I may want to reinstall. :)Thanks for sharing this again.Dirk.

Guest smsmasters

I have tried to reinstall fsx + sp1 and following the instructions posted in this topic.This is definitely a problem with SP1 as I have had no crashes prior to installing it.Also, I notice I get stuttering video when replaying and CTD in the middle of flying.This is a PITA. Can't Microsoft get anything right?

Guest smsmasters

I'd like to add that if I disable antialiasing in fsx sp1 and then enable it manually in the nvidia driver settings, it seems ok, but not sure yet.Either way, Microsoft need to fix this ASAP!

Guest Knikolaes

>I'd like to add that if I disable antialiasing in fsx sp1 and>then enable it manually in the nvidia driver settings, it>seems ok, but not sure yet.>>Either way, Microsoft need to fix this ASAP!Going to try that myself if I reistall FSX again.