Sign in to follow this  
Guest Goldmother

Have we got a fix for the msvcr80.dll CTD yet?

Guest Goldmother

Hi guys,I've been reading all the posts about this problem and I've tried EVERYTHING! Still my FSX freezes and crash due to msvcr80.dll problem. Has Microsoft launched a patch or does anyone have a solution that actually work?Thank you,Tomas, Sweden

Guest Samalet

I finally was able to find solution that works perfectly for me!a) Uninstall FSX:( Fix registry entry for FS9c) Enjoy FS9 until official comment on the issue from MicrosoftI wish someone for Microsoft would comment on the problem.There are a lot of improvements in FSX, but this CTD preventing me to enjoy it.

I had hoped that the latest drivers from NVidia might help, but sadly no. If I use the default FSX aircraft I don't seem to get the problem and I never had the problem prior to SP1.The culprits seem to be AA and something to do with texture sizes as I get the problem every time I use add-on aircraft where texture sizes are around 4MB BMP's.Vox

Guest robpol

I too am seriously considering dropping FSX. I seem to be between a rock and a hard place. Don't use SP1 and I get very poor performance and I have to drop some very good addon aircraft. Use SP1 and although I get good performance, my system continually crashes when cycling views. These view crashes always occur on complex aircraft and nearly always when cycling back into the inside of the aircraft.I found that turning down the graphical detail levels help to a certain extent, but the problem is still there. I'm sure MS have some sort of race-condition bug.The most frustrating thing about this situation is how opaque Microsoft are about it. Who knows whether they even know about the problem or are actively looking to address it? If they want us customers to keep the faith, then they need to let us know that they acknowledge that there is a problem. Right now I'm tempted to go back to a crash free FS9 and sit this out. If this doesn't get fixed, the money for my next flight sim will be heading to X-Plane instead....RobP

Well I hadn't really considered a return to FS9 until last night.As the 'Wings of Power' Spitfire will without fail crash FSX right after loading it as a flight, I was determined to get to the bottom of this problem. I tried every tweak and fix I could think of - various versions of msvcr80.dll, saving texture files in different formats, FSX.cfg tweaks, AA on, AA off, various nHancer/nVidia control panels settings, etc. I even rolled back my video driver to the very earliest version that supported my 7800GTX's. After all that, all I could really confirm was that:a) I get CTD when anti-aliasing is on, either in FSX or in nHancer/nVidia control panel.:( I loaded the ** Spitfire with *no* textures and with AA *on* and everything was stable, so I'm assuming the problem is also directly related to textures (possibly size, possibly format, although I did various tests for this.)So, the bottom line is that with a small tweak by either Microsoft or nVidia all our problems could be solved, but until either of these companies actually get off their backsides and do something about it I'm afraid that it does look like it may be a return to FS9 for the foreseeable future.Vox

Can anyone easily try an ATI card?Can we confirm that AA is the only trigger?

PhilSee my string just below, I put my problem of a CTD down to heat but it coincided with me cutting back the AA on my ATI card from 4 to 2NigelVancouverps I have not had the msvcr80.dll error to see, the computer always shutdown then rebooted

Guest robpol

>Can anyone easily try an ATI card?>>Can we confirm that AA is the only trigger?On my system its not AA only, although AA can trigger this. It seems to be (guess here) directly related to rendering complexity. The higher the complexity the greater the likelyhood of a crash.One can reduce complexity by dropping various rendering options such as AA or by picking very simple aircraft, like some of the default GA ones. (The exception to this on my rig is Flight 1's Do-27, which seems bullet proof.... I know this one is using textures from FS9 so maybe its a texture thing?)When rendering complex environments I can reproducably crash the sim at will by cycling the views (not shift a, the main view switcher). What's more it always crashes as the sim is about to be cycled back into an internal view. I have learnt to not use the external views, but to me its a big price to pay.It has to be said that prior to SP1 FSX was rock solid if a little slow. I'm currently playing X-Plane and having a blast. Will probably have another look at FSX when my graphics card gets upgraded from my current nVidia GeForce 7 series card.As a developer my gut feeling is the bug is caused by some sort of threading race conditions. Unfortuneatley, if this is determined to be the problem I feel sorry for the coders that have got to try and locate it, especially as running the test subject under the IDE can alter the timings...Quite happy to provide more information if required. Hope this helps.--RobP

Guest dbulldog

I can tell you that turning AA off helps but does not cure. If I don't crash with the "msvcr80.dll" issue, the hour glass appears and will lock up my system on even the default aircraft which I use the most (737). NVIDIA's answer is it's not them (see my other post in the general FSX forum "NVIDIA Answer to CTD") and check with the game manufacturer. All MS updates have been added. If memory serves, I did see someone claim this on an ATI 1950 card in this forum. Thanks Phil for looking into this!Brian.Dell XPS 410 w/ 4Gig RAM, 7900 GS on XP Pro.

Guest hansr65

Hi Phil,I've got an Nvidia 6600 card, and it seems not to be related to using AA or not. I can make it crash every time though, by starting FSX, go to free flight, and select eg the Maule, select an airport and start the flight. Then, when the flight is loaded, wait a few seconds till the environment's graphics like trees are loaded and rendered, and hit the ~ button to open the atc window. It always crashes at that point. The taskmanager shows it's running dxdiag to prepare an automatic error report.However, when I start FSX, and load the default flight with the ultralight, I can use the atc window without a problem. Also after changing aircraft and airport from within that flight, the problem seems to be gone, but most of the time it reoccurs later in the flight, let's say after 0.5 to 1 hour...hope this helps, cheers, Hans

Guest hansr65

I've done some more tests since the AA thing started to confuse me. What I've found is:When AA is off in the nVidia Control Panel, the problem doesn't occur. When it's set to 'let the 3D app decide', it depends:-when AA is on in the FSX settings, the problem occurs.-when FSX is started with AA on, and you switch it off before a flight, the problem still occurs.-when FSX is started with AA off, it doesn't crash.cheers, Hans

Guest Sinnerman49

Let's try and stay relative to the topic. This is for those people experiencing the MSVCR80.DLL crash.I use a 7900 GS on XP Pro. Here is my experience. I haven't tried messing with AA yet however, as I like FSX to be super sharp.Most Default Planes....fine (haven't flown too much in the default heavies)..CLS DC-10, INSTANT MSVCR80.DLL crash when cycling views and returning the the VC.Same with many other complex cockpit AC. Only happens when returning to the VC.

Guest Sinnerman49

I was able to test the AA theory on my setup - and I've also found it to affect the crashes. I was in the Carenado Cherokee 180 - started FSX with NO AA enabled in the game. Was able to fly fine for 10-15 minutes, cycling views very fast and often (Did not crash).Closed down FSX after enabling AA in the game. restarted FSX and in the same aircraft/airport, tried cycling views one time, and the sim froze with the MSVCR80.DLL crash.Interesting.

Guest n7xlq1

Hey guys,I'm starting to get this error as well, and I have been in contact with MS tech support, and I still have this problem. I'm getting this problem when I switch to a new view with a add-on aircraft. So, if you have an add-on aircraft see if you get the error that way.My system is:XPAMD 1600EVGA 6600GT1GB of Ram.