Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

Computer Crash/ReStart in Full Screen mode

I have suddenly experienced computer crashes and resets with FSX. I have read the messages on the forums and what I have done so far is:1 Updated DirectX to June07 version2 Updated my Omega ATI drivers3 Tried cutting back the DirectX sound acceleration4 Used a default scenery.cfg file so that there were no addons5 Re-installed FSUIPC according to the Peter Dowson instructions for CTD

My problem appears to be solved. How? I am not totally sure. I changed the AA and anisotropic settings in my video card but I don't think that was it.My strong suspicion is heat, we had a very hot day in Vancouver when I was having the problems - 36C (coupled with the heat from my language of frustration)- and notwithstanding that my computer has many fans, it is in an enclosed place under the desk so would be sucking in warm air. I remember now in the past that people had crashing problems when overheating occured.Subsequent days have been a lot cooler - I made my presentation to the flightsim club yesterday and my computer behaved faultlessly and continues to do so.Nigel

Glad you solved it Nigel.Hope the presentation went well for you.Vox

Well, I'm back. I have been doing a lot of designe work the past fewq weeks (CYVR5v+) so have been working in Window mode. I just got back to flying and have had computer crashes and I have verified they are only in Window mode. This morning I flew for 90 minutes at 31,000 feet in Window mode no problem, I converted to full screen and the computer crashed in less than 10 minutes. And it is not a particularly hot day.Any theories or similar experience and solutions?NigelVancouver

Please note correction!Well, I'm back. I have been doing a lot of design work the past few weeks (CYVR5v+) so have been working in Window mode. I just got back to flying and have had computer crashes and I have verified they are only in **FULL SCREEN** mode. This morning I flew for 90 minutes at 31,000 feet in Window mode no problem, I converted to full screen and the computer crashed in less than 10 minutes. And it is not a particularly hot day.Any theories or similar experience and solutions?NigelVancouver

Guest CFGSB

Hi there Nigel.Name here is Glenn.I am a lighthouse keeper on the north coast of BC, and try to spend some of my time doing the flight sim thing. I love it, but it gets pretty frustrating sometimes, with no one to offer advise out here.I cant help you too much with the computer problem, but would love to establish some 'comms' with you one of these days. I have been looking for a flight sim club around the Vancouver area, as I live in town every other month. Once you get your meeting done, and find some time in your schedule, drop me a line. Thanks for your time, and best of luck with the 'puter probs'.Glenn BorgensTriple Island Lightstation

Guest CFGSB

Hi again. I promise i will try to ACTUALLY READ the posts next time.For some reason, I thought you had posted just the other day. I apologize for the mistake.RegardsGlenn BorgensTriple Island Lightstation