Sign in to follow this  
Guest _FALCON_

FSX Freeze with menus - But the game works fine

Guest _FALCON_

I have a problem with the menus in FSX. I am not using any add-ons; my system is a very strong gaming rig, so that

Guest _FALCON_

Here is the solution to the menu freeze problem. It is actually quite simple, but because it was unexpected, it took me a couple of hours to discover it. I noticed that since the game would freeze, as if paused, whenever any of the menu items were selected except for the view menu items, that it must have something to do with screen rendering. I could hit escape and the program would return to normal. I switched my view from full screen to Window mode and everything worked fine. Thank God.Perhaps it is the 8800 GTX card and the NVIDIA control panel that caused the problem. The control panel allows one to control video settings and force them on any game or program. Which of course I do! I force VSync off (it sucks), anti-aliasing on at 16X, Antistropic filtering at 16 X, triple buffering, and texture quality on high. These will override the FSX controls, but apparently they only allow access to most menu features in windowed mode. Since I have a 19 inch monitor, that doesn't bother me. On the other hand, this may not even have been the cause, I don't know.I can't believe this solution of switching to Windows mode was not mentioned somewhere. No doubt it was, but the search engine for this form truly stinks. I did multiple searches in four different AVSIM forums within the FSX forum area. I did not find it using the words: menu, freeze, lock up, or numerous other things I tried.Regardless, I will post the solution and hopefully be of assistance to someone else.My thanks for all those who offered assistance.FALCON

Guest Aviationrichard

24/4/08Gday there Falcon and Person who asked the question. Yes I have the same problem and your solution worked. I have a 19" monitor also, but full screen is alot better. Will try and find out whats causing it and post it here if I do. Never had this problem before. Gone from 512mb Ram to 4Gig and downloaded a new Driver for my NVidia 5900 Ultra Card direct from Micrsoft. This new Driver fixed the issue of frame rates dropping after about 30 minutes running time. They dropped down from 30fps to 1 or 3fps and went back up again to about 16fps and then would finally settle around 1 to 5fps.Im now happy to set 27fps. As you know, as humans we can't detect more than 25fps anyway.Thanks - Aviationrichard.

Guest Springo

Hi,Have this problem myself and spent some time to search and identify a solution.It seam like some issue when using the mouse on the menues. Try this instead and see if it also works for u: Press ALT to show the menu, then ONLY use your arrow keys to navigate and the ENTER key to choose submenu item.The navigation by key mentioned above only goes for the menu. Elsewhere u will use your mouse.After this I have never ever got the terrible CTD.Just to mention that I have the SP1 and SP2 installed and I'm running FSX in fullscreen view (non-windows mode).Regards,Springo