Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

Computer Crashes and the file ati2evxx.exe

Guest Bob Z

NigelI've had an encounter with the ati2evxx file also, although under different circumstances. I've had problems getting my PC to sleep and tracked at least one of the issues to that module.I have Vista with X1950 Crossfire, so I suppose the relevant service is different than XP. On Vista it is called 'ATI external event utility' that disables ati2evxx and I now have that service disabled, and that at least partially cured the sleep problem.I've read posts about the Hotkey Poller, etc being unusable which I don't even know or care what it does, really. The ati2evxx has been disabled for at least a month and I have not had any sort of problems that I could even remotely attribute to that. I haven't had any FSX problems at all.It seems to me that before I disabled it I would occasionally see two ati2evxx running and I'm guessing that it had to do with logging off and then logging on as my admin id or vice/versa. Or maybe it was because of switching user without logging off. Thus, 2 logons, 2 copies.In my experience, you should not see any negative effects.

Yesterday, I installed a new single 12V Rail SilverStone Olympia OP650, and no problems in installing. Fired the computer up and all appears well. I feel more comfortable now, in that it should be eliminating possible damage to my X1950XT because of low amperage supply. FSX is performing okay.But today I re-instated the ATI HotKey poller program, ie the two ati2evxx.exe files, which appeared to be the culprit before and were causing my computer to crash within 10 minutes of my flight in FSX, when in full screen mode. I flew for over an hour today without the computer crashing. I am now presuming that it was a combination of these two factors, each on their own insufficient to crash the computer in FSX, but when combined to caused a crash

Contrary to the last para in my previous message, it has been recommended that I leave ATI HotKey Poller activated if it's not causing any trouble, which I have now done.I am told at the Sapphire forum that ATI2EVXX.EXE is used by x1900 and above to change from 2D to 3D clocks. My card is on 2D clocks when in desktop mode, but when starting a game, ATI Hotkey Poller changes the clocks to 3D clocks. Apparently, if I disable this service I will may lose the ability to use the following ATI services: Hot Key Poller, VPU Recovery, Overdrive/Temp Monitor. NigelVancouver

Guest Bob Z

NigelTwo days ago I installed the 7.9 drivers and the problem I had seems to have been fixed, so I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not. The Ati2evxx is now running and all is OK. As for performance, the 7.9's seem to be about the same. No better; no worse.The 'Disable Catalyst AI' problem that was discussed here about a month ago seems to have been fixed also. I now have it unchecked and set to 'advanced'.For anyone interested, see #14 in this item at ATI which gives a short explanation of what it does.[http://ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/faq.html]Now on to the next video driver adventure, which will surely occur.