Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

Took a chance and saved big bucks

Charlie, Good post. I've had the AETI yoke now for about 3 years and although the initial cost is steep, I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it. I've had wires break off twice and had to re-solder. I've also broken the springs numerous times on the aileron springs and at least the first time, VMAX sent me replacements free of charge. I'm trying to find some compatible ones as far as tension in a local hardware store. After a while, the potentiometers tend to get worn out a bit and every couple weeks I need to open the case and spray electrical cleaner in them to keep them operating smoothly and eliminate elevator spikes. I also lubricate the push rod for the yoke at this time. So this is a sturdy yoke that does need more TLC after a couple years. I'll probably go to the USB model from VMAX when I upgrade next. You have a nice set-up, if your really want more realism, bypass the AETI throttle and go with one of the Precision Flight Controls consoles...it is superb (but again, not cheap...).regards,

"if they were more affordable"I would love to know how many people have spent $500 on video cards, monitors, memory etc. in the past 12 months but "can't afford" a good set of controls. I love this logic. Drop $2,500 computer rigs and then fly around with a $40 joystick. And these are the folks probably complaining about the flight models! That expensive computer will be long gone before you retire a PFC yoke or pedals.I have a Cirrus yoke, spent less than $400 for it and am more than happy with it. It is older than my current processor and the one before it, older than my current video card, older than half of my RAM, and older than my monitor. It still works great. Never had to open it, never had to futz with it. Fly much better with it than with my old Saitek X-36 stick. Wouldn't touch a CH yoke again if it was given to me. Colin

Guest seev_39

Funny guys (and gils) we are, simmers;Those who

Guest byoung

Craig,Well maybe an hour to an hour and a half.Now I am not including loading the OS and software that can take some time as well...The last upgrade I did to my computer took me about a half hour. Although as I recall it was just a motherboard upgrade. So your right it may take an extra hour or so to mount the drives / accessories and connect the cables. I low wire tie my cables because I don't want them to fall into the processor fan and burn it out.Barry

I dont see a problem with ordering PFC stuff, but I definitely would purchase a PFC desktop yoke as opposed to the AETI one since the PFC yokes are about $50 more and they do have a lifetime warranty on the major parts of the yoke. I owned a jetliner yoke for a small amount of time, and it was the most amazing piece of equipment Ive ever used for FS. If it werent for the fact that it was so big and had such a big range of movement forward and back, I wouldve kept it.Craig

Guest cw1011

Thanks for the reality check Seev. I think I got a bit carried away above you. Colin