Sign in to follow this  
Guest notspecified

SP2 d3d9.dll crashes

Guest notspecified

After previously installing SP2 I would get frequent crashes. It would only happen in full screen mode when changing time or scenery settings, in other words whenever doing something that would cause the FSX black screen with the progress bar displaying the "Loading...". After finishing loading FSX would freeze and then display the FSX "must close.." error screen with an option to send the report and see what the report contained. It didn't happen every time, but about one out of every fourth time. The error would always involve d3d9.dll, and could not be replicated in windowed mode, but would happen in full screen mode with any FSX settinds, I tried them all. So I decided to try a fresh install. Uninstalled all addons, uninstalled FSX, and removed all refences to FSX in my entire system including registry. Reinstalled FSX, activated and ran once. Installed SP1 and ran once. Installed SP2. No addons. Have the latest DirectX runtime which is also installed with SP2.After all of those hours work FSX is still crashing in the same way, same error. Next I tried updating nvidia drivers from 163.75 to latest 169.21. FSX still crashed with same arror. The only advantage I appear to get now is that FSX won't freeze when changing back and forth from full and windowed mode.Tried changing all kinds of settings in FSX and graphis card but no go. Did find through all of this that if I turn off anti-aliasing FSX with all settings maxed goes from about 50fps to over 100fps (not in Tokyo or NY of coarse). Doesn't look great to me without anti-aliasing though.So now I have uninstalled SP2 again, and no more crashes. I will have to miss not having the raindrops on the windshield. Why it took two SPs to get that FS9 feature back I have no idea. Now several hours of getting all the addons reinstalled. At least I know that it wasn't my addons causing the problem.System:Windows XP-SP2Intel E68504gb ddr2 memoryEVGA 8800GTS 640mbFSX 1280x1024 32bit

Well, I can sympathise with you here. Whereas I used to get the 'msvcr80.dll' CTD problem, it has now been replaced with the 'd3d9.dll' CTD problem. It amazes me that Microsoft can't even seem to get their own products working with their own operating system correctly.Oh well... I'm off to find a hobby that gives me my life back.Vox

Well what'ya know... uninstall 'Acceleration' and the problem goes away. Nice one Microsoft, another sure-fire winner there... not.Vox

I had the same problem with Acceleration pack and I had to return it. Today, I downloaded the FSX SP2 and yet again I am having the same issue. I think it is related to DirectX but MS didnt want to admit to it. I hope this will get more publicity as Acceleration Pack was not free whereas SP2 is...We shall see.Take care,Marek

Well yes, something should be done - even if it is just Microsoft working with Nvidia to produce a version of their drivers that are compatible. 'Acceleration' *IS* a paid product and Microsoft have a responsibility and obligation to their consumers to fix any incompatibilities that it has. But of late, all we've seen is an attitude akin to "We're moving onto FSXI, so live with it." Very poor show.Vox

Guest Pilot533

Very poor show indeed, and im sick and tired of it, problem after problem, this hobby is taking years off my life....

Same for me.ie : Changing weather, then crashing the plane : --> CTD with d3d9.dll :-(Removing the SP2 correct the problem.>After previously installing SP2 I would get frequent crashes.> It would only happen in full screen mode when changing time>or scenery settings, in other words whenever doing something>that would cause the FSX black screen with the progress bar>displaying the "Loading...". After finishing loading FSX>would freeze and then display the FSX "must close.." error>screen with an option to send the report and see what the>report contained. It didn't happen every time, but about one>out of every fourth time. The error would always involve>d3d9.dll, and could not be replicated in windowed mode, but>would happen in full screen mode with any FSX settinds, I>tried them all. >>So I decided to try a fresh install. Uninstalled all addons,>uninstalled FSX, and removed all refences to FSX in my entire>system including registry. Reinstalled FSX, activated and ran>once. Installed SP1 and ran once. Installed SP2. No addons.>Have the latest DirectX runtime which is also installed with>SP2.>>After all of those hours work FSX is still crashing in the>same way, same error. Next I tried updating nvidia drivers>from 163.75 to latest 169.21. FSX still crashed with same>arror. The only advantage I appear to get now is that FSX>won't freeze when changing back and forth from full and>windowed mode.>>Tried changing all kinds of settings in FSX and graphis card>but no go. Did find through all of this that if I turn off>anti-aliasing FSX with all settings maxed goes from about>50fps to over 100fps (not in Tokyo or NY of coarse). Doesn't>look great to me without anti-aliasing though.>>So now I have uninstalled SP2 again, and no more crashes. I>will have to miss not having the raindrops on the windshield.>Why it took two SPs to get that FS9 feature back I have no>idea. Now several hours of getting all the addons reinstalled.>At least I know that it wasn't my addons causing the problem.>>System:>Windows XP-SP2>Intel E6850>4gb ddr2 memory>EVGA 8800GTS 640mb>FSX 1280x1024 32bit

Uninstalling Acceleration got rid of my error/s as well. :)

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

I have this d3d9.dll crash also, when changing time of day inside FSX with SP2 (no Acceleration). Can't change time or season, if i do the sim crashes to desktop with that error.Did anyone find a cure yet?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I have the same problem with SP2 but in my case it occurs when I move postions on an airfield using the "go to airport" control. I can usually move once, and sometimes twice but on the third move I always get a d3d9.dll crash.Clean FSX SP2 installation, default aircraft and different graphics drivers {I have a C2D 6600 with 7950GT}Pity as FSX is so superior to FS9. Fortunately I have kept both installed on separate partitions.John Rooum

Installation of the lastest DirectX (March 2008) seems to have solved my problem. At least until now, got to make some more tests, though.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest blazingcessna

Nope it didn't. I installed a fresh FSX, SP1,then SP2. Got the March 08 DX 9.0c Runtimes, and was able to at least save my flight (never got off the ground) went to change the display settings and BANGFATAL ERRORAs soon as I go for the display, it crashes regardless of Windowed or Full screen...Guess I'll have to rollback the SP2...Why even put out an SP that crashes you stuff???Microshaft...Tru Dat!

I have now tried the BIOS and graphics cards tweaks, the DX9 update and other options suggested in the threads below this one. None have made any difference to the particular d3d9.dll crashes that I am experiencing.However, although I understand MS will provide no further updates to FSX, in case anyone from ACES should read this, the following might be of interest:1. As noted before the crash only occurs in full screen mode. There are no problems in window mode.2. The crash at its worst when using the flat screen natural resolution {1280x1024}. Using lower resolutions appears to delay a crash ie the crash will not occur until the aircraft had been moved 5 or 6 times.3. I have a separate lower power office system {AMD 3200, NVidia 6 series, 1 Gig RAM; as against my C2D 6600, 3 Gig RAM 7950GT FSX system}. With FSX installed on this office system, I cannot reproduce the crash although using the the same screen and resolution.4. Again as noted, setting AA off and filtering to Trilinear delays the crashes on my C2D system: but why, when the AMD system is ok!The noticeable difference with the lower spec system is that, as expected, a change made through the menu loads more slowly. With the higher spec system, FS9 loads quickly to 100% but if it is going to crash, it seems to hang at 100% for 5 - 8 secs with the curser still showing the hourglass before it eventually crashes.I would be interested on the comments of any FS experts on this last comparison which appears to me at least as a complete contradiction?John Rooum

Had another go at the dreaded d3d9 errors. Tried:- 7 drivers varying from 90 series to the latest. - uninstalled /reinstalled FSX- various XP tweaks noted on other forums.- all tweaks found here {do not use mouse etc}.- cleaning and resetting Nvidia card.Finally {just in case} I uninstalled Win XP SP2 and carried out a repair of my XP installation. I then re-installed Win SP2, re-installed the latest graphics drivers and tried again .............No change! The errors are totally random and can occur at the first time/location change after loading FSX or I might not see a crash until I have changed location 8 or 9 times. The only constant is that the error only occurs in Sp2 in full screen mode and when loading reaches 100% after a menu selection.I guess the only option is a hardware change. I have not seen any report of ATI cards suffering this error but before I take the plunge, has anyone with an ATI card seen this problem??John R