Sign in to follow this  
majapahit

FYI: undersizing PoolSize helps FSX crashes! 640MB Card

running FSX/SP2 on XPpro 4GBadd[bufferPools]PoolSize=3500000FYII have a ASUS 8800GTS640MB after plenty of testing of the FSX.ini I come to the conclusion that the Default PoolSize=4000000 affects the memory pool (rather LEAKages) and crashing of FSX, both CTD's and/or the message when Closing FSX "an error occurred" ('you want to restart' etc.)It seems Poolsize affects the memory cache of the graphics pool on the System side of XP. Application/System is devided 2Gb/2GB, unless U use the /3GB switch, that latter creating as many problems as it solves.Appearantly my NVidia 640MB card creates a leak in the memory area (other cards? I dont know). You can test the Max of the poolsize by 'listening' to the Re-Loading of FSX.When under the limit, FSX will reload from the cache, creating Little HD Activity (reloads from the cache)When Over the limit, with my asus Poolsize set to 12000000! (12M), FSX will start HD swapping, with a Lot of HD activity.One would then guess, somewhere in between the default 4M and the 12M an optimum should exist.WrongAfter 100+ test I found setting to Poolsize=3500000 the CloseFSX error ("an error occurred", a sign of Memory Garbage) disappeared, not to mention the CTD's of my AddOn Planes with heavy extra Panels, like the Flight One ATR 72-500 and the Digital Aviation PA31T2 Cheyenne I do set [Display]TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=70for the purpose of the DA PA31T2 Cheyenne, that seems to need it for its - many & Big - panelsI run FSX with FSuipc, FollowMe (a airport parking car) FSCopilot IvAphappy flyingN.B.I also found Other Programs will trigger FSX memory problems, i.c. when I run Battlefield 2, I Will get problems in FSX (like CTD after a 2.5 hour flight, 20FT before TouchDown, appearantly FSX is programmed to clean the cache at that time), so I now have the habit of restarting my computer before running FSX after BF2P5K 4GB-DaneElec Q6600 8800GTS640MB XPproSP2 FSX/SP2

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

Guest capt_caveman

This post looks like it may have the answer to a problem I've been working on for quite a while with Vista, FSX and a 8800GTS CTD very regularly. My one question is where does the fsx.ini file live? I've searched manually (with show system files enabled) and using the search function and can't locate it - even with a wild card search of .ini files I haven't located it

i don't know why i just saw this post for the first time. i'll try this fix out. i finally have a plane that requires sp2 and so i'm back to trying sp2 out again after months of stable sp1 flying :)capt_caveman,The FSX.cfg file can be found by default here:C:Documents and Settings(Your Windows User Name)Application DataMicrosoftFSX on Windows XPC:Users(Your Windows User Name)Application DataMicrosoftFSX on Windows Vista

Guest capt_caveman

Hi Thanks for the reply but I know where the FSX.cfg file is located (It doesn't have the default pool size in this file), it's the FSX.ini file that the original post refers to that I can not locate, any ideas?

wrong mentioningfsx.cfg was meant of courseseperate header(left square bracket)BufferPools(right square bracket)PoolSize=3500000 (google [bufferPools] and you'll find the discription)perhaps even 3000000, I am finding with the Cheyenne with 6 main panels and several Photoreal instrument panels, on Vatsim.Might be the Nvidia drivers are tooled for max 512MB, and the 640MB video writing corrupts the pool and/or overwrites memory in all the wrong placesNvidia badMT

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

Interesting thread.I have noticed that with the default SP2 PoolSize the FSX cessna will fly for many hours with no problems. With the Captain Sim C-130X or other complex planes, I notice FSX crashed after an hour or so. Adjusting the PoolSize to a smaller amount may be the ticket. I am eager to give this a try.

-Todd

FYII exchanged the 8800GTS640for a 8800GT512problems solvedMT

Guest fliegerrudel

Hi, I just reinstalled Windows XP home on a computer that used to run FS9 and FSX. I have reinstalled both flightsims and have problems with both, FSX CTD after indexing scenery everytime at all steps even up to acceleration. FS9 wont leave 800x600 resolution no matter what, even after changing the cfg. Doesn't list my card GTS 8800 by the way.Okay I got the card on an RMA, GTS 8800 (on the card it said 320 RAM) but in my computer properties it says 640 RAM. FSX crashes everytime at startup. Indexing then Doctor Watson error R.FS9 will not change resolution.(il2 and cfs3 work fine, except for lockups I think are RAM related.)This is the 2nd RMA, I think I'm going to keep this card, Am I out of luck.I did try adding that [bufferPool] line with PoolSize=3500000 but nothing changed. Help!!Error signature---EventType : BEX P1:fsx.exe P2: 10.0.61355.0 P3 :4643ee0aP4: multiplayer.dll P5 : 10.0.61355.0 P6: 4643f2a9 P7: 00047951 P8: c0000409 P9: 00000000The following files will be included in this error report:C:DOCUME~1WittmannLOCALS~1TempWERc655.dir00fsx.exe.mdmpC:DOCUME~1WittmannLOCALS~1TempWERc655.dir00fsx.exe.mdmp

Guest fliegerrudel

Well fixed the FS9 with the 175.19 drivers.But this FSX is becoming a burden...

Guest 747-400 luva

Where can I find the PoolSize. A step by step instruction would be nice.

Guest fliegerrudel

>Where can I find the PoolSize. A step by step instruction>would be nice.Not really sure. I think I added it as a line which probably wasn't right.