Sign in to follow this  
Guest alpha_penguin

FSX: Failed to read from file then CTD - help needed!

Guest alpha_penguin

Hi everyone! This is my first post on these forums so please bear with me!Ok, so I have had this issue for awhile now and I cannot seem to resolve it. Have browsed various forums, googled the issue but have found almost nothing so far - at least not enough to resolve the issue. Long post warning as I have included ALL possible information and system specs in the hope that someone might be able to help resolve this issue. Note: i have been building and upgrading several computers for the last 4 years now and consider myself an "advanced" user (not professional as IT is not my profession though). I have been using flight simulator since the 2000 edition. PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: after some random time into an FSX session (usually 15-20 mins, but can be more, can be less) a FSX message box appears, saying: "Failed to read from file"The only option is to click ok (message disappears, FSX still running). A short while after this (seconds) FSX becomes unresponsive, gradually (fails to load new scenery, sound goes weird etc) then either of the following eventually occurs: 1. CTD -seemingly- FSX "disappears" from taskbar - but fsx.exe is actually still listed among processes in task manager AND until this is manually shutdown, any attempt to run another fsx session gives message: "fsx already running" (or similar)or...2) FSX freezes (ie becomes completely unresponsive but can still be seen) and has to be forced shut down via task manager This "CTD" or "freeze" happens regardless of whether the OK button is clicked or not. It seems to take a bit longer to occur if button is not clicked, but FSX is not really usable during the time before it goes unresponsive anyway (due to scenery not loading, flawed sound etc). When the error message occurs, there is plenty of memory available - usually around 500MB (2GB total). I have around 3.5GB of free space on Vista partition and 50GB free on partition where FSX is installed (same disk - a 4x WD raptor 36GB RAID 0 array (total of 144GB)). Swap file is set to "auto" (OS handles swap file). Problem happens using default FSX aircraft or LDS767. System: OS: Vista Ultimate 32bit SP1 with all updates installed-I have installed diskeeper and have defragged all drives manually in addition to the excellent background defrag that this application provides -all hardware drivers are up to date -tried with newest ATI driver (8.3) and 8.2 - no difference -daily anti-virus&spyware checks using AVG internet security 7.5-regular registry maintenance using CleanMyPC - Registry Cleaner-programs running in background during FSX session: --AVG--ATI nofification area icon (display driver)--logitech nofification area icon (mouse/keyboard)--everest ultimate--vista sidebar with everest plugin on monitor #2(3DMark06 score: 20116)(PCMark Vantage score: 8122)FSX settings (most on low to try to eliminate this as bottleneck):Graphics (custom):-1920x1200x16-filtering: bilinear-global texture resolution: very low (lowest option)-anti-aliasing: none-lens flare: on-light bloom: off-advanced animations: onAircraft (medium high):-high resolution 3D VC: on-2D panel transparency: 0%-aircraft casts shadows on ground: on-aircraft casts shadows on itself: off-aircraft landing-lights illuminate ground: onScenery (custom): all sliders to the left (minimum)Weather (custom): -cloud draw distance: 80mi-thermal visualization: none-cloud detail: detailed clouds - high cloud coverage densityTraffic (custom): -airline traffic density: 30%-GA traffic: 0%-airport vehicle: low-road vehicles: 15%-ships and ferries: 14%-leisure boats: 14%FSX and addons:FSX with service pack 1, no Acceleration XActive Sky X and X Graphics with latest patchesJeppesen Sim Charts 4MegasceneryX: HawaiiAerosoft Hawaii Dillingham XLDS-767 with service pack 1 and FS2crew for this with update1FSUIPC latest version (registered)Ultimate Traffic for FSXNow my hardware specs:MB: Asus Maximus Extreme X38 BIOS 0904 CPU: Intel Q6600 rev. G0 @ FSB425*9=3825MHz (12 hr OCCT mix and 10-loop 3DMark06 stable)MEM: 2x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-14400 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20-1T HDD: 4x WD Raptor 36GB 10000RPM in RAID0 (system drive) | 1x Samsung SpinPoint T166 250GB 7200RPM (storage/backup drive)GPU: 1x Radeon HD 3870X2PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200WMONITOR #1: Samsung Syncmaster 245B at 1920x1200 (for FSX)MONITOR #2: Samsung Syncmaster 710T at 1280x1024 (for Sim Charts / Active Sky / Vista sidebar etc - but no undocked FSX views)Joystick: Sidewinder Force Feedback 2Pedals: CHKeyboard: Logitech diNovo Edge (bluetooth wireless)Mouse: Logitech G5 gaming mouse (wired)(Case: Zalman GT1000 | CPU cooling: EK-Supreme + Laing DDC Ultra + PA 120.3 | Chipset cooling: EK blocks + Zalman Reserator XT | GFX cooling: EK-FC3870 X2 + Laing DDC Ultra + PA120.2)I have also been running FSX on the following system with no errors whatsoever:Asus Striker II Formula 780i BIOS 0902 | Intel E6600 rev. B2 @ FSB400*9=3600MHz Vcore=1.40 V_NB=1.32 | 2x 1GB Corsair Dominator DDR2-8500 1066MHz @ 4-4-4-15 V_DIMM=2.20 | 1x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10000RPM | 3x XFX 8800GTX in 3-SLI OC to 650/1000 | Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W | Case: Thermaltake Armor | CPU cooling: Swiftech Apogee GTX + Swiftech MCP655 + PA120.2 | GPU cooling: Zalman ZM-GWB8800 GTX/Ultra + Zalman Reserator 1 Plus | Vista Home Premium 32bit SP1 | 3DMark06: 15223Final note: although my system is CPU overclocked 60%, it is *12 hr OCCT mix* stable meaning all 4 cores are running on 100% for 12 hours with no problems whatsoever. This test also stresses RAM (maximum error detection, tests the whole chain CPU-Chipset-Memory). Hence, it is VERY unlikely that CPU or RAM is causing the error. However, it MIGHT be caused by the display driver, although system passes 3DMark06 10-loop test with ease (runs each subtest in continuous 10x loops - each test stressing various part of 3D/GPU performance, including CPU involment in 3D rendering too). ANY help/input/suggestions welcome!

Guest alpha_penguin

Well, I might have found a solution!Browsing this forum, I tried out a few tips. First, I set the vista taskbar to auto-hide. Then I changed the fsx compatibility settings (by right-clicking the icon) to 1) disable visual themes2) disable desktop compositionThirdly, I switched off the vista sidebar and everest ultimate prior to running fsx. Still running vista in window mode that fills the whole screen (by choosing maximize on taskbar), with the secondary monitor displaying sim charts, active sky etc. Result: for the first time on this machine, I have been able to do a flight without a ctd for a significant amount of time - namely 2.6 hrs, island hopping with a baron 58 around the hawaiian islands (that megasceneryX hawaii is truly gorgeous). I visited a total of 5 different airports. I also had a much smoother overall experience, with less stuttering and much fewer drops in fps. With most of the scenery sliders set almost all the way to the right (maximum) including global texture resolution: very highlevel of detail radius: largescenery complexity: extremely denseautogen density: extremely densemesh complexity: 30mesh resolution: 5mtexture resolution: 60cmand finally traffic slider to 100% (!) with ultimate traffic x, I ended up with almost an almost consistent fps of 25!!!I finally get some results out of this expensive, custom-built mega-machine. Well, I will not celebrate too early, but it's a significant improvement as before I could only fly for max 30 mins and had much more stuttering. Now I will with a long-haul flight in the default 747 (honolulu intl - klax) then I will play around in the lds767 (will hold my breath a bit then). Cheers!

Guest alpha_penguin

Stable for 2.6+7.1=9,7hrs now, no issues! Was able to complete PHNL to KLAX just now, using the default 747. Got fps around 10-15 during final approach. 15-20 sitting on the tarmac watching other planes land - still 100% Ultimate Traffic lol... The APP freq was pretty congested. Next project is to take the lds767 for a spin. Let's see how that goes!

Guest alpha_penguin

Well, was able to complete a ~1hr flight in the lds767 too, no issues. Currently cruising at FL350 in the 767, en route from PHNL to KLAX, ~2hrs into the flight. Some stats for this last flight: CPU usage: 50-80%Used memory: 72% (1.44 of 2GB)Pagefile usage: 2.9 of 4.3 GBI did run into an OOM issue yesterday - was taxiing to the rwy when the msg appeared. Had lots on other apps running at the same time as fsx though, and tried to start another flight just after completing one, without restarting fsx or the computer. Seems 2GB total memory is not ideal for fsx at all (especially by judging from the page file)- it + vista is one big memory hog together. Would like to have 4GB but with the price of DDR3 i think i might wait. And please don't hassle me for the multiple posts. Even though no one else has posted, I take it no one has had any suggestions so far. It seems i have resolved the issue, and thus it may be helpful for others that run into the same issue in the future.

Guest alpha_penguin

Just to finish off this thread (even though not even sure anybody is reading lol). Everything went smooth as silk on my PHNL-KLAX trip in the lds767, EXCEPT during the approach stage. I was outbound from SMO VOR i.e. "downwind" for ILS rwy 24R when I realized things were not all great - first the FMC disappears, then reappears without me doing anything. This repeats itself a couple of times. Then I see fps is around 5-10 as I fly past KLAX... a few seconds later a msg appears: "FSX has run out of available memory" or similar lol. 'Hence I have gone from "failed to read from file" to an OOM type of error. IMO the latter is preferable as there is an obvious solution to it: get 4GB of mem and go Vista 64 haha! Too bad I have DDR3 which is not exactly cheap. I will most likely back off on the scenery settings a bit during long haul flights (or maybe not do any long haul flights at all lol) until I get some more mem. alpha_penguin out (for now)