Sign in to follow this  

MIP map removal

Anyone know of a tool that can remove the MIPs from bitmap files besides Imagetool, like in mass quantities? Imagetool is the only way I know of, and it's rather time consuming and it has a nasty habit of crashing at random for some reason.Anyone know of anything?

Guest PaulL01

>Anyone know of a tool that can remove the MIPs from bitmap >files besides Imagetool, like in mass quantities? Imagetool >is the only way I know of, and it's rather time consuming >and it has a nasty habit of crashing at random for some >reason. >>Anyone know of anything? Hi Alex,Image tool sucks, it uses a really lousy resampling routine that results in poor quality for the file size.Anyway, what you are looking for is one of Martin Wright's fine graphic tools; I believe "Convim" will perform a batch process for you to save DXT to another mip-less format and back or what ever you would like to do. Take a look around, as there are many other great programs and docs to read.http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm

Ah, thanks Paul, I'll take a look at that right now :)

This is a very old thread (2 years), but I will tell you what I know. In FS2002 (seems less of an issue in FS2004), some aircraft with mipped textures would appear blurry unless you would zoom in on them, then zoom back out. People started to use tools to remove mips from the textures to fix the issue. Not all textures had to be processed (some aircraft contain dozens of textures)--only those for the fuse, engines and other visible surfaces.Today's version of DXTBMP is more robust than the one two years ago. You simply open the bitmap, and uncheck the mip option, then save it. Only issue I find is with DXT 3 bitmaps. One headache I have right now is if I try to edit a DXT 3 bitmap, DXTBMP seems to produce artifacts such as off color sections. Each successive save makes the bmp worse. So you have to be careful removing mips from DXT3 textures.DXTDMP contains enough documentation for you to know how to do this should the need arise. You do not want to remove mips from ground textures. That can cause big issues, including CTD's.-John