Sign in to follow this  
Guest harryrupert

Vista 64 New Rig Multiple - CTDs

Guest jonny-jo

Hi guys,I have just taken delivery of my new system shown below which I was hoping was going to fly! with FSX. However it keeps crashing with just a fatal error message! I am running FSX with Accl/Pack, clean install on the Raptor and Vista on the Seagate. It loads up ok but will then crash in sometimes 5 mins- 15 mins, the longest it has run is most likely about 25 mins. I have run it with and without FSUIPC4 I have uninstalled it reinstalled it defragged and I'm pulling my hair out! Has anybody any suggestions please? I must be doing something crazy but can't think what! (My old P4 dell handled FSX better than this)Thanks,JohnIntel 2 Quad core QX9650 o/c to 4. 0 GhzASUS Maximus Extreme Intel X38 ExpressASUS Radeon HD 3870 X2 1 GB4 gb ram OCZ DDR3 PC10666 (1333Mhz)WD Raptor 150GBSeagate Barracuda 500gbEnermax Galaxy 1000WThermaltake ArmourThemaltake Cooling Bigwater 7452 x ASUS DVD/RWWindows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/SP1

Guest jonny-jo

I still haven't been able to found the problem so am going to reformat the O/S drive reinstall Vista Ultimate and carry out a clean install of FSX. I do hope that possibly the original Vista install was the problem.John

Guest jonny-jo

Well,I have just done a complete format end new install of FSX/Accl Packand within 5 minutes it CTD again! I restarted and as I was flying an error/solution came up on screen showing 2 problems 1) Intel chipset update which I have downloaded and installed and 2) ATI catalyst conflict recommending no solution other than downloading the newest version which I have now done. Regretfully its still crashing out! The only thing I can think of is that its the ATI 3870? ie the catalyst conflict that was suggested.John

Hi John,If you turn that overclock down to default, does it still CTD?Regards,Jim Karn

Make sure that HPET (High Performance Event Timer) is enabled in your BIOS. Vista uses it where-as XP did not. It really fixed the system freezes that I had in Media Center, Player and FSX.Hope this helps.Jim Allen

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest harleyman52

It would be nothing more than your OC is unstable..Even if it passes Prime 95 and or 3DMark that means nothing for FSX CTD's.....Those just mean it can crunch numbers......Its much more intense in FSX.....

Guest tex99999
I still haven't been able to found the problem so am going to reformat the O/S drive reinstall Vista Ultimate and carry out a clean install of FSX. I do hope that possibly the original Vista install was the problem.John
John,Forget Vista (especially Ultimate), I have a similar machine - WC 9650@3.8, 2xvelociraptors and 2xSG500/32, 2x 9800 GX2, 790i ultra, 1200w PS, fastest 4 gig of ram OC'd.DX 10 and Vista just kills it. I have reformatted with Experiences tiny XP (99MB) (check TPB). and it screams now. FSX will run great - inseveral years when computer technology catches up to it.Jon

JohnIs that is a "cross-fire" video card that you have installed? There have been issues with SLI/Crossfire with FSX and I have seen it posted that some of the latest ATI drivers have caused problems with FSX. I have been running Vista 64 now with FSX for 6 months and have only seen ONE issue and that was due to a new nvidia driver. Vista 64 is very stable and I find it runs FSX as well as any other OS out there. You may want to see if you can run yor video card as a "single" card with say one of the older "stable" drivers and see if that helps.RegardsPeterH

Guest ziporama
JohnIs that is a "cross-fire" video card that you have installed? There have been issues with SLI/Crossfire with FSX and I have seen it posted that some of the latest ATI drivers have caused problems with FSX. I have been running Vista 64 now with FSX for 6 months and have only seen ONE issue and that was due to a new nvidia driver. Vista 64 is very stable and I find it runs FSX as well as any other OS out there. You may want to see if you can run yor video card as a "single" card with say one of the older "stable" drivers and see if that helps.RegardsPeterH
I have a very similar rig to yours although it's a DDR2 Gigabyte X38 board. My 9650 is stable at 4GHz and I've had it up to 5.1GHz for testing (510x10), but not for use on a regular basis because of the very high voltage this required (1.6v). It took me several months to tweak to get it stable and setup for daily use. The X38 chipset has some latching issues between memory and the CPU which causes many issues when overclocking. Mine is running at 400x10 at 1.5V in the bios (actual is 1.4 something). Ensure you overclock in the BIOS, not in software as that causes many issues too. I have +0.1V on the MCH and +0.3V on my memory (that's because the default on my board is 1.8V, the memory timings I have are only certified at 2.1V).Lastly, ensure that you check a couple of critical items when you overclock:1) your cooling is adequate on your CPU and North Bridge (the x38 is a really roaster of a chip - and the hottest part of my system). Even though I have a sizeable factory heat passive heatsink on the MCB, I had to complement with a separate fan to be able to keep the x38 cool enough at 400MHZ (my board is a DDR2 so it's set to run at 333MHz). I also have water cooling on the CPU to keep it at max 60F under load.2) you must reliably pass Orthos or Prime95 running concurrently on all four cores for 30 minutes. I found that initially I had no problems running those tests on one or two cores, but using cores 3 and 4 wasn't a pretty sight. You will likely find that if it fails during the first 10 minutes, you have a cooling, power or latching problem.As is mentioned above, if this is new hardware, you should also allow it to run at normal speeds for a bit to see if it runs ok at the "normally aspirated" mode.Your ATI X2 board should be fine as you are using cross-fire on the video card itself. The X2 has the crossfire circuitry built-in on the PCB. Your computer's bus and chipset should not even see it as anything but a regular PCIEx card, and you should not need any special hardware support on the motherboard unless you have two cards in the system. Just verify that your overclock didn't push the PCIex bus too far and default it back to 100MHz. Mine's at 101MHz. Hope this helps,Etienne