Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747-400 luva

Bluescreen using FSX

Guest 747-400 luva

HiJust a general question. Does anyone alse have a problem with FSX, when they use it, the computer crashes and goes to a blue screen. Because Just bought a new computer with excellent performance, but the bluescreen just keeps on coming. I am trying to figure out if it is a software or hardware problem. Please helpThanks

Guest fsxmissionguy

Hi,In order to help you troubleshoot the problem, you'll need to post the information presented to you by the blue screen. It could be any number of a gigabyte of issues.What is the error message?

Guest 747-400 luva

>Hi,>>In order to help you troubleshoot the problem, you'll need to>post the information presented to you by the blue screen. It>could be any number of a gigabyte of issues.>>What is the error message?It is a physical dump of memory and it counts until it is at 100

Guest 747-400 luva

I'll check it out if it happens again. The computer reboots quite quickly so it makes it difficult to read the whole message. I'm sure it is a software issure. I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver and that seems to sort it for a while. I'm using 64 bit Windows Vista and I'm not sure if there are compatibility issues with that.

I had a similar problem with a brand new computer a couple months ago.I took a picture of the blue screen and sent it to the person that built the pc. Here is his reply."The blue screen and "NVGTS.SYS error" is caused by the motherboard SATA driver when an optical SATA drive (DVD Burner) is connected to the motherboard. It's a common issue with the 780i boards.A fix just came out, please click this link to download the latest Beta driver from EVGA website: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/nFor...nglish_whql.exeOnce the download is finished, install the new driver. It will promote you to remove the old driver and restart.Everything will be fixed by this new Beta driver."If you have this same mother board, this may fix the problem.Bruce

Guest grapesh

Does it happen only with FSX, or any other programs?Is there any problem accessing your HDD?You can watch the temps of your CPU/GPU/MoBo to see if it is not overheating.=S.V.=Q6600 (4x2.40 GHz)nVidia Quadro FX 3400WinXP Home-SP2, FSX-SP2

Guest fsxmissionguy

The blue screen contains the vital information required for troubleshooting your issue. (It is most likely a hardware issue ... in this case, most likely a problem with your video card.)Write this information down with a pencil and paper if you have to. It's vital and required to get you help.Here's a Microsoft KB article detailing how to gather the blue screen information so that you can present it to people who might be able to help you:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/w...d.mspx?mfr=trueCheers,

Guest 747-400 luva

>Does it happen only with FSX, or any other programs?It mostly does it on FSX, but it does it sometimes when just surfing the internet.Evan

Guest fsxmissionguy

Evan,You wrote: "but it does it sometimes when just surfing the internet."That's a great indication that there's something wrong with your computer that has nothing to do with FSX ... it just so happens that you are using FSX when the problem crops up.If I had to guess, I'd say that your video card (or some important component inside your system) is overheating. I say it's probably the video card, because FSX will task the video card somewhat, but it also tasks the CPU.If a fan is broken inside your computer, and the CPU is heating up, this could easily cause a blue screen STOP message.If you are uncomfortable opening up your computer to have a look inside, find a geek you trust and let him take a peek. Could be a broken fan, a loose component, something come unhinged ... could be something worse like a heat sink gone bad, CPU failing, etc.Have any important data on that computer? Is it backed up?

Guest grapesh

As fsxmissionguy just said - you might have an overheating issue.Get SpeedFan, CPUz or something else to check temperature readings on your GPU and CPU.Also, you got 8 Gb RAM (wow!), this is what, 4x2? Check if your memory is properly seated.Check all cables, loose connections can also cause BSOD. But I bet it is overheating. With large RAM, fast CPUs and GPU you gotta have a proper cooling. I myself need to go to the store and grab a good cooler for my Core 2 Quad. Maybe get an extra PCI fan for GPU. =S.V.=Q6600 (4x2.40 GHz)nVidia Quadro FX 3400WinXP Home-SP2, FSX-SP2

Guest 747-400 luva

I read somewhere that FSX works better on WinXp than Vista because vista does something different with the memory causing the bluescreens and CTD. Does anyone know if this is true.Thanks

Guest grapesh

XP is probably my last Microsoft OS, so I'll be sticking with it as long as possible. I think most people will skip Vista and wait for Windows 7. Based on numerous problems people report with Vista, it is just not worth a trouble, as XP works just fine. DirectX 10? - not in exchange for a constant troubleshooting!=S.V.=Intel Q6600@4x2.40GHz, Intel DP35DP MB, 2x1Gb DDR2, nVidia Quadro FX 3400, XigmaTec HDT-S963, Evercool Fox-1, ViewSonic 19', SATA 250Gb+160Gb, MS SideWinder 2 Force FeedbackDual-boot: (1) MS Windows XP Home SP2, (2) Fedora Core 9. MS Flight Simulator X SP2, FlightGear v1.0

I have been running FSX on Vista Ultimate for over 1yr now and I have to say Vista SP1 is very robust. I have zero Vista specific problems with FSX.90 percent of the issues I have had in general with Vista have been my learning curve on the differences in which Vista works in relation to XP, and the other 10 percent have been anti-virus apps that required updates for compatibility. I guess software engineers have learning curves too. :)There is a long laundry list of possible causes for Blue screens. Some are hardware specific, such as over or under voltage, over heating, excessive overclock, faulty components etc. but can also be poorly written drivers.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)