Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

2 copies of fs2004 on the same computer.

Guest richpress

I wish to install a 2nd copy of fs2004 on my computer to use as a testing base for addons as I have just gone through the bad experience of reinstallation. When I have tried to do this in the past the Install command on the fs2004 CD Gui is grayed out requiring uninstalling first.Has anybody done this and how?.Richard

Guest alfredmanning

Xp allows multiple usernames. I have two installations of FS2004.Username 1C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9Username 2E:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9To move between one fs2004 and the other fs2004start/Log Off/Switch UserEach fs2004 installation has its own fs9.cfg in the Applications Data folder for each user.

>I wish to install a 2nd copy of fs2004 on my computer to use>as a testing base for addons as I have just gone through the>bad experience of reinstallation. When I have tried to do this>in the past the Install command on the fs2004 CD Gui is grayed>out requiring uninstalling first.Has anybody done this and>how?.>Richard I have four (4) instances of FS9 on my machine. The original install on E: which became over-bloated, a "testing" install on G:, a FS9_Europe" install on I: and "FS9_USA" on J: I also have common Addon Scenery, fsfsconv and Scenery folders on F:. I found the easiest way to have these multiple instances was to copy the original to new location and then change the name of FS9.exe to "FS9_NEW.exe", of example...any name of your choice will do. In your "Documents and SettingsusernameApplicationsMicrosoftFS9" folder make a copy of FS9.cfg. Rename this copy "FS9_NEW.cfg". I keep seperate logbooks for each of my installs so in my "My DocumentsFilght Simulator Files" I have "Logbook.LOG", "Logbook_clean.LOG", "Logbook_Europe.LOG" and "Logbook_USA.LOG". To have these seperate logbooks just specify the name of your choice in the FS_xxxx.CFG file under [Misc], LOG_FILE=LOGBOOK_Europe , for instance. I have four shortcuts pointing to the appropriate FS9 EXE so I can go from one to the other without having to log off/on to change identities. This would be a real hassle for me as I have so many other programs installed under my "main" identity that trying to duplicate the environment for an alternate identity is just not the way I wanted to go. And for those addons that do not have a flexible installer and INSIST on using the registry pointer to the FS9 installation, there is a little program called "FS9_Registry_Repair.exe" that will let you switch that pointer at will so you can install to one or the other of your instances of FS9. So, in review...copy FS9 to your new location. Change the FS9.exe name to whatever you wish. Create a copy of FS9.CFG and rename it the same as the renamed FS9.exe. Edit that CFG file to specify a new logbook name, if you wish, then create a shortcut to the new installation. Fire it up and customize it as you wish. It will have it's own Scenery.cfg file located in the new installs root directory ( where the reneamed FS9.exe is located ) so you can enable/disable scenery elements without affecting the other installation. As I mentioned, I went a step further and created a common set of folders for scenery and panel stuff so that the 4 installs could use any or all of the same elements as the others. The Scenery.CFG file for FS9 allows you to specify the path to your addon scenery...it doesn't need to be in the same directory as FS9. Also, when panel/sound CFG files use "alias=" to point to fsfsconv or some other folder, you can enter a full path name there. In your case, you might just keep your initail FS9 install intact and point the new install to the "Addon Scenery" and "fsfsconv" folders as needed, to save disk space. Hope this helps and dosen't cause an overload! :) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>I wish to install a 2nd copy of fs2004 on my computer to use>as a testing base for addons as I have just gone through the>bad experience of reinstallation. When I have tried to do this>in the past the Install command on the fs2004 CD Gui is grayed>out requiring uninstalling first.Has anybody done this and>how?.>Richard A quick additional point...to get past that grayed out install option, I think ( as I recall )all you have to do is rename your original FS9.exe to something else. You should then be able to install from the CD's but you might lose your old FS9.cfg and Logbook files in the process. I'd back these up first. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest richpress

Wow that is what I call quick responses. Many thanks to everyone for your help. I have plenty of scope with all these options.Richard