Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Terrain.dll error in FS 2004

Guest richpress

I have recently carried out a reinstallation of fs2004 and all addons incl payware scenery.Occasionally I get a black screen crash with the event viewer showing "Faulting application fs9.exe, version 9.1.0.40901, faulting module terrain.dll, version 9.1.0.40901, fault address 0x000184d8." Is this scenery related? I would be interested in any way to track down the problem.Richard

Guest firehawk44

Check for any duplicate AFCAD's. This seems to be the number one suggestion to fix this problem from the searches I have done.A corrupted FSUIPC installed during installation of Radar Contact has caused some crashes. If appropriate, remove and download the one from the FSUIPC site.Check your scenery.cfg and make sure it is not corrupted (i.e., dup Areas/Layers or not in numerical sequence, etc.). Any recently installed scenery (before the crashes began) should be uninstalled or disabled through the scenery library. Once disabled, check to see if the problem continues.I did a search on AVSIM and Google using terrain.dll as the keyword. Many others have had this problem and you may want to review some of the discussions/threads to see if any relate to your computer system specifications and/or software installed.Best regards,Jim

Guest richpress

Many thanks for the response. Could you give me a rundown on how to go about checking for duplicate afcads or is there a utility to check this?Richard

I'll jump in here, Richard, because this is rang a little bell. There's a utility to track down duplicate AFCADs here:http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=SearchHowever, from your posting on my forum it seems you have my payware scenery? You'd need to be aware that where I've had to fix the elevation of an airport (Wellington is an example) I've included two AFCAD files, both of which are required for correct operation of AI.The copy is in SceneryWorldscenery folder.Which begs the question, could this duplicate be causing the problem? I wouldn't think so, as this is a technique used quite often by a lot of designers.However it would explain one reported instance of a crash even after the particular scenery was disabled via the Scenery Library, this wouldn't disable the AFCAD copy.This would be worth checking, but first I'd check to see if there are OTHER afcads hiding somewhere.-Robin

Guest richpress

Hi Robin.many thanks for the response. I had suspected something with the wellington scenery. I had one or two other problems which seemed to coincide with the installation of Wgton. One was a peculiar intermittant flicking of the scenery,(not the stutters) the other a section of the sea at the end of the runway was raised in a square looking a bit like a waterfall on three sides. I have done a complete reinstall of FS2004 incl wgtn scenery. The sea problem has gone but the terrain.dll error remains.I have downloaded the utility and will check this out.Regards Richard.

Guest richpress

Hi Robin.many thanks for the response. I had suspected something with the wellington scenery. I had one or two other problems which seemed to coincide with the installation of Wgton. One was a peculiar intermittant flicking of the scenery,(not the stutters) the other a section of the sea at the end of the runway was raised in a square looking a bit like a waterfall on three sides. I have done a complete reinstall of FS2004 incl wgtn scenery. The sea problem has gone but the terrain.dll error remains.I have downloaded the utility and will check this out.Regards Richard.

Guest richpress

Problem solved!!!!After weeks of frustration with FS9 crashes to the terrain dll error I discovered what the problem was. I noticed after a crash that the O&O defrag icon was in the task bar. I had this configured to start automatically without regard to CPU demand. The start of this program killed FS9 with a faulting Terrain dll.file. I have since used FS Autostart before running FS and have had no further problems.Cheers, Richard