Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

A Puzzling Approach

Could someone please try an approach for me? I was flying from KMCO to KAVP in the Eaglesoft Citation X and was using the ILS 22 approach into KAVP with the LHY transition. I had the GPS all loaded up and the plane turns nicely on the rather winding segment that leads to the localizer. ATC cleared me to 3800 to be maintained till established, and I loaded both navs with 109.9 for the localizer and switch to NAV from FMS mode. The localizer and glideslope come alive while curving in and before the ILS feather, and as I approach the feather at 3800 the gliceslope decends. I try to activate approach mode but the plane won't decend down the localizer path. Instead, it seems to climb. I wait to activate appr until I meet the glideslope as I usually do, but the plane doesn't decend on its own. Anything I'm overlooking?? Thanks. Tom

I may try this tonight if I have time. Quick question...were you a bar or two above or below the GS as indicated when you activated the APPR?

Tom, I am no expert and I do not have the eaglesoft citation x, but I did look at the approach. In your description you talk about approaching the feather at 3800. Which I assume is the outer marker, Dumor? If this is the case, then you should have been down to 2800 when you pass over the marker. Looking at the approach plate you would pass over LHY at 3800 until you reach Cosby intersection. Once you pass Cosby you would start your turn and start your desent to 2800 so that you are at 2800 when you pass the outer marker. I am not sure if this is part of your problem or if you already knew this info, if so sorry. Also sorry I could not help by flying it because I do not own that aircraft.Glenn

Thinking along the same lines as Jeff (edit: and Glenn too) - it sounds like you might be activating appr above or too high in the GS.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Cat.5.13's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Guest PPSFA

You have to capture the GS from below.

That's why I asked about the GS indicator. I haven't flown the CX in a while (one of my older favorites)but from what I remember, the CX got a bit of an attitude with you if the APPR was activated above the GS. Also as mentioned it should be activated a tad below anyway. Have a good night everyone.

Guest william273

make sure you click the approach button a few miles out before the localizer and glideslope not after you are already in the turn. works for me. william

Is this the default airport, or do you have a modified AFCAD file?What was the localizer ident you captured - IIZK or IAVP ?KAVP is one of the many airports in FS2004 with identical localizer frequencies on both ends of the same runway.Since "Enable Back Course" is the default setting for all localizers in FS2004, it is quite common for a user aircraft to capture the back course of the lower numbered end of the runway, not the localizer and glide path. The GP will show on the instruments - but the aircraft will not use the glidepath because the wrong localizer is being used.Check the ident of the localizer captured.The way to fix an airport is to open the localizer properties in AFCAD and unselect the "Enable Back Course" option on both localizers for a runway.

Thanks for all the help and feedback, guys. I have to admit, I didn't use an approach plate for this one, just the default ATC, so when they said maintain 3800 till established, I didn't decend any lower which apparantly I should have. I'll try finding that plate and then play around with the approach some more and let you know how I make out. Thanks again.;-) Tom

As Reggie said, there is a problem with improper back course capture if both localizers are on the same frequency.There is another complication at KAVP. Both of the localizers are offset from the runway heading in the real world. I don't know how accurately this is modeled in FS 9, but the back course capture issue is even worse when there is an offset localizer involved, at least in my experience.Todd

OK, I tried again with your advice and info and by decending to 2800 at DUMOR I was able to capture the glideslope and APR kept it pretty steady all the way down. The only thing was I got alarms and warnings all over the place of "Glideslope" and "too low" for decending below 3800, but it is clear on the plate that you are to decend at COSBY to be at 2800 by DUMOR. Thanks again. Tom