Sign in to follow this  
Guest arrowmaker

Which 737?

Guest thearrowmaker

I've decided to purchase a 737 for my FS9 library and was wondering which one to go for. The two models which seem to appear most often are the PMDG 737NG and Wilco's PIC 737. I was wondering if anyone out there has flown both and how do they compare? Also are there any other recommendations, regarding 737's?Alan

I own both the PMDG 600/700 with the 800/900 addon. And the Wilco 737 series.The PMDG is more modern, has many repaints and looks much nicer inside and out. Well of course it is the NG after all!The feelthere package is a touch of old with a touch of new. Looks ok and even has a neat WX radar in the HSI. Textures are not as nice and the nav data is lacking for euroland.Both come with a full FMC and model many systems, a true simulation.I say get both if you can afford it as I fully enjoy each in it's own way, but if I could only have one I would go with the PMDG series.Take note the 600/700 on it's own is no where near as good as the 800/900 addon. The 800/900 adds many more features and updates many things on the 600/700 as well.

• Like 1

Guest thearrowmaker

Thanks for the reply. Reading up a bit more on the subject it does's seem as if the PMDG is the better overall package. I have a feeling it's the one I will be going for. I checked out some of your video's. I like the one of the Hurricane, Spitfire and 109. CheersAlan

Guest ap9dm1

Avoid the Wilco 737, go for the PMDG option. Eveyone has their own opinion and taste on the matter, but for the life of me, I can't understand the attention Wilco's 737 has - maybe it's just me, but I think it's a poor product. Nice panel, but model design and performance let it down.D.

Yes, I bought PMDG but uninstalled it after some months. The planes are very nice, but the learning curve is relatively steep (you could spend weeks learning how to operate the FMC) - which would not be a problem, but the frame rate hit when flying the a/c is a decided disadvantage. With all my Active Sky and so on taking up bandwidth, PMDG was just one add-on too much; especially given that there are some great freebie 737s (try the excellent 737exp11.zip from the file library - lots of liveries downloadable too).Martin

Guest dodger

Hi Alan, This is just my opinion but i have been flying the 737 in the sim for quite a while ever since Dreamfleet't 400 series and of course it depends if you want the early or later versions, for the 3/4/500 i have just purchased the FiftyNorth 737's and although it has not got a cockpit with it i have found it to be a really great model for the money, i bought Wilco's version a month ago after debating but was really disappointed with the visual model, to me it just did,nt capture the body shape, The PMDG models are good if you want the later models and as its already been said there are some great free 737's about but for payware i would again say try the FiftyNorth aircraft. Hope this helps, Cheers.

Guest thearrowmaker

Thanks for all the reply's. I had a look at FiftyNorth's 737 but have decided to go the PMDG route. I feel it is the best overall package out there.Alan

If you're looking for something with a bit more nostalgic feel, you should try the TinMouse II 737-200 sim. It's freeware and is in a league of its own. It is in a state of constant development but it is the best -200 out there. If your taste is for a more modern 737 then the PMDG 73NG series has no match although the ground spoilers are a bit buggy.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpgwww.SSTSIM.com