Sign in to follow this  
Guest RollsRoyce

Opinions sought on X-fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty and FS9

Guest RollsRoyce

Hi all,I need some advice on X-fi soundcards and their Fatal1ty series in particular. Currently, I have an Audigy 2ZS and whilst its a great card, with the PMDG 747 I get sound crackling when throttling up or down. No matter whatever soundset I use, I still get this crackling and static sound that ruins the whole experience with this airplane. Their latest soundset seems to have removed a great deal of crackling but some remains. Now, the issue seems to be the Panel sounds and the FS engine sounds. Due to them being separate and requiring a lot of processing power, I get these static sounds with my card.Now, with that in mind, what sort of difference would I be getting If I were to buy the X-fi series? Would their base model be sufficient? I have been looking at their latest X-fi Xtremegamer Fatal1ty series which has X-ram (RAM for sound). Would this card remove all the crackling issues I get with FS sound and does FS support X-ram?I really need good advice as these new cards are expensive.Here's the Fatal1ty card: http://www.soundblaster.com/products/produ...8&product=15854Bilal(Mirrored post from Hardware forum for more replies)

Guest AOA

HiAny one of those series cards should be ok but there appears to be some folks that have poping/crackling problems that are inherent in the X-FI series cards/drivers.Your best bet is to hunt up some dedicated creative forums and check it out.By the way I was looking at the Platinum card myself.Pete

Bilal:FS9 doesn't support XRam. I have the X-Fi Platinum and never heard a crackle yet. So unless you just want to spend more money, you should be very happy with the X-Fi Platinum...

>Bilal:>>FS9 doesn't support XRam. I have the X-Fi Platinum and never>heard a crackle yet. So unless you just want to spend more>money, you should be very happy with the X-Fi Platinum...>>Same as Mike here :) No problems.I love it.Tim

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Guest RollsRoyce

Guys, thank you all so much for your replies! The irony that I get more help in the FS9 forum than the hardware forum!Anyhow, Mike, according to this page:http://us.creative.com/shop/shopcategory.asp?category=1Can you see how many variants there are of the X-fi?The Platinum/Fatal1ty/elite models all feature additional modules rather than the soundcard which is all I need, plus they're quite expensive!Now, with regard to that webpage, which one will be sufficient to remove my crackling?I'm thinking: X-fi Xtrememusic OR (if I want to burn money) X-fi Fatal1ty pro series Xtremegamer.$99 vs $149.Help me choose Mike!Bilal

Hi Bilal:Welllllll, here is what I think. My X-Fi Platinum has Gamer, Music and another mode that I can't think of right now, and I am on my laptop in bed so I'm too lazy to go downstairs to look! LOL.None the less, Gamer mode says it is the most powerful sound engine for games. SO, I'd go with the Xtremegamer which should give you the horsepower where you really need it. I don't see or hear much of a difference between the modes, so I keep it in Gamer mode..XRam sounds cool, but quite frankly unless you know of a game you intend to play regularly that supports it, its just a waste of money. AND with the $50 bucks you save you can put into the pot of cash you'll need to upgrade to Windows Vista, DX10 video card, and more memory so you can use FSX

Guest LAzerxxx

Pete,I myself have the X-Fi Platinum. I every once in a while get a crackling sound, but only when I use my high end add on planes like PMDG 747QOTS. In all other games that I play though I get nothing but exquisite surround sound. And that other mode was Audio Creation Mode, which show you a sound board. With that you are able to hook up instruments to your computer either thru a MIDI or jack.Happy Flying, Hayden Lee Laffoonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgMy Rig: Compaq Presario SL1315CLProcessor: AMD Athlon 64 2.4gHDD: 160gb (Stock HD)Mem: 2048g PC3200 DDR 400mhzGFX: XFX 6800XT 256mb GDDR3 (OC:475, 1.14)Sound: Creative X-Fi PLatinumSpeakers: Logitech X-530 5.1Monitors: 19" LCD, Stock 17" CRTPSU: Antec SmartPower 2.0 350wt:-outta

Guest AOA

Hi HaydenYep I`ve had my platinum for about a week now and am pretty happy with it and agree on the surround when in dvd playback.As for FS it`s ok and it plays well with the couple of payware planes that I fly LDS767/F1 a36.I also like the fact that I can leave my speakers plugged in and use the drivebay panel to use headphones/mic without messing around with plugs in the back of my pc.I`m still getting familiar with the software but so far I`m happy with this card.Pete

Guest LAzerxxx

Hey Pete,I' know what you mean, I''ve had mine for a little while now, about 6 months or so, and I'm still getting used to it.I don't know if you figured it out yet or not, but to be able to use your mic on the front panel you will have to go into your mixer section and change your settings to Line-in2/Mic2.Happy Flying, Hayden Lee Laffoonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpgMy Rig: Compaq Presario SL1315CLProcessor: AMD Athlon 64 2.4gHDD: 160gb (Stock HD)Mem: 2048g PC3200 DDR 400mhzGFX: XFX 6800XT 256mb GDDR3 (OC:475, 1.14)Sound: Creative X-Fi PLatinumSpeakers: Logitech X-530 5.1Monitors: 19" LCD, Stock 17" CRTPSU: Antec SmartPower 2.0 350wt:-outta

Guest AOA

HaydenLOL yeah the first thing I figured out was that line selection.I use TeamSpeak/voip so I was right on that one.;)That was an excellent point though as it may be of help to someone setting it up.Oh and as an afterthought this card rocks with BF2/2142 in gamer mode.The posistional effects are unbelievable.Pete

Hey everyone, I have had the X-FiPlatnium, X-Fi Gamer, Audigy 4 and they all crackle on my system with certain aircraft. I have a thread over at the hardware forums with Manny, and I am starting to think it's my MB, not to mention sales reps have told me the same. My board is in my sig, if we have anything in common there? I am looking at a pro audio card of some sort and hopeful it will get rid of this issue for me. Also, this might be moved or deleted as it is not in the Hardware forum. The Hardware forum is accessed through the FSX forum, then towards the top is the link. I remember seeing a post from Tom about this in case this thread disappears. Just a heads up if you were not aware of this.