Sign in to follow this  
greenland

Flight1 Iron Knuckle experts HELP

Hi AllHas anyone out here got the autothrottle to work properly, then please give em a "How to" explanation.I find the manual very confusing. You have be reading several different places in the manual in the same time, with a lot of hyperlinks, so to find informations - and it will not work for me.Every time I engage Autotthrottle the plane immidiately goes into overspeed unless I make a wild climb.I can't get the EPR limiter to go below 2.0 - how do I do?I also can't get the IAS bug to go below 210 kts.I am having problems with the checklists too. IMHO it need a big revision and a step by step tutorial-flight*:-* Regards

Hi All againThis was not very well spelled.Here is another try:I find the manual very confusing. It is necessary to be reading several different places in the manual in the same time, with a lot of hyperlinks, so a Printed Manual isn't any big help to find informations - and the Autothrottle just will not work for me.HenrikBGGH

Guest cw1011

I think Jim Rhodes has adressed a bunch of these issues on the Flight1 forum. You might be better off posting over there I can answer the IAS below 210 - the plane was not meant to be flown with auto throttle at low speeds on approach. You've got to do it by hand. This isn't like the 767 where you can dial in your speeds all the way to the threshold.When are you engaging the autothrottle and what are the other autopilot settings at the time? How heavilly loaded are you?In a plane with limited automation the auto throttle feature was meant primarilly for the cruise portion of flight. The plane was designed to be flown by hand going up and coming down. This might be causing some confusion to the AP's tiny little brain. This is not an "engage the AP at 1,000 AGL" kind of airplane and trying to fly it like one will cause you great frustration. I find significant differences in performance based on weight. A climb setting on a speed chart might be far too much for a light load, but heavilly weighed down and at the right attidude, the plane will fly as advertised. This too may be confusing the auto pilot.Can't answer the EPR limit because I can't get it below 2 either - however, I set engine thrust using N1% so I don't really care. I do this becuase EPR settings just don't match the charts if you set by N1% - and the plane flies pretty true to the numbers if you use N1%. Since EPR isn't something modeled in MSFS, this doesn't surprise me. I also, frankly, almost never use auto throttle, using the speed charts and setting the thrust by hand. Gives me something to monitor when I hit 32,000. I hope you are plumbing the Flight1 forums and the two or three sites that have a great deal of info on the DC-9. There is just a ton of great stuff there. The SAS captain's site (don't have the URL - won't be hard to find though)which gives great step by step on how this gent flies the plane for real is a huge resource, as is the site with the various flight data that a gent has collected for a bunch of different airplanes.Have fun!Colin

>Every time I engage Autotthrottle the plane immidiately goes >into overspeed unless I make a wild climb. >Do you have a reasonable Mach number set? The 0.75M mentioned in the tutorial is at cruise altitude, you need to slowly increase it to that value as you climb.>I also can't get the IAS bug to go below 210 kts. >There is no IAS bug, you're talking about the Mach trim bug. Minimal Machsetting for the autothrottle is 0.5M which just happens to be at about 210 knots on the gauge (the two scales just overlap there).

Hi Colin and JwentingThanx for the info. Makes me less confused. The 210 Kts / 0.5 Mach I found out last night. I have also been posting the questions at the Flight1 forum, but that forum seems rather inactive. I will have a look there too.And I also will have a look at the scandinavian site.What also confused me / made me think I was toally wrong somewhere, is the pictures in the POH, showing green, orange and white indications on the Autopilot annunciator panel (page 30 in the POH) All mine are white!!Thanks againRegards