Sign in to follow this  
Guest JKelsey

FSX Textures in FS9 ???

Guest JKelsey

Just curious if there is a way to convert the FSX ground textures so they are usable in FS9? I like the FSX ones much better than G-PRO.I tried just using the FSX ones "as is" but FS9 kept hanging while loading at 22%.Thanks,James

Guest JKelsey

Mr. Gibson,Thank you very much for your reply.Can you suggest a program for download that can convert these DXT files to DXT1? Many thanks.James

Guest JKelsey

Tom,Never mind. Figured it out. Posted some screenies in screen shot forum.James

Guest cimanera

James, took a look at your screen shots in the forum. They look quite nice. Could you b kindly drop me a line briefly explaining process of how to transfer the textures. As mentioned above, I know that textures must be reduced, but how did you identify which files were the ground textures? Also, did you have any luck transferring the ocean water textures?Thankscimanera@aol.com

>Tom,>>Never mind. Figured it out. Posted some screenies in screen>shot forum.>>JamesI would be interested in knowing how to do this.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi,The answers: Can you do it? Yes.Do you want to? Probably not.I used convim from MWGraphics to batch convert the numbered ground textures in FSX/Scenery/World/Texture. I created a new folder and put the converted textures into there. I converted to FS70 DXT1 Bitmaps, and reduced the size to 256 x 256 (optional).Then removed the ones might not work (search for 2m, delete. Search for X, delete. Remove all files in the 300 and 900 series. Remove all files that don't start with a number.)Then created a COPY of the FS9 Scenery/World/texture folder (renamed my original folder texture.fs9), and copied over all the converted textures. Works fine, they all show up.So why not use them? The FSX autogen (.agn) files are not compatible with FS9, and the old FS9 autogen is being placed across roads, etc. VERY ugly. If you run FS9 without any autogen I guess this would work OK, but it's not for me. I'll buy GEP, which looks similar and has properly aligned autogen.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___