Sign in to follow this  
Guest McFly

FS9 Commercial addon sale. .

Guest McFly

I was hoping to see some of the payware addon guys offering their now obsolete software at some reduced pricing since it appears fairly difficult to make most of the complex ones FSX compliant. It now appears that FSX in all its glory won't be seen for quite some time to come. . . hardware, OS, and those must have addons are all in the future. So, I guess the present FS9 stuff still has quite a bit of life left. I know it has for me.At some point all the ingredients will be available to make the eye-popping switch-over and when that time comes. . . Yeeeha But for now FS9 is just fine.Terry

> So, I guess the>present FS9 stuff still has quite a bit of life left. I know>it has for me.>That being the case, why would you expect "reduced pricing" from addon developers?ricardo

>That being the case, why would you expect "reduced pricing">from addon developers?Very true.FS9 still have many more years of pure enjoyment. That is why I am sure that most developers will make their addons FS9 compatible aswell. ;-)http://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gifMy specs are:Dell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo, flashed to a X850 XT PE. Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0cW XP Home with SP2E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA Lacie 250Gb Extern HDMy Blogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviMy work: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

Guest McFly

>>That being the case, why would you expect "reduced pricing">from addon developers?>>ricardoI don't think that would be an unexpected possibilty seeing that with all the pre hoopala surounding FSX the community was expected to jump right on the band wagaon. And that might have been the case if the real world were ready to provide the OS and hardware to make it live up to its publicity. Now we no it is not. Which has given longer life to FS9. I have no problem with that. It's not a new idea to reduce inventory with sale prices of last years model. . . what ever it is.BTW, What's a copy of FS2004 going for now at Best Buy?Terry

>>It's not a new idea to reduce inventory with sale prices of>last years model. . . what ever it is.>With the majority of add-ons being on-line downloads, inventory is a non issue. Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.sstsim.com/images/team/JR.jpgwww.SSTSIM.com

>BTW, What's a copy of FS2004 going for now at Best Buy?>>Terrysaw a copy of FS9 at gamespot for $24.95ricardo

Guest McFly

>>>BTW, What's a copy of FS2004 going for now at Best Buy?>>>>Terry>>saw a copy of FS9 at gamespot for $24.95>>ricardoThank you Ricardo, case in point.TerryI as said before. discounting old merchandise, no matter in what form, is a time proven tactic. As it stands now FS9 looks to have a good second life.

>>>>>BTW, What's a copy of FS2004 going for now at Best Buy?>>>>>>Terry>>>>saw a copy of FS9 at gamespot for $24.95>>>>ricardo>>Thank you Ricardo, case in point.>>Terry>>I as said before. discounting old merchandise, no matter in>what form, is a time proven tactic. >>As it stands now FS9 looks to have a good second life. >Perhaps because FS9 is going to remain strong for a while we don't consider our merchandise old? ;)

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>I was hoping to see some of the payware addon guys offering>their now obsolete software at some reduced pricing since it>appears fairly difficult to make most of the complex ones FSX>compliant. It now appears that FSX in all its glory won't be>seen for quite some time to come. . . hardware, OS, and those>must have addons are all in the future. So, I guess the>present FS9 stuff still has quite a bit of life left. I know>it has for me.Some companies are already offering their FS9 titles with discounts. E.g. Captain Sim started clearance sale, prices are noticeably reduced.

I see a couple of preconceived notions in this thread.1) Obsolete. The fact you're wanting to purchase FS9 addons clearly shows they're anything but obsolete. Couple that with the current mindset that FSX is not 'all that', and I think it's safe to say FS9 addons are not obsolete.2) Stock. Most of the addons are electronic downloads, there is no stock. When the developer chooses to no longer support FS9, they simply stop providing access to the download. No stock loss at all.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>> So, I guess the>>present FS9 stuff still has quite a bit of life left. I know>>it has for me.>>>>That being the case, why would you expect "reduced pricing">from addon developers?>>ricardoWould you buy a coffee machine from the 1970's for the same price as new ones? I don't think so...It's really similar with FS2004 Addons which aren't updated for FSX (e.g. PMDG 737NG Series). There will be no update for it, but a fully new version.When this version is out, would you buy the older one for the same price, but with less features? Again, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't.Regards,Mariusclassic3.jpg

In the past, addons have not dropped in price much, if at all, except for a few vendors.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

This thread topic is asinine to say the least. A Vista release for example doesn't automatically mean everything XP is going to be reduced or discontinued. Microsoft will still charge the same licensing fees to companies using XP at the same level they've always done (if you don't believe me go ask the techs on your job). You can't compare downloadable data to physical merchandise. Unless a said product has a direct update there's no need to reduce prices. People aren't exclusively using FSX (like what we've seen in the past). This is not FS98 to FS2000... Eaglesoft for example discontinued it's original Beechjet/Hawker. Should the new version be at a reduced price just because it's FS9 Compatible??? You can't use real world tactics in the virtual world of computer marketing (maybe in some cases but not all). I still get just as much enjoyment out of the Level-D 767 as the day I bought it. It looks just as new as the day I bought it too. That's not the case with the car I bought around the same time period. As long as FS9 is still a major player in this community while FSX struggles to get 10FPS with a default install, all prices should stay the same. Someone coming in new to this hobby is not going to see the PMDG 744 as old technology (because it's not) on FS9. That same very same add-on will get very old fast under an FSX environment at 5 frames per second over Seattle. At this point we should have FSX add-ons at a reduced price for all the aggravation involved. Some of you making these kinds of suggestion should really think about what your saying and if that doesn't work get into development. It's obvious as a general user you can't see the benefit running add-ons in FS9 versus FSX. It's crazy to reduce prices on a perfectly good product just because FSX is on the market. FSX is new but by no means better for purposes of just using and enjoying the product. When people want to really have fun simming they use FS9 not FSX. Therefore add-ons produced for FS9 should be priced accordingly. When you want a headache you dive into FSX (an program not conducive to add-ons at this point).

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

>As long as FS9 is still a major player in this community while>FSX struggles to get 10FPS with a default install, all prices>should stay the same. Someone coming in new to this hobby is>not going to see the PMDG 744 as old technology (because it's>not) on FS9. That same very same add-on will get very old>fast under an FSX environment at 5 frames per second over>Seattle. At this point we should have FSX add-ons at a>reduced price for all the aggravation involved. Some of you>making these kinds of suggestion should really think about>what your saying and if that doesn't work get into>development. It's obvious as a general user you can't see the>benefit running add-ons in FS9 versus FSX. It's crazy to>reduce prices on a perfectly good product just because FSX is>on the market. FSX is new but by no means better for purposes>of just using and enjoying the product. >>When people want to really have fun simming they use FS9 not>FSX. Therefore add-ons produced for FS9 should be priced>accordingly. When you want a headache you dive into FSX (an>program not conducive to add-ons at this point). Only developers can decide this.

Guest McFly

When I started this thread it was just a comment on the possibility of of seeing some discounts on FS9 aftermarket stuff. Several objections about using the terms like obsolete, stock reduction and the like were raised. I'm not sure what the appropriate term would be acceptable to everyone but there is no doubt about it that FS9 is last years model. At some point the followers of the franchise will make the major switch-over to FSX. In the meantime it is pretty obvious now that the best performance is not available with it due to OS DirectX and hardware unavailability. So, I just thought that we might see some of the 3rd party addon people take advantage of the situation before the FS9 party comes to an end.BTW I have seen some evidence that this is happening.Terry