Sign in to follow this  
Guest davewins

landing too easy??

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

Landing in real life is supposed to be very very easy and simple to do.

Hi Dave; Go to Rolla Downtown...go into weather..advanced weather...set windsto 315 deg 15 gusting 25. Enable turbulance and wind shear...do a couple of touch and go's and let me know if it's too easy.:-lol And whatever you do always remember...Takeoffs are optional, butlandings are mandatory. :-badteeth

My flight instructor said..oh you need about 5 hours to learn to fly, but about 25 hours to do proper landings in most circumstances...:)Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest davewins

Yes, I'm sorry I do have settings at max.

Guest pilotbrian0

"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"But I don't wanna diiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee! :(I love that line though, it's good.Kinda reminds me of the one flight...CFI: To go up, pull back gently, to go down, let off some power.ME: Won't that end with me at idle power and us falling out of the sky?CFI: Why, you expecting a rollercoaster?

If you think landing is too easy, try landing the Captain Sim F-104 on a short runway. It's a riot, but it ain't easy.

Get the RealAir Spitfire, and go for the perfect landings with little or no bounce. It's challenging & requires some good throttle management, as well as proper approach speeds.I think many of ther replies in this thread, are over simplification. When you're a student pilot, you'll be doing landings, after landings, after landings. If a "proper" landing was so easy right off the bat, then all these landings after all these years would hardly be nessesary.Just because you might hit the ground with three wheels at once in FS, and survive, it doesn't mean it couldn't do some nose gear damage or cause the airplane to bounce and then need to be recovered gracefully in real life.As a student pilot, you also learn "sight pictures", which include the flying attitude of the aircraft, as you trim in a nose down condition with airplanes such as a Piper Warrior or Cessna 172, while making that turn to base. You'll also have another sight picture of the aircraft in the final moments of flare, to keep the nose gear from hitting the same time as the mains.Some airplanes will require power on approaches, or extra (possibly excessive) airpseed to keep the nose from dropping out from under you in the final moments of the flare. I use the term excessive airpeed, because it depends on what you're doing. If you're bush flying and the runway is short, and the plane isn't a 172 floater, then you use power to keep from dropping until the right moment, and keep airspeed minimized to keep the landing roll short. And then there is variations to this.As a general rule, FS isn't showing damage, but yet it's capable of simulating proper landings, which require smooth throttle & pitch adjustments to maintain proper approach speeds and descent angle to the runway. Just flying it onto the runway means little, since the simulated tires don't blow, the firewall doesn't buckle, and the gear doesn't collapse.I wouldn't want simulators to get the idea that it's "that" much of a cake walk the first few times around. L.Adamson

A real good way to land and to experience the consequences of landing (whether good or bad) is landing Digital Aviation Dornier 27 and looking at the maintenance log...;)Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest pilotbrian0

We ultimately are splitting hairs here. It takes a long time to learn to land WELL in a sim as well... Not to mention that after learning to land in FS, I went and on my first flight was able to land the plane with no instructor input (except he kicked the rudder at the last moment cause I wasn't handling the crosswind well). I will not say it was a good landing, but it was a landing, and no aircraft damage resulted. Within 10 hours of flight time I was up flying solo (had prolly 30 landings under my belt at that point). My first solo landing wasn't graceful either (You know how you can get nervous and forget EVERYTHING you learned about that runway not being there to kill you etc etc, yeah, HIGH!) But I landed it, and no aircraft damage, on takeoff, I had an engine failure, landed it, no aircraft damage (engine was fuel starved due to a bad fuel selector).Landing isn't a cakewalk, in FS or RL and yes, if you turn crashes on and set crash realism to max, FS is pretty picky about landing, heck, I had one landing in FS that seemed pretty smooth but it called it a crash, I found out later that I had a vs of -500 and landed all 3, but that's the kind of thing it takes to break a small plane. I've landed a warrior on all 3, and I've bounced more than my fair share of warriors, they aren't made of glass like your instructor tries to tell you. Though it's not a bad idea to treat them like they are, it just means you won't be pushing the edges of your flight envelope (honestly, never a good idea anyways).-Brian

Guest USAir319

HI,My dad has flown numerous aircraft (A319/320, 733, numerous Cessnas, Piper, etc) and tried flying FS9 one day. He got on and ttried to land. He told me that FS is about 10x harder than the real thing.

"My dad has flown numerous aircraft (A319/320, 733, numerous Cessnas, Piper, etc) and tried flying FS9 one day. He got on and ttried to land. He told me that FS is about 10x harder than the real thing"I've told people billions of times not to exaggerate :)Honestly, real life landing has more risks than landing in the sim. A lot more is on the line. MSFS will never offer that much challenge since the risk and responsibility isn't there. As I noted earlier, where MSFS is more challenging for me is visual awareness. Add some weather in MSFS and the scale starts to tip the other way. There's challenge, but no risk. One thing I also forgot to note earlier, is in the MSFS world, all runways are perfectly flat. That's not true in the real world and when you are looking at visual cues during landing, a runway with a gradient change can add its own challenge.-John

IF MSFS would directly format your harddrive after a crash, then a lot more go arounds and serious landings would be attempted!JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE

I find RL landing much easier then the sim...it is harder to keep your speed at what you want it in the sim though... plus periphal vision and feeling the plane helps alot when you are landing say a cessna

Guest aarskringspier

What do you fly Razor