Sign in to follow this  
enyap

Not too late to improve FS9

I've done two things this week which have improved FS9, I'm sure they've been posted before but just in case anyone with a similarly old set up to mine wants to squeeze the last drop of performance try these. (P4 2.4 1GB RAM ATI 9800 Pro)Follow this link........http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=25421scroll down for the actual tip.The other thing I did was to try out UltimateDefrag from Disk Trix. With this you select exactly where on the hard disk you want you files to go, i.e. you can put your complete FS folder on the outer, quicker tracks. There's a 30 day free trial on this, it does take ages (overnight at least) and a bit of trial and error to get it to do what you want. It worked for me by specifying FS9 and Windows folders for high performance in the tools options, no archiving,and defragging with the consolidate method with only respect high performance ticked in the consolidate options.John

Guest Bud

Hello JohnI was a bit surprised that your post didn't generate interest. Maybe it's just me being the only bloke who hasn't seen this before. Well I hadn't. I run FS on four linked 'putes - they're all pretty well specified so I've never been much trouble with fps issues. However, I do get stutters, especially at large add-on airports and have had texture problems.Using the tips you referred to totally transformed my last couple of flights. I've never had such a smooth ride. I see the land textures on four monitors and all were as crisp as I've ever seen. Have to say I'm well pleased and wanted to send you warm thanks for the heads up.Bud

Hi John,Thanks for the tip. I can't say I'm seeing a huge improvement, but I've only tried a couple of settings, and it certainly hasn't made it any worse. Part of the problem, for me at least, is establishing a base and then comparing it to the changes. It's easy when optimizing frame rates, because you are comparing a specific value (fps). Texture clarity is more subjective. I'm thinking of saving a flight over an area, then taking befor and after screenshots. Dale

Dale

Guest johnegg

Sounds interesting, Im happy to play with my config file after saving a copy, but can anyone tell me where it is?John

This suggestion made all the difference in FS9 for me (along with the other thread in this forum)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

WOW! what an improvement..thanks!!Dillon..what other thread?

Eric 

You're welcome guys, I too was surprised what little interest this generated at first, maybe most people have faster computers by now or have tweaked to their satisfaction. Funnily enough I had a tutorial email from disktrix using FS9 as an example, here it is. I must stress first that I've absolutely no connection with them, but I am impressed with the results, even though the initial defrag takes ages.High Performance That Stays in PlaceA brief tip and tutorial that we wish to bring you today will give you the performance you are looking for with certain programs and at the same time reduce the time for subsequent defrags.We are going to position a program for High Performance and then we are going to add it to the exclude list so that in subsequent defrags it remains untouched and stays in it

Eric the thread is called, 'New FS9 Tweaks from FSX.'Follow the links and do what's advised. I reinstalled DX9c and updated my Video Card drivers to the latest Omega version. Big improvement for me although it didn't help for the one add-on I was trying to improve (the Eaglesoft Beechjet/Hawker). FS9 runs silky smooth now with all add-ons... :-)John for those of us that are constantly adding to FS9 I can't see how Ultimate Defrag would help. The Gauge, Aircraft, Modules, and Scenery folders are constantly being updated with each new add-on install therefore requiring a new defrag option to put everything in place. You can't keep the FS folder in a static state unless you stop buying add-ons. It's worth a look for anyone interested but as it stands FS9 runs like a brand new sim on my machine (well not exactly brand new because FSX is brand new and we all know how that runs) or should I say a different sim than before...

FS2020 

John:What is exactly about the 1st tweak you mention?I cannot access to the site for which you put the link.dilloll0:Is it necessary to reinstall a GPU driver after updating Dx9?How do you easily replace the Catalyst driver. Uninstall, or some auto tool?Thank you.

DillonI know exactly what you mean, you'd have to be pretty geekish to keep all your FS files in one place all the time, but it seems possible to work out a way of keeping most of FS9 on the outside tracks of the hard drive without too much trouble. Also, if your sim runs really well you are exactly the sort of person my post wasn't intended for, it was directed at those of us who are still a few steps behind with our hardware. GhiomI don't know why you can't access that link, it works for me, try copying and pasting it. There are posts on the subject in this forum, search for TextureMaxLoad either here or Google should throw up some other sites.John

Ghiom I updated DX9 first. I then did a search on Google for the latest Omega Drivers. After that I uninstalled the current driver and ran the Omega exe... :-)

FS2020 

Guest fruitfly

>John for those of us that are constantly adding to FS9 I can't>see how Ultimate Defrag would help. The Gauge, Aircraft,>Modules, and Scenery folders are constantly being updated with>each new add-on install therefore requiring a new defrag>option to put everything in place. You can't keep the FS>folder in a static state unless you stop buying add-ons. Dillon, it's a sensible remark, but there's an easy way around it:once you put FS9 on the outer rim of the HDD, you simply leave a certain amount of free space (you choose how much) and only than you keep on stacking other things, toward the center of the HDD. So, everything you add later on to FS9 will not be fragmented, but added to it as a contigous file that is still on the very rim of the HDD.I have bought PerfectDisk 8 not too long ago and have been very pleased with it since. IMHO the best defrag tool out there.However, one can't do nothing with it in regard with files placement.Actually, I wasn't even aware of that technique for improving running of the Windows and/or specified applications.After using the UD tryal version and after seeing the results the file placement had on my FS9, I'll definetly buy it.It won't be my first choice defrag tool - (PerfectDisk is so much better) but as a 'file placer'I have yet to see a program that can beat it.Thanks to the original poster; it has tremendously helped my simming