Sign in to follow this  
kevinc5

B 707 recommendations?

I see that there are several 707's and DC 8's available from the Historic Jetliners Group and a payware 707 from Flight 1. Any recommendations? Thanks

Sadly the only game in town visually is CaptainSim's version (Flight1 sells it as well I believe). I here the FDE (flight model) is terrible...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Try the HJG versions and see how you like them. The group specializes in these aircraft, and they aren't bad at all - they're also free.DJ

I have the Captain Sim 707, and though some are not happy with it, I am.It looks good, flies well (as if I would know) and has a great VC. It's a lot of fun to fly. And not one digital readout in the whole bloody thing. Just dials and gauges. Love it. A real classic.

I am puzzled by the searing criticism of certain CS products. I bought the 727 a very long time ago and thought it was excellent. Especially the flight model. At that time, it appears a lot of other folks felt similarly. However, when the Dreamfleet 727 came out, it seems that a lot of people dumped the CS model and said it was total $#!t and rejoiced over the DF model instead. I continued to fly the CS three holer because it was great and I found it particularly good on the power curve when low and slow--the risks of a stall were very high which I thought was realistic. Generally, the 727 handled very well for me.Over time I saw a lot of very mixed comments about the flight model of the CS 707 from "superb" to "sodding awful". How is this range of acclaim/criticism so possible ? I get the impression that a lot of it has to do with being "flavor of the month" or not as the case may be. If I were a FS commercial a/c developer, I would feel very baffled, really.JS

>I see that there are several 707's and DC 8's available from>the Historic Jetliners Group and a payware 707 from Flight 1. >Any recommendations? >Thanks> I highly recommend CS's 707. Why bother with ordinary 707's if you can fly the wonder jet that CS has modelled. CS's version has two unique features that you won't find on any other model:First of all, CS has modelled what I call the "Willie Nelson goes to Jamaica" edition: upon engaging the autopilot, the plane will bob up and down just like Willie Nelson on ganja.Secondly, it appears that Boeing, in a spectacular feat of engineering ingenuity, have managed to slap three engines on a four engine plane. (You'll realize this as you start the engine and listen to the cockpit voices). Taken together with the "thick manuals", the superb support, and the promise of a 9,000 gigabyte update - how can you, I ask you, go wrong with this addon?ricardo

Between this and your Ariane recommendation, you are on a roll today!DJ :-lol

Captain Sim's 707 is spectacular. I love itManny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>>I am puzzled by the searing criticism of certain CS products. >I bought the 727 a very long time ago and thought it was>excellent. Especially the flight model. At that time, it>appears a lot of other folks felt similarly. >>However, when the Dreamfleet 727 came out, it seems that a lot>of people dumped the CS model and said it was total $#!t and>rejoiced over the DF model instead. I continued to fly the CS>three holer because it was great and I found it particularly>good on the power curve when low and slow--the risks of a>stall were very high which I thought was realistic. >Generally, the 727 handled very well for me.>>Over time I saw a lot of very mixed comments about the flight>model of the CS 707 from "superb" to "sodding awful". >>How is this range of acclaim/criticism so possible ? I get>the impression that a lot of it has to do with being "flavor>of the month" or not as the case may be. If I were a FS>commercial a/c developer, I would feel very baffled, really.>>JSJS..I couldn't have put it any better. I agree with your observation 100%The more I read some of the crap here.. The more I am realizing that I have to try things out myself.. There is a mob mentality. People who are clueless piling on cause.. "Majority" is somehow more alluring to them. Remember.. Mediocrity is the majority.Manny

Manny

Captain Sim is getting my $ tonite. It's a deal. Thanks Manny; good to have your voice in these forums. I actually wondered if I was gonna get flamed for my earlier post! BTW, my Triplehead gig is going amazingly well. No glitches, even with mis-matched LCs, and it just wows! me every time I boot her up -- and everybody else who sees it. I am delighted I went with TH2G rather than just a 2nd 24" LCD. I just have to instal the 707 and fly that VC in the rig. Then it'll feel like 1965 all over again, ah, the good ol' days. Can't wait.Cheers,JS

JS ..if you liked the CS 727, you'll like the 707. Its better. The VC is more functional in the 707 than in the 727.It took me a long time to get the 707. and mind you, I bought it recently.. and I am used to PMDG and Lvd-D and yet I liked their hand flying airliner. Dirty, smokey...and challening to fly airliner. They also have tons of paint jobs. It is aged ofcourse...but still I like it.The only thing.. I have not liked about CS is their 757 for the FSX. Manny

Manny

OK, man, just great--great. Thanks.I really dug the CS 727 and still do so if the 707 is even better and has an even more functional VC, I am gonna be VERY happy. On my rig, I hand fly as much as poss these days, and I love handling the older jets as well as the newer BOEINGs. My rig has become more than half a real-life cockpit by now. GoFlight is sending me a pedestal and that sucker is going into service the day it gets here.I confess I was kinda baffled by the dev and marketing of the CS757 and so I didn't get it yet. I might get the 757 by LEVEL-D--if they ever make it !But for now, I am just gonna sit back and wait for the Dash 80's direct descendant to wing its way to me.Appreciate your posts !JS

I dislike Captsim Sim almost as much as i dislike FSD!!!HOWEVER... I would thoroughly reccommend their 707 on it's own merit (apart from the silly 3 engine start callouts).

I bought the CS 707 when it was on sale for ~$10 over Christmas.Their 3D modeling is really good, and the VC looks nice.As with the 727 before it, the EPR gauges are useless...while many other producers of both payware and freeware have managed to field good custom-programmed EPR instruments, CS insists on continuing to use a variable long known to be broken in FS, and then foisting the blame on Microsoft. Unfortunately, since they use a single massive unigauge in their panels, it's not really feasible to replace the EPR gauges with a custom programmed one.You can avoid the bobbing if you're willing to load the jet to an extreme and unrealistic CG and leave it there.No complaints, though, when I bought it I already knew I was getting an incomplete abandoned project that looks good but needs a lot of work and some patience and tolerance for the absurd. In all, I think it was worth close to the $10 I paid for it.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case