Sign in to follow this  
northridge

New pc build, and performance dropping drastically

About seven weeks ago I rebuilt with an Asus A8N, AMD DualCore 64 4200+, Asus 7900GTX, and upped to 2GB of DDR and a 550w power supply, keeping the previous 120Gb WD Sata.I was able to slide everything I wanted to the right and was amazed at how much more I was seeing, how much more nuance in terms of texture, colour etc, and how high and consistent the fps were, even with complex payware scenery and 'planes.I have noticed in the last couple of weeks a considerable drop in fps, micro stutters and slow texture-loading (change views and the ground scenery comes up in blocks). It's beginning to look and perform more like my rig of old than the new one.As always I close unwanted progs down and defrag once a week, and have added or removed nothing significant.I know this is like asking "how long is a piece of string?" but is there some obvious reason for this? Is there something specific I should look for?

Maybe a little detective work is in order...look at the processes tab in task manager for CPU usage by another process.Often when rebuilding Rome, I forget about all the Windows tweaks I made along the way...turning off the indexing service and file read timestamping etc. Could be you have a service running in the background causing some of this.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest pilotbrian0

Here's a biggy, did you reinstall? or just plug the harddrive in and hope it worked?The latter often results in temporarily better performance before Windows gets confused and starts thinking you have the older hardware installed (I've actually seen it listed in hardware manager before as crazy as that is).I've seen Windows slow down to old CPU speeds a couple weeks after an upgrade. Linux won't do it, Solaris sometimes will, but with Windows XP, it's pretty predictable.The solution is to reinstall everything from scratch, and then go through and tweak Windows and FS.If you did that already, then I can only say, it's possible you have a corrupted file somewhere in either the Windows folder or the FS9 folder, Running Scandisk in Windows will find that.Other than that, more information would be needed to track down the particular problem you're experiencing.-Brian

I would agree with Brian that re-installing XP is essential if you fit a new motherboard.Have you tried re-installing FS, or even just deleting the FS.cgf file (not sure if you only use FS9).Good luck, I'm also looking for a gremlin on my home-built system :). Once you find them all it's certainly worth building your own PC, but getting there can be frustrating at times.Bruce.64*2 4500+ / ASUS A8N32-SLI / Corsair TWINX 1048M 3500LL (2*1 GB) / 7600GT.