Sign in to follow this  
Guest TPN_Turnip

RIP Spanaway Airport

Guest TPN_Turnip

I took all my flight training at a small "mom & pop" airport called Spanaway Airport (S44). At 20 X 3700, this was not an easy place to learn to land by any means. The width slapped many pilots trying to learn to fly but after they learned there, we knew that they could fly/land anywhere. Due to the ever expanding urban sprawl, Spanaway airport is now on the chopping block. Slated to be replaced by 188 homes. Why am I telling you this? I'm not exactly sure. I think it has something to do with the fact that everywhere I look, there is another GA airport disapperaing. The increase in fuel costs, insurance and maintenance has all but killed the GA business. Now, because I am not wealthy I am left to fly flight sims mostly. Granted, I occasionally take to the skies with other people who "split the cost" but it is not, and never will be the same. I look to Microsoft, Radar Contact, FS Nav and 100's of other programs / flight enthusiasts to fill a void that will never actually be filled. There is a poem that has been around for many years. It has a line in it that says... "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, reached out my hands and touched the face of God." Been there... Done that... Have the memories! Good bye Spanaway!System Specs:P4 3.0SB LiveATI Radeon X800 GTO (256)1 Gig DDR RAM

Guest thedoggg

That's sad to hear and this is happening all over and not only to airports. Classic buildings are being torn down to make way for skyscrapers and natural areas are being eaten up by urban sprawl. I have witnessed this all over Miami and the surrounding areas and the last ten years have been brutal. Very sad indeed.Regards Carlos