Sign in to follow this  
Guest jacob001

Devon in FS?

Guest jacob001

No jokes about farmers or any other Devon jokes permitted - and don't you dare quote that rhyme about "Devon born and Devon bred/ strong in the arm but thick in the 'ead." :-) (I've probably confused everybody who's not English; I shan't even try to explain!)Let's face it, Devon looks terrible in FS. Dartmoor's an almost garish green, the houses in Plymouth have swimming pools in their back gardens, most of it is so flat it may as well be Holland, Exeter is almost nonexistent and the list goes on... I've been trying to make it at least resemble the reality and have been looking at the various VFR photographic sceneries around. Does anyone have either the Horizon Simulations VFR Photographic Scenery or the JustFlight one (which I'm leaning towards at the moment). What do you think of them? How bad were the tolls on framerates? To any who have both - which was the best?I've never used a photographic scenery - except one of the Bay of Cadiz that I could never actually find when flying - so I don't really know much about it. Does it look very 2D until you reach a comparatively high altitude?Thanks,Jacob Fordham

I've got the Horizon UK VFR sceneries,there's really no effect on the frame rate, but it's best to fly at around 150 knots or less to avoid the blurries and at 3,000 feet or more otherwise it doesn't look too good, this presumably will be better in FSX. I thought the Just Flight version was only for FSX so if you're sticking with FS9 as your posting in the FS9 forum implies, you are stuck with Horizon. If you like I will post some screenshots if you say which places you're interested in.John

Jacob,Some better landclass files will help your situation.Either download UK_landclass by R.Taburet over at 'the other site' or / and get Ultimate Terrain Europe. This will transform Europe into an accurate mass of roads, railways, water features and coastlines. It also includes highly accurate landclass in urban areas. Works amazingly well with GE ground textures and some good mesh.Glenn

I bought the Just Flight UK Photographic Scenery for FS9 while ago. There are three names on the back of the box - Just Flight, Getmapping, and Visual Flight.

>>Let's face it, Devon looks terrible in FS. Dartmoor's an>almost garish green, Exeter is almost nonexistent >Thanks,>Jacob FordhamJacob, have you seen the desert surround EGTE Exeter in FSX set to this time of the year?I don't ever remember Dartmoor or any where in Devon looking anything else but green, all year around.BTW when will we see you at the Ipplepen FS club?

Dave Taylor gb.png

http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/160474.jpgwell i live in Devonport and plymouth it is well represented in my version of FS. for the summer i use the VFR terrain and photo scenery, and for nighttime and other seasons i use FS terrain along with Roads and rivers of europe. combined with Nick Ryall's scenery addons, i have the parkway, the torpoint ferries, the brunnel and saltash bridges, smeatons tower, the dockyard with sub alongside and the break water, i even have St Nicholas Isle (AKA Drakes Island) that was missed out by MS.