Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnnyh

Buttons

Guest johnnyh

Hi, everyone, I know how to fly a plane in FS9 very well, I can do an ILS approach and all that but there are a few things I don't know, what does the yaw damper and the backcourse buttons do? Thanks in advanceJohn Hudson

Guest LAzerxxx

John, I only know about the yaw dampers as I have never used the backcourse before.Yaw dampers, a hydraulic system used to stabilize the rudder. Used specifically on large aircraft due to the size of the stabilizer. it helps the A/c to hold a hdg/crs by dampening the buffeting and crosswind effect on the stabilizer.

Guest PARADISE

>Hi, everyone, I know how to fly a plane in FS9 very well, I>can do an ILS approach and all that but there are a few things>I don't know, what does the yaw damper and the backcourse>buttons do? Thanks in advance>>John HudsonHi John,The backcourse button is used for a backcourse approach. It is a non-precission approach, using the reciprocal of an ILS approach. It is usualy marked as ILS/LOC BC approach. It is used to fly an approach to a runway that only has an ILS/LOC approach for one direction.For example,let's say we have an ILS 27 approach for runway 9/27. We can fly the ILS to runway 27, however if runway 9 is in use we can fly the 'backcourse' to ILS 27 using the ILS 27 approach. To do this tune in ILS 27 as normal, then follow radar vectors or allign your airplane for an approach to runway 9. Once cleared for the approach and the localizer has been intercepted, engage the backcourse button. Be aware that the needle indications will be reversed as compared to a normal ILS approach since you are coming from the opposite direction. Fly the approach like a normal localizer or VOR approach, There will be NO glide slope guidance. You will have to maitain altitude manually.With all that said, normally if there is a backcourse approach for a particular runway you will also find a GPS approach. Fly those instead, they are more acurate and easier to fly.Hope that helped, It's hard to describe without being able to show you.John Maane

Guest johnnyh

Thanks you both :)John Hudson

Guest LAzerxxx

No problem John, that's why we're here :D