Sign in to follow this  
Epikk

VERY good FFS SAAB 340 review

considering how past reviews of certain unnamed products have received glowing reviews, I am amazed at how critical this review was, even about little things that are minor. I don't agree with that review at all, going out of your way to nitpick just to find negatives while other reviewers evade the negatives altogether is just another example of the bizarre extreme I always seem to read from each review.

I also agree with the review. Between the frustrating panel switching interface (talk about alphabet soup), confusing tutorial and uninspiring VC it's just not an add-on I plan to use anymore. I do hope they improve on these issues because it has a lot of potential.

Guest JTEK99

>considering how past reviews of certain unnamed products have>received glowing reviews, I am amazed at how critical this>review was, even about little things that are minor. I don't>agree with that review at all, going out of your way to>nitpick just to find negatives while other reviewers evade the>negatives altogether is just another example of the bizarre>extreme I always seem to read from each review.Big Al:You hit the nail on the head. It's satisfying to read an accurate and honest review of a product, but it completely mystifies me that the other extreme -- ultra-positive, glowing commentary about a product with nary a mention of huge, glaring problems -- is the more common.Wait a second... I just realized that FFS doesn't advertise here. Hmmm... I wonder.... :)

>Wait a second... I just realized that FFS doesn't advertise>here. Hmmm... I wonder.... :)>First off, ignorant commments like the above really do cheese off the AVSIM staff including all the reviewers.Second, AVSIM staff reviewers and senior reviewers are not provided with a list of advertisers, that is handled by a different department altogether.Third, AVSIM staff reviewers and senior reviewers are not given any "instructions" from AVSIM administration as to how the review should read... positive or negative.Fourth, the AVSIM staff reviewers and senior reviewers encompass a broad base of flight/sim experience and personal likes/dislikes and our reviews are based on our own personal experience with a given product. So what one reviewer likes and "glows" about may be a product that another reviewer doesn't particularly like. The products for review are selected on a first come first serve basis from a review list of products sent to AVSIM for review or a specific reviewer can ask for a product which is then handled by our editor.Enjoy and appreciate the fact that you have this free venue for you to use, read reviews, download addon product (freeware or payware), participate in forum discussions, but don't come into our backyard and start throwing out insults. That kind of rude behaviour is something I am sure you wouldn't appreciate in your own backyard now is it?

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Somebody over at Flight Factory Simulations didn't do their homework.The Saab 340 from FFS costs: $34.99 Flight 1's ATR costs: $34.95Ricardo

Yeah... And the F1 ATR was out 2 years before the FFS SAAB... but is still so much better. Somebody over at Flight Factory Simulations defintely didn't do their homework.

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Sometimes I just don't understand how flightsim developers operate and think. I mean, if I were to put out a product that directly competes with another product (both the Saab and the ATR are regional turboprops), I would make #### sure my product is better than the competition. If it's freeware, ok, we honor the effort -but as soon as you start charging $$, all the usual rules of competition in a market economy apply.ricardo

I also very much agree with the reviewer. I bought the Saab the very first day it was released. The day after it was uninstalled and put in the trash bin. :-)What surprises me is that it was in development for a very long time,..and we should all expect a lot better.This is one of the few addon purchases I regret big time. ;-)http://www.scandicair.com/images/sa_banner.gifDell Dimension 4600 P4/2.8 at 3.0 Ghz1024 Mb DDR333 Dual channel memory (2x256,1x512)AGP 256 Mb ATI Radeon X850 Pro ViVo, flashed to a X850 XT PE. Omega 2.6.87 (CAT 5.12)DirectX 9.0cW XP Home with SP2E171FPb Flat panel monitor 17"370Gb HD (120 GB Maxtor, 250GB Samsung) 7200rpm ATA Lacie 250Gb Extern HDBlogg: http://blogg.passagen.se/primeaviFiles: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=...&Go=Change+View

Staffan

Honestly, I liked it. Its a fun plane to mess around with. I dont see what some guys dont like about it.And on the review, I found my frames higher that the ATR. Its the hardest on performance of the three listed (for me).Im off to fly. My SAAB is calling my name. :)

honestly what is so bad about it? its VC looks far better than the Flight1 ATR with better night lighting options, I don't understand the complaints with the 2d panels, sure the soundset isnt the best but someone put a new soundset in the avsim library. Seriously, whats so bad about it that would make people uninstall it after their first day??

Honestly... 2D panelsNot photoreal-like_ which I prefer.Really NOT intuitive to nagivate through them : the buttons are a bit small. Not well thought IMO. And the buttons for the AP are difficult to read... VCIt's SO FLAT. Not perspective at all. I prefer 3D modelled buttons like in the ATR, PMDG, DA,...Textures in it not nice, and in my PC, they take ages to load... I like night lightning option though. There is SO MUCH difference between the external model (VERY GOOD) and the cockpit (SO POOR, compared to 2day's standards) it's like not the same person made them. No harmony... Honestly, after 3 years of work... 2 years after ATR's out. And especially when I look at what other paywares companies (Digital Aviation, DF, SD,...) offer today. I'm disapointed and I certainly expected more...

Oh!And you're right the FFS runs smoother on my PC than the F1 ATR...

I dont know eathier, Alex ( Me and you are always on the same page, bro. :) )Maybe I just like it so much that nothing stands out to me. Plus, isnt it the only SAAB 340 we have? I will admit that I wish the VC was little more 3d, but I love it anyways. Its fun to tinker with. :)