Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eagletail

Rudder vs. aileron assignment

Guest Eagletail

I just bought Digital Aviation's Dornier DO-27 a few days ago and am loving every bit of it. This is a top-notch product for the FS community.The only thing I am struggling with is making turns on the ground. This appears to be due to which control assignments are chosen in FS9. Let me explain a little more. The rudder is not readily available unless you decide to use either the x- or the y-axis in FS9's control assignments. I am currently using the x-axis for the ailerons and the y-axis for the elevators. This means, in effect, that the rudder is unavailable. Because of this, I am dependent upon the ailerons to help me make turns while on the ground, something which usually isn't a problem with other aircraft in FS9. Turning in the Dornier without this, can be a slow process. I did reassign the x-axis to the rudders, just to try this out, and this worked perfectly with the DO-27. The only problem is once you are in the air, you will need the x-axis for the ailerons! What can I do? I still find turning very difficult without the rudder. Is there a way of using the joystick for ailerons, rudders and elevators - or am I limited to only TWO? Hope someone can make some suggestions. Thanks. :)

Guest jgreth123

I've answered you in the Digital Aviation forum.However, to save you some time:This is more of a basic FS9 usage question, but you can go to your Realism settings ( under Aircraft menu ) and check the 'Auto Rudder' box.This makes the rudder also work in sync with the ailerons ( coordinated turns ). All you'll have to do is turn ( perform a roll using the ailerons ) and your rudder will work.Hope this helps.

Guest Eagletail

>... you can go to your Realism settings ( under Aircraft menu ) and check the 'Auto Rudder' box.Thank you very much, Jeff. I didn't see your reply in the Digital Aviation forum until after I had made inquiries here. I did try your suggestion, but this didn't help, unfortunately. When making turns on the ground, the Dornier continues to make wide swings. The auto rudder choice just doesn't make a difference. :-(

Guest jgreth123

The rudder CAN be used to steer on the ground but it's unreliable, delayed, and bad for the engine/brakes.In order for it to work, you must keep the throttle up very high to get enough airflow over the rudder to make it have any effect on the turn. Once turning it's very delayed to make it stop ( takes a lot of air pushing on the rudder to negate a sharp turn ). Meanwhile, the engine is at high RPM/ata, you have to be extra hard on the brakes causing wear on your engine + brakes.As Marcel suggested, use F11/F12 for differential braking until you can get your hands on some rudder pedals ( with toe brakes ).

Guest Eagletail

Thanks, Jeff, your advice here is appreciated. I apparently need to get hold of a newer joystick and maybe even some pedals to make the FS experience more enjoyable. If differential braking works, I can try that in the mean time. Thanks for excellent support. Visit www.digital-aviation.de! ;)

Guest Cindy_Zoonan

you can get a joystick with a twist handle. the twist is for the rudder function. Saitek, Logitech make very inexpensive (~$40) twist handle joysticks that are pleasant to use. In my own experience the twist function translates very well to real world flying where you have to push the rudder.

Guest Eagletail

>you can get a joystick with a twist handle...Thanks for the suggestion, Cindy. I'm definitely going to look into this! ;-)