Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

Out of memory

Guest Pilot533

FS9 gave me the out of memory message during a decent, with the mdmax md80, squawkbox connected with alot of atc and normal traffic, when I panned to the right window in the 2d cockpit it gave me the message that fs had run out of mem and needed to close. I did disable the paging file but I thought my 2GB of ram would be enough esspecially when using smart close which is simmilar to fsautostart. Is this simply the paging file or something else?

Guest baksteen33

Is the FS9.1 update installed? Good luck. Kind regards Jaap

I've got my page file set to zero and the FSX memory tip set to cache. Today I did a flight from CYWG to CYYZ about 2 hours. Opened FSNav also. Memory went from 1 gig at the start to as low a s 270 megs left according to task manager. No out of memory error. I use FS9. I only got 1 gig. Am going to 4 soon.Who knows.JimCYWG

there are many possible reasons. corrupt ai repaint, duplicate afcads, corrupt scenery texture, but I would not recommend setting your page file to zero.

Guest Pilot533

I tried fs manager, it found 17 problems so i hope that will fix it.

It's the Super 80, it has a memory leak somewhere. I've had the same problem and eventualy grounded the 80. Checkout their forum at s80.flight1.net.Dave FisherCYYZP4 Prescott 3.2e 478p 800mhz 1mg CPUP4P800SE Asus Motherboard2.5 gig PC3200 DDR RAM 400MHZNvidia 7600GT/512Maxtor 80 Gig ATA 133 HD x2WDC WD800 80 Gig HDhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

What dave said above is true. I had to ground my Coolsky MD-80 too because of OOM errors.Also, I hear if you have an addon scenery folder with an empty texture folder it will give you an OOM error.

I only have 512 mb ram ansd never ran in to a problem like this. I also have the super80 but never really got around to flying it because i find it to be a very diffrent aircraft which can take some time to learn, and time is not something i have too often. So i cant comment on it being that

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest aarskringspier

Its not the super80 its a cobination of a million different factor. if it was the Super80 every single user would have it. A true memory leak isnt subjective it would happen to everyones system. Do a search on it read UT forums there is a billion reasons why and some are just about imnpossible to find.

Well for me I have never had an OOM error using any combo of add on's until I used the Super80.So for me it came down to the super80 as the culprit. If I don't use the super80 I don't get OOM errors.For me the super80 IS the OOM error problem.

FS9 has always yielded a slow memory leak on my system over time, even with no add-ons, and even after the 9.1 patch. I flew an example flight today for this post, back and forth over the Phoenix metro area for at least 30 minutes. The last two thirds of the flight is shown in the memory graph here, which shows how much memory is free. On FS9's launch, I had approx. 220 megs free (out of 512 megs installed). I charted memory usage using 30 second samples. The result is over default scenery, using a default aircraft, and shows a gradual but steady soaking up of memory during the half hour or so I ran the test.This test was performed even with no autogen or AI running. Simply letting the system go with minimal load. Something seems to chomp away at free memory and doesn't give it back while the sim is running. With FS9 retired, I doubt there would be much research. And since many have a gig of memory on their systems, they either reach a plateau where the memory used doesn't increase, or they can't fly long enough to hit the point where the free memory is gone.-Johnhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161044.jpg

I found what I think is my cause for the OOM leak I've seen. When I ran my previous test, I didn't factor in USA Roads which has become part of my default FS2004 landscape. Since installation, I only had run with major roads, and I've never had any visible ill effects in my scenery--no odd artifacts, no sudden crashes to desktop. Most of my MSFS sessions never lasted more than an hour or two, so the memory issues I've known about I've always had in the back of my mind.Anyway, I realized my post didn't factor out USA Roads, so I thought "What the heck", and disabled them and went back to the default roads. I went back to the same test--a long circuit around Phoenix metro area. And I am astonished to find my free memory is virtually unchanged during the entire flight, at or about 240 megs free, and only seemed to jump when I switched views.Now what would cause a memory leak from this add on? The roads display, and I fly over the same area in a repeated pattern covering about 60 nautical miles. There's no empty texture subfolder in the USA Roads folder. But something isn't letting go of the memory once its used, and the pattern seems pretty consistent wherever USA roads appear.Here's my chart from the Non-USA roads session:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/161057.jpg

Interesting find, this could have carried over to some of us who use Ultimate Terrain as I am sure the same type of data is used.Maybe a post over at simforums.com to get their attention would help

Just for fun, try re-running the test with detailed polygons disabled. That seems to have solved (or at least postponed) the problem for me.DJ